Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 21:18   #2371
D C
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Here is another instance of Chennai City Traffic Police trying to fool us around.

Source: Facebook page of 92.7 BIG FM Balaji
Quote:
By P Nakkeeran Nakkeeran

Today afternoon by mistake I took a U turn @ RK Salai & Royapetteha High Road junction. There's no U turn allowed in the signal.
The constable stopped me and asked me to look at the sign board. I said sorry I didn't see it. He than said for U turn violation the fine is Rs 1000/- and if I book it as over speeding it's just Rs 400/-. Shall I book it as over speeding? I said you please book it as U turn signal violation only, I will pay you the amount that's printed in the receipt only.
He then started to convince me saying that paying Rs 1000/- as fine for a U turn signal violation is utter nonsense. I will book it as overt speeding. He then said I'm only doing good for you. Why do you want to waste money?
I knew that the fine for U turn signal violation was not Rs 1000/-. I thought if he gives me a fine receipt for Rs 1000/- then I will report it to the concerned authorities and take necessary action against him.
Unfortunately it seems that the digital receipt printer doesn't allow him to manipulate fine amounts. Finally after 5 mins the constable said this is the final warning make a quick decision else you will have to waste Rs 1000/-. I said book the complaint as it happened. He then booked it as U turn signal violation only and gave me a fine receipt for Rs 100/-. He didn't even have the guts to look at my face after that. I paid Rs 100/- and left.
His idea was to book high amounts for each violation and achieve the days fine collection target at the earliest and leave the place
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-traffic-ticket.jpg  

D C is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 22:04   #2372
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennai Airport Query

I have not been there for about 15 months. Can someone answer the following questions, please?

--- Is there still an eating place, Sangeetha etc, accessible from the outside. There used to be one at the old international terminal

--- What is the parking charge for an hour or two? I know it has been hiked and most people try to get in and out in the allowed number of minutes, but what if one needs to stay? How much does it cost? Is there still a lower-cost option further from the terminal?

--- Can I park on the city-bound carriage of the main road, around the start of the flyover, and walk into the airport and the international arrivals? Last time I met my wife incoming, I stayed there until she phoned me so I could do a quick pick up. This time, the arriving person will not be able to phone me.

Last question. The arrivee is headed to Tambaram to catch a bus to Auroville. I don't know Tambaram at all. There is a main bus station on the main road, right? Is that where I should drop her? Is there an easy drive-in/park veggie restaurant nearby?

Gosh, I sound like a tourist!
Old 12th January 2015, 22:20   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
--- Is there still an eating place, Sangeetha etc, accessible from the outside. There used to be one at the old international terminal
Yes. Sangeetha is still there and accessible from outside. You dont have to get inside the airport

Quote:
--- What is the parking charge for an hour or two? I know it has been hiked and most people try to get in and out in the allowed number of minutes, but what if one needs to stay? How much does it cost? Is there still a lower-cost option further from the terminal?
I think there is a cheaper version of parking right around the exit gate. Others are like 100 rs i guess. Best option is to avoid parking inside the airport.

A better option is while coming from tambaram, there is a hotel/kind of hotel just before the airport. I usually park there and wait inside the car even if patrol is roaming around.
Usually you can get away with the patrol as its too far away from airport.

Quote:
--- Can I park on the city-bound carriage of the main road, around the start of the flyover, and walk into the airport and the international arrivals? Last time I met my wife incoming, I stayed there until she phoned me so I could do a quick pick up. This time, the arriving person will not be able to phone me.
Avoid the ones near the flyover. It just messes up the traffic and you will be part of the nuisance you always hated. The better option is on the side from Pallavaram to Airport. Roads are super wide and just 200m before you enter the airport you can park your cark on the sides and mostly avoid even the patrol.

Quote:
Last question. The arrivee is headed to Tambaram to catch a bus to Auroville. I don't know Tambaram at all. There is a main bus station on the main road, right? Is that where I should drop her? Is there an easy drive-in/park veggie restaurant nearby?
Tambaram has multiple options. the best is to get inside for few minutes where you have A2B etc. But your better option is while coming from Airport you can stop at Chrompet or between chrompet to Sanatorium there are multiple food joints, a2b's and what not. Finish your food there and just drop her right opposite the railway station in Tambaram.

I am wondering if Tambaram is a better option or Thirivanmayur for Auroville.
Old 13th January 2015, 00:01   #2374
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Chennai Airport Query

Gosh, I sound like a tourist!
Sir, I have been there couple of times last month. I do not suggest you park at the beginning of the flyover and walk to the Airport. This is a no-parking zone and heavily patrolled by traffic police.

Parking charges within the airport is free for the first 10 minutes. From 10 minutes to 4 hours they charge a flat Rs. 135/-

The best vegetarian restaurant I can think of is Adyar Anand Bhavan near Chromepet. If you are heading towards Tambaram from Airport, the restaurant is right after the flyover that comes after Pallavaram signal, on your right.
Old 13th January 2015, 08:40   #2375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai Airport Query

Last question. The arrivee is headed to Tambaram to catch a bus to Auroville. I don't know Tambaram at all. !
@Thad E Ginathom,

Parking fees are steep ; typically one ends up paying 135 .The first 10 mins is free.

The zone around the Airport is a strict NO PARKING unless you find some alley closeby where you can park.You will definitely not find any alley at less than 500 metres from the Airport.

For Auroville , I suggest you take the arriving guest to Madhya Kailash/Eekatuthangal - there are a lot of buses to Pondicherry via ECR and some nice AC volvos too.The PRTC volvos are better than the TNSTC ones.

These buses originate at Koyambedu and come via Vadapalani,Ashok Pillar and Eekatuthangal.

My reco to you would be Eekatuthangal bus stop on the main road.

Perungalathur (after Tambaram) is an option but quite a mess.There are a lot of buses to Pondicherry that take NH45 too - much faster route than ECR.
Old 13th January 2015, 09:19   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai Airport Query

Can I park on the city-bound carriage of the main road, around the start of the flyover, and walk into the airport and the international arrivals?

Last question. The arrivee is headed to Tambaram to catch a bus to Auroville. I don't know Tambaram at all.
What time is the arrival? Car can be parked inside the Tirusulam railway station premises for a while and you can walk in to the airport (using the pedestrian subway), but then it is on the other side of the road. If you can take someone else with you, send them in to the airport and stay in the car, pretending you are waiting for someone arriving by train! As soon as the other person calls, you can proceed towards Pallavaram, take a U turn at Alstom signal and proceed to the airport.

Catching a bus for Pondy at Tambaram is a bad idea. Most buses skip the place and go to Perungalathur. If there is not much luggage, catch a bus at Guindy, at the entrance to the Industrial Estate. All Pondy bound buses stop there. Else, better to catch a bus at CMBT.
Old 13th January 2015, 10:14   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
This Monday, took Ola mini from Rajakilpakkam to Airport early morning at 4 p.m, the charge is 196.
I second you

Been using Ola for a while now & I'm quite happy with their service. Especially the Ola money (works only through mobile app) where you can pay through credit card to recharge & then pay through Ola money. Plus, if you've guests & can't accompany them, this facility helps to book the cab no matter where the guests are located & the taxi reaches their place & we can use Ola money from our account to pay (if you want to)

They also have clean cabs, neat drivers & have good standards (no fast driving) be it Bangalore, Bombay or Madras.

Edit - Forgot to mention about Ola Auto service in Madras, where Govt approved meter rates are charged & a service fee of Rs 10 (not sure why, but still worth). I wasn't able to try an auto though, but, they're available on limited basis. Means, if the auto is somewhere nearby, one can avail the service, but one cannot call the auto for sure, unlike Ola cabs where plenty of them ply through the city & quite likely one can find the closest one quickly.

Last edited by aargee : 13th January 2015 at 10:19.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 10:35   #2378
Distinguished - BHPian

Airport Help: Thanks!

Thank you all for the very full replies

Obviously things have tightened up a lot on the main road. Last time I collected a returning wife, there was plenty of non-obstructing parking space at the Pallavaram end of the flyover (although I did not leave the car, I just waited for wife's call). I'll be approaching the airport from side, from the Pallavaram flyover.

135Rs is ok. From the complaints I've heard, I thought it would run into many hundreds, rising every minute! Of course, 135 for 10 minutes and one second is a bit steep. I don't mind spending 135.

Eating options look like Sangeetha inside or Adyar Ananada Bhavan just down the road. Thanks.

She has made her own travel plans, so I'll just fit in with those and take her wherever she wants. Except Pondy, of course: I'm too old to do that return trip in an afternoon

This is one of the many meetings that arise from internet forums, an online friend from Indiamike. An assignation with a russian lady --- but don't worry, wife knows!

I used to know the airport reallt well, but since the new terminal building opened, I have no clue. Anyway, today's the day to find out.

Thanks again for the help

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th January 2015 at 02:17. Reason: only 2 smileys per post please, thanks
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 11:42   #2379
Distinguished - BHPian

Too late to edit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Catching a bus for Pondy at Tambaram is a bad idea. Most buses skip the place and go to Perungalathur...
Probably too late, as I have to leave in less than an hour, but can somebody pin-point the location? Is the bus stop simply on the main road?
Old 13th January 2015, 11:52   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too late to edit...

Probably too late, as I have to leave in less than an hour, but can somebody pin-point the location? Is the bus stop simply on the main road?
Yes, opposite to Guindy station on the main road , just after Indian Bank and before the entrance to the Industrial estate. There is a bus shelter on the road, you can't miss it. This is for long distance buses. Pondy buses come every 30 minutes or so, but we can't predict whether it will be AC or not. Parking the car there may also pose a problem.

Safest bet will be to take her to CMBT and select a waiting AC bus, since she is a foreigner. She will have to take a taxi to Auroville from pondy.
Old 13th January 2015, 12:16   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, and thanks for PM-ing me your number. I'll take that with me in case of confusion on the spot.

You may recall that I live to the South of Thiruvanmiyur. For entirely selfish reasons, I do not relish the return journey to CMBT! I'm not even enthusiastic about going via Guindy. As I can reach OMR easily from my house, the route to/from the airport via Pallavaram is really really easy, and I would rather stay on that side.
Old 13th January 2015, 12:27   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may recall that I live to the South of Thiruvanmiyur. For entirely selfish reasons, I do not relish the return journey to CMBT!
Pondicherry-bound buses plying via ECR pick up passengers in front of the Marutheeswara temple in Thiruvanmiyur. I have seen even A/c buses doing that. Parking would be easier here.
Old 13th January 2015, 12:28   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may recall that I live to the South of Thiruvanmiyur. I'm not even enthusiastic about going via Guindy. As I can reach OMR easily from my house, the route to/from the airport via Pallavaram is really really easy, and I would rather stay on that side.
In that case, she can board the bus at Tiruvanmiyur, at the mofussil bus stop. Go past Tiruvanmiyur bus stand, take the right turn to ECR and this bus stop is on your left side, just near the Marundeeswar temple. Put her on board a bus and proceed home!

Just ensure a seat is available, before she boards the bus.

Last edited by Gansan : 13th January 2015 at 12:31.
Old 13th January 2015, 12:46   #2384
Distinguished - BHPian

I know that bus stop well. The buses often get in my way
Old 13th January 2015, 22:48   #2385
Distinguished - BHPian

A Tale of Airports, Eating and Wrong Turnings...

What a journey!

Getting to the airport was, as usual, no problem at all. Yes, I see they have filled in and paved the old "parking places" that I used before, and added no-parking signs.

I parked inside. Rs.135, no problem. I had the right money available, in case of not being given any change.

Had a wander around and noticed that the Sangeeta was closed and dead (is there a new one I didn't find?

Met my friend, and headed back to the road. We stopped at Balaji [?] Bhavan and enjoyed a mini-meal each, followed by several rounds of tea and conversation.

I took her to Perungalathur bus stand and dropped her off. Yes, she is a foreigner, but she has worked teaching meditation to village folk, and she knows more Tamil than I do, so leaving her to her own resources was fine at that point. I'm sure she did better than I did...

Actually, my first mistake happened before dropping her. I misread the road and got onto Chennai Bypass instead. That road is a lot easier to get on than to get off: It was a long way before I could do a U-turn.

Second mistake: I looked at the traffic heading city-bound, and thought I'd drive down to the zoo and turn left. The bad stuff soon started.

Third mistake was to take what I thought was just the left hand lane and it turned out to be fit only for small vehicles. With a wall on one side, and the left front wheel stuck in a hole I was in a bad way. I managed to rock the car to get momentum to get out of the hole, but dented the door in the process. I had planned to touch up all the dings and scratches at the next service, but I had not planned on adding another major one first

At this point, I had hit heavy traffic going the other way. The distance to the zoo road was further than I thought, and I had forgotten that it is a considerably longer route. Even if I had spent an hour in traffic getting back to Pallavaram flyover it would have taken me about 1/3rd the time to get home.

A quick trip to meet someone passing through the airport turned into a travelogue! I should have done a round journey of 30-40km: I ended up driving over 100.

I've taken some notable wrong turnings in my time, but those I took today probably make my record for time wasted ...and repair bills!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks