Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 22:45   #2536
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Whenever there is fairly moderate to heavy rain Usman road gets jammed very badly specifically in the direction towards Nungambakkam. Best to avoid it altogether.
Old 6th August 2015, 13:51   #2537
BHPian

Not just Usman road, I think most of the roads. You just need to visit the OMR, after a heavy rain, and its time to pull out the canoes. And to add to it inconsiderate motorists!! Some of them are not even aware of the problem they cause by splashing water(+ sewage) on others, and happily zip through.
Old 6th August 2015, 14:29   #2538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Not just Usman road, I think most of the roads. You just need to visit the OMR, after a heavy rain, and its time to pull out the canoes. And to add to it inconsiderate motorists!! Some of them are not even aware of the problem they cause by splashing water(+ sewage) on others, and happily zip through.
I have been avoiding OMR for that reason.
The PM is in Chennai tomorrow. Expect traffic holdups. Wish the itinerary was known can plan accordingly.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:41   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Whenever there is fairly moderate to heavy rain Usman road gets jammed very badly specifically in the direction towards Nungambakkam. Best to avoid it altogether.
Living in T.Nagar since childhood. Have never venture into Usman Road unless destination is there (still would be done with as many workarounds to avoid it). Its been that way even in the 80s, hasn't got any better over time either.

Combination of Tank Bund Road, Lake Area inner roads, Thirumalai Pillai Road, Arulambal Street, Ragavaiah Road, GN Chetty Road, Venkatanarayana Road is what I've used. It won't be fast but atleast you won't get stuck or crawl inch-by-inch anywhere except for couple of predictable traffic signals (Valluvar Kottam, GN Chetty Road-Ragavaiah Road intersection).
Old 7th August 2015, 11:11   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I have been avoiding OMR for that reason.
The PM is in Chennai tomorrow. Expect traffic holdups. Wish the itinerary was known can plan accordingly.
Did not want to take any chances, took the bye-pass and had a peaceful travel. Not sure what awaits me in the evening!!
Old 8th August 2015, 14:22   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
took the bye-pass
Please excuse off-topic nitpicking, and nothing personal, because I have seen this misunderstanding several times recently: hearts and cities have bypasses

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:05   #2542
BHPian

^^^ @Thad : thanks, just that the spell checkers have made me a bit more lazier than before. So these days its looking our for those alerts rather than proof reading, as we used to do in the earlier day!!

Any idea of the agitation at Sholinganallur today? Again caught in the traffic jam this morning. Why cant the political parties takes some quite spot for their agitations rather than causing inconvenience to public.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 18:10   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ @Thad : thanks, just that the spell checkers have made me a bit more lazier than before. So these days its looking our for those alerts rather than proof reading, as we used to do in the earlier day!!

Any idea of the agitation at Sholinganallur today? Again caught in the traffic jam this morning. Why cant the political parties takes some quite spot for their agitations rather than causing inconvenience to public.
Raghu, todays agitation is "Closing of TASMAC Shops" by opponent party DMK. I just missed the pile up by few minutes around the signal junction.
After 1 hr when I looked at the road I could see at least 2-3 kms traffic all the way from SNR signal and going beyond CTS thoraipakkam...

So pathetic.. guys who came from Tidel and drove towards SNR or Siruseri were the worst affected.

Need to put a law to do all meetings and agitation outside the city limit.
Old 11th August 2015, 14:34   #2544
Senior - BHPian

^^^Not to mention that the public had to undergo all this ruckus, for something that none of the parties have an interest or will to enforce, given that TASMAC contributes 25% of the state's tax revenue (of the State's projected tax revenue of 96,083.14 crore, the projected revenue from TASMAC was expected to be 29,672 crore).

A big chunk that no Government can do without. Same story in most other states too.
Old 11th August 2015, 14:55   #2545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
...given that TASMAC contributes 25% of the state's tax revenue...

A big chunk that no Government can do without.
Well, whatever be the compulsions, neighbouring Kerala has decided it can do without this revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
something that none of the parties have an interest or will to enforce
Stalin's on record saying that "implementing prohibition will be the first task if DMK is voted to power". Let us see how far he's willing to walk the talk.
Old 11th August 2015, 15:14   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Stalin's on record saying that "implementing prohibition will be the first task if DMK is voted to power". Let us see how far he's willing to walk the talk.
They've been saying this since time immemorial. So all this prohibition talk is best taken with a bucket load of salt
Old 11th August 2015, 15:32   #2547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
They've been saying this since time immemorial. So all this prohibition talk is best taken with a bucket load of salt
Well, TN's had more prohibition than sale of alcohol. If I recall correctly it (in all its avatars) has had only about 20 years of alcohol sales in the last 80 years.
Old 11th August 2015, 15:44   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If I recall correctly it (in all its avatars) has had only about 20 years of alcohol sales in the last 80 years.
I've seen wine shops all over Madras as a child in 80s. So its been there 30 years atleast, before that I don't know personally. Though I've read an article which had a newspaper clipping about bringing alchohol prohibition by DMK government that was dated in 70s. The same prohibition talk came up in 1996 state elections as well.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:32   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I've seen wine shops all over Madras as a child in 80s. So its been there 30 years atleast, before that I don't know personally.
Not 30 years; MGR relaxed prohibition in early eighties and reinstated it a few years later (87 or so) - part of the 20-odd years I counted. The move had received a fair bit of coverage in my home state (Kerala) too. Then I think it was relaxed only in 2002 or so.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:53   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Well, whatever be the compulsions, neighboring Kerala has decided it can do without this revenue.
TN atleast has 3/4th of the revenue coming from elsewhere. Without liquor revenue which forms the major part, KL would come to a standstill. So, it cannot do without this revenue. Even with no prohibition, the finances are pretty shaky.

And I don't think Kerala has done anything substantial on the prohibition front. The BEVCO (equivalent to TASMAC) shops are still there - with a plan to close 10% of those every year. But by the time the next year comes, it would be a new Govt and this plan would be chucked in the trash-bin.

What has been done is only to stop sales of hard-liquor in all bars except those in 5-star hotels. All the other bars (2-star, 3-star etc) have now become "Beer & Wine Parlours" selling beer - these are now dime a dozen and more common than tea-shops. So, while some excise revenue is lost due to not selling hard-liquor in bars, the overcrowded BEVCO shops still pull in max part of the revenue, with the beer-parlours getting the remaining action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Not 30 years; MGR relaxed prohibition in early eighties and reinstated it a few years later (87 or so) - part of the 20-odd years I counted. The move had received a fair bit of coverage in my home state (Kerala) too. Then I think it was relaxed only in 2002 or so.
While that is what Wiki says, I doubt that is correct. I don't know about how it was before the mid-eighties, but am sure that from 1988 till today, liquor has been available in TN without a break.
In between they banned arrack and later toddy too, but IMFL has been available all these years.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th August 2015 at 16:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks