This is it thanks to a bhpian who shared the pic ! This menace never ends
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-image.jpeg  

Old 29th August 2016, 22:57   #2807
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Politicians, deaths, gods... these are the things that bring our roads to a halt, whether we like them or not.
Add "Marathons" and ''Runs for a cause'' to this list.

I stay at the area opposite to Fortis Malar. Our area has 3 access points to main road. 1. Bang opposite to Malar Hospital 2. Further down to road towards Aavin Park 3. Besant Avenue Road. Today we were blocked on all 3 sides, had a hard time getting in and out of my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
it is after all much the same thing for various festivals of other religions where there's a procession. For the participants it is good fun (and drink etc), for motorists it is a huge pain regardless of which deity is supposed to be pleased by all these goings on.
Thats right, be it Mary Amma or Maari Amman the behavior is same. Mass goon mentality, a feeling of being invincible comes over these elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Sad to admit that I was a mute spectator to all the nonsense I was witness to.
I witnessed similar scenes while bring my daughter back from her pre-school this afternoon. Couple of these ''elements" were making fun of a group college girls @ the bus stand near my house. I got down from the car went over to the girls and told them to take an auto home, they were too scared with no one questioning the goons. Looking at me talking to them, the goons moved on. I had to move on because my car was blocking the traffic, the girls said ''Thanks Anna'', hope they reached hope safe. 50 meters down the road @ the junction to enter my area saw the friendly neighborhood cop regulating vehicles and walkers, these goons were just crossing the junction, as the traffic was moving too slowly, made sure I made some contact with one of these guys with my car , angered they banged my car and the cop saw them doing it and gave a good wack to one of the guys, they ran with their tails in between their legs. They were goons no more. I know what I did was not the best thing to do, but given the situation I was happy to get them the punishment they deserved.

Last edited by Archish : 29th August 2016 at 22:59.
Archish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 16:16   #2808
Distinguished - BHPian

Witnessed the jam of jams this morning at approx 10:15am from almost the foot of the bridge near Residency Hotel GNChetty Road till near the foot of Gemini , thanks to some Congress meeting.

It took me 45 minutes just to cross the GNC Road.

Last edited by vigsom : 30th August 2016 at 16:17. Reason: Addition
Old 30th August 2016, 17:04   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think there is another date in a few days time?
The next will be on Sept 8, thursday, when the festival ends.

Quote:
There is also a diversions statement in today's The Hindu, for those who need to visit that area. Probably best to simply not take the car!
The diversion never worked. I was stuck on LB road yesterday evening, returning from office. Traffic from Thiruvanmiyur towards Adyar on LB road was supposed to be diverted into 2nd Avenue, Indira Nagar, then through Kasturba Nagar 3rd cross and to join Sardar Patel road, keeping the LB road 'one way' for traffic from Adyar to Thiruvanmiyur. Guess the cops did not read the newspapers.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 20:43   #2810
BHPian

Huge traffic jam at OMR today - Kandanchavady to T.Nagar took 2.25 hours today. SRP to MadhyaKailash and traffic towards Rajbhavan is slow-moving. There is not much traffic once we turn into Kotturpuram.
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:53   #2811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Huge traffic jam at OMR today - Kandanchavady to T.Nagar took 2.25 hours today. SRP to MadhyaKailash and traffic towards Rajbhavan is slow-moving. There is not much traffic once we turn into Kotturpuram.
Monday onwards is going to be crazy. Ganesh Chaturthi on Monday, the church festival closing on the 8th, Ganesh visarjan processions too during the week.

Budget for plenty repeat plenty of time to travel, or take autos or indicas - they can dart into tiny corners that you will not want to take a personal car through.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:47   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB
Sorry. Did not understand what this pic is about.
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:56   #2813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
He was ranting about cops fining riders of expensive bikes, on petty pretexts such as "large tires, why are you riding an expensive bike, why are you wearing riding gear", possibly to make up a monthly target.

They routinely go after "bike racer" kids that ride heavily modded pulsars. KTM Dukes etc so that's part of it I guess, expensive and high performance bikes get targeted even if the riders are sober and keep within the speed limit.

Last edited by hserus : 3rd September 2016 at 15:59.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 11:49   #2814
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You can see all Harley riders who head out for a ride every weekend early morning. They all ride with proper gears and never ride fast inside city limits. But it has been usual that we can get stopped, as a courteous act, we do stop as to abide the laws, and we are imposed with unnecessary fines and chargesheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
possibly to make up a monthly target.
Yesterday around 40 riders including high end bikes have been stopped and were imposed fine of Rs.400 for illegal bike racing. City Police have turned their ugly faces to the riders everytime to meet their deadlines. This was being reported in media and papers for publicity.
Old 6th September 2016, 12:31   #2815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Why no, Go Pro?

That will help as evidence and publicly calling out bad police behavior.
You don't even need to tell them its recording. Just go with the flow and then upload on youtube and send to media.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:05   #2816
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why no, Go Pro?
They question us by showing the proof of the recording. We riders wont carry the cable so as to stream the vidoes. Rather than running behind them for all this, It is better to pay the fine and leave the spot asap.

Arguing with them for the proofs will rather make you land in deep trouble and they find every other way to extract money from you.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 13:38   #2817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
They question us by showing the proof of the recording. We riders wont carry the cable so as to stream the vidoes. Rather than running behind them for all this, It is better to pay the fine and leave the spot asap.

Arguing with them for the proofs will rather make you land in deep trouble and they find every other way to extract money from you.
This is not for showing the traffic police.

Its for uploading it on youtube at a LATER point of time.
Then sharing the video on social media to highlight how unfair the system is.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 13:23   #2818
BHPian

SOUTH CHENNAI TRAFFIC ALERT/ VAILANKANNI CHURCH FEST

Motorists who need to use the roads of Adyar - Besant Nagar - Thiruvanmiyur - Kotturpuram - RA Puram - ECR zones will be advised to avoid these spaces this evening and early Thursday morning.

The temple car procession on Wednesday evening and feast services on Thursday morning will draw a huge stream of pilgrims to the church in Besant Nagar. Chennai City Traffic Police has not put out any tips on this issue.

Better to avoid traffic than to getting involved in it.

Source: From a FB Post which was shared.
gm_arun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:00   #2819
Distinguished - BHPian

When is the idol immersion? Is it this coming weekend?

I ask not only to avoid the traffic, but because I want to walk to the beach and watch for a while. Never got around to seeing it until last year, and was really amazed and impressed, not only at the spectacle, but at the organization.
Old 8th September 2016, 17:53   #2820
Team-BHP Support

Why did the flyover construction at Arcot road Poonamallee High road stop? What is the reason? I guess traffic situation remains the same on Arcot road ? All the way from Vadapalani?

Most Viewed