Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 16:15   #3031
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Yes you can. Start in ecr and take a right at Neelankarai will lead you to Thoraipakkam. ...
It is possible to avoid most of ECR (and Thiruvanmiyur) by passing Kalakshetra and the back of the Thiruvanmiyur temple. Unfortunately, though, a great many people know this now, and it can get bad on the narrow roads. If you get to Palavakkam Beach, you can go through all the way to St Anthony's.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 08:56   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Resurfacing in progress on the Saidapet bound side of Mount Road at Nandanam signal
More updates:

- The Saidapet bound side is almost complete except for a small barricade section closer to the signal. The sidewalks are done as well. One word of caution: The dividers have moved around a bit from what they were during the construction, so please keep your eyes peeled in the 1/2 km leading to Nandanam signal.
- The Cenotaph Road-Mount Road junction that had broken sections is fixed as well.
- The resurfacing (as of this morning) is being done all the way till Buhari Hotel signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Yes you can. Start in ecr and take a right at Neelankarai will lead you to Thoraipakkam. A little longer and heavy traffic compared to OMR. I don't think it is worth considering for daily drive. It's up to you.
You can take a left at Perungudi V3 Hyundai service center and go through (Perungudi) Estate Main Road and get to the other side. no?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 09:17   #3033
Distinguished - BHPian

I couldn't help the person asking for a toll-free commute from Adyar to Thoraipakkam.

But here's a 100% legit toll-free way from Camp Road junction to OMR.
1) Drive from Camp Rd to Mappedu junction past Bharath university. Take left at Mappedu.
2) Go past Agaram Ten.
3) Turn left where you see Sithalapakkam lake and after 2-3 Km turn right into Sithalapakkam at a 'Y' shaped junction.
4) Go into and then out of Bollineni hillside.
5) Pass through TNSCB (slum clearance settlements) on the Nookampalayam link road.
6) Emerge out at OMR opposite to TCS semmenjeri. You can drive either way on OMR toll free up to the toll booths at Perungudi and Navalur.

On this route, there's no traffic and roads are not broken. But they are relatively narrow and riddled with speed bumps so you won't save travel time. But I take this route daily by daylight to avoid sickening traffic.

At night I am wary of the aggressive people from the TNSCB settlements. I had written on this very thread of a biker taking on a young Nexon driver for merely honking at him.

There's a similar toll-free route all the way from Camp road to Siruseri past Sithalapakkam. You have to go past Arasankazani and Thalambur.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 10:18   #3034
BHPian

This is the route, which I used to take from Pammal to Siruseri.

Pros :
No Signal after Rajakilpakkam.
No Toll
No traffic Jams

Cons :
The stretch near Thalambur and further towards Siruseri is pothole ridden
From Madambakkam till almost Sithalapakkam, has lot of turns and humps for every turn.
The road is been widened from the turn off before Kaleswari Oil Mill till Sithalapakkam.

https://goo.gl/maps/pXitKGfNQvC2

Had changed to Siruseri-Vandalur-ORR-Pammal though its more by 10 kms.
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 13:07   #3035
BHPian

Now with the Metro inauguration till AG-DMS, anyone has any info on whether there are plans to make the GN Chetty road two-way again?
Old 29th May 2018, 13:40   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Now with the Metro inauguration till AG-DMS, anyone has any info on whether there are plans to make the GN Chetty road two-way again?
There are still patches of Metro work going on in Nandanam and Teynampet. The Nandanam->Teynampet side of Mount road is yet to be resurfaced, and Mount Road is yet to be a full-fledged 6-lane road.

Till this is over, I doubt anything is going to change at Venkatanarayana Road or GN Chetty Road.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 13:46   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
There are still patches of Metro work going on in Nandanam and Teynampet. The Nandanam->Teynampet side of Mount road is yet to be resurfaced, and Mount Road is yet to be a full-fledged 6-lane road.

Till this is over, I doubt anything is going to change at Venkatanarayana Road or GN Chetty Road.
Yes, still some way to go before it becomes a 6-lane. I was passing through the Teynampet (Pondy bazaar junction) to Nandanam today morning and discovered that they had blocked the road Teynampet->Nandanam lanes for resurfacing the roads. So, i started hoping that they would do something quickly
Old 6th June 2018, 22:47   #3038
BHPian

This is what a 15 min rain does to chennai traffic!
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-1528305461885.jpg  

RedHerring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 13:52   #3039
Distinguished - BHPian

Met a lorry driver today at the fuel pump near Selaiyur who had a great sense of humor and he had everyone around laughing with his situational jokes.

He is a qualified civil engineer who became unemployed, gave up hunting for a job and is now driving an Eicher truck. "Got to keep the family and the household running", he told me with a smile, that he once used to live a proper middle class life. The truck earns him a livelihood, gives him 6.5 Kmpl when unladen and 5 Kmpl laden. Unruly people on the roads though give him endless aches in his feet and arms.

I didn't take a selfie or anything with him as I was unsure how he would take it. But it's good to have met someone like him and gained his perspective in life. He drives on our roads, is one of the many faceless men who keep our economy on the move and he's a genuinely funny person, despite how he gets treated by society on and off the road. I did shake his hands though.
locusjag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 19:27   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Met a lorry driver today at the fuel pump near Selaiyur who had a great sense of humor and he had everyone around laughing with his situational jokes.

He is a qualified civil engineer who became unemployed, gave up hunting for a job and is now driving an Eicher truck. "Got to keep the family and the household running", he told me with a smile, that he once used to live a proper middle class life.

He drives on our roads, is one of the many faceless men who keep our economy on the move and he's a genuinely funny person, despite how he gets treated by society on and off the road. I did shake his hands though.
An Engineer!! We are always funny!! Especially the core guys

Jokes apart, did you notice which company he was driving for? could help him out with some contracts in the future.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 21:22   #3041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
An Engineer!! We are always funny!! Especially the core guys

Jokes apart, did you notice which company he was driving for? could help him out with some contracts in the future.
I think he drives his own truck...
I'll ask at the bunk when I fill up next time around. He seemed to know the bunk's employees.
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:07   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Yes, still some way to go before it becomes a 6-lane.
I am seeing the first signs this week. The Nandanam elevator work is complete and they've started working on the divider work at the Nandanam signal to U-turn point the last 2-3 days.

Work is largely happening only at late nights, so expect complete road blocks if travelling midnight-5am in Teynampet-Nandanam stretch.
--
The barricade disease has caught up in the city , expect surprise barricades all over town if you are travelling late night.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:22   #3043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
did you notice which company he was driving for? could help him out with some contracts in the future.
I tried enquiring at the petrol bunk where I had met him. Turns out he was only passing by and I'd mistaken his great rapport with the bunk's employees to be a sign of them knowing each other very well. But thanks for the gesture! I'll PM you the next time I meet a similar character, if that's ok with you, i.e.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 13:38   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Crazy traffic jam today morning at Thuraipakkam signal (OMR and Thuraipakkam-Pallavaram radial road)...signal was off...traffic police manually controlling the traffic...looks like it was due to a march by school students (against drugs).

Also, the arrangement to prevent right turn on the Velachery-East Tambaram road under the flyover at Kamakshi hospital junction doesnt seem a good idea. Guess the bottleneck is now moved into the radial road!
Old 26th June 2018, 13:46   #3045
BHPian

OMR Toll rates hiking again. It's 27 Rs one-way effective from 1st July. One of the worthless toll gates in the city :-(
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks