Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 16:26   #3406
RGK
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
As per this new item, the work on 1st bridge is completed and traffic is routed via the bridge and second bridge is taken up for repairs now. So the diversion will continue for some more time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Does that mean vehicles going towards Tindivanam can't take the bridge and have to take a diversion now?
I assume the renovated old bridge (on the east) will be opened for two way traffic as it is strengthened now.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 19:16   #3407
BHPian

Folks any idea when the other Medavakkam flyover will be thrown over to the public? I see all work has been completed and.unofficial "rides" on YouTube. But no sign of opening it officially.
Old 25th February 2022, 22:52   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Folks any idea when the other Medavakkam flyover will be thrown over to the public? I see all work has been completed and.unofficial "rides" on YouTube. But no sign of opening it officially.
As per our regular auto driver, it is expected in March but don't know how accurate it is. I drove in the parallel flyover and saw the newly constructed flyover is used by few people for evening Stroll

Ok, Now I came here to post about the (Metro?) work happening in front of Tidel Park. Middle part of the road is barricaded for pillars so the vehicle flow towards Adyar is split in two lanes each side of the barricades - One near the gate of the tech parks and other in the opposite lane.

With offices opening soon, it is going to be another traffic hot spot.

I am travelling in this part of OMR after a long time and found Madhya Kailash signal is open towards Malar Hospital. When did this happen?
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 00:47   #3409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Couple of friends were returning from Gingee Fort visit yesterday and got stuck at the Palar Bridge works for 4 hours in the evening during the return leg. Looks like he missed the update + screenshots from this very thread I had shared in our office WhatsApp group.
Our driver, today, bringing us home from Wayanad, had heard that it was open. It wasn't (but might have been for a while?). I rather enjoyed the diversion! It was nice to feel that we were back on a forest lane again!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 09:39   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Our driver, today, bringing us home from Wayanad, had heard that it was open. It wasn't (but might have been for a while?).
Hi Sir,

The confusion is because of poor copywriting practices on news headlines. Click this page and see the title https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le65078010.ece . Headline says Palar bridge work over... then deep inside it says traffic diversions will continue till march 20 but word starts spreading as bridge work over.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-screen-shot-20220226-9.34.31-am.png

Same news headline in teambhp forum would have read like this

Diversions to continue on palar bridge till march 20 even as old bridge is fixed.

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 10:00   #3411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
With offices opening soon, it is going to be another traffic hot spot.
It is already one. Traffic hasn't really ramped down since Delta. I once travelled to office around noon about 2 weeks back, there was jam all the way until SRP. The metro work started amid Omicron lockdowns.

It is not just that diversion, there's one just past CSIR Road. The right from CSIR Road into OMR is closed. YOu'll have to dance around the Tidel signal service road to take a right

One diversion existed past Indira Nagar signal later half of 2021, which is closed now. You can see the open divider and a sloppy concrete patch work at that place.

Given the Perungudi and Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam toll was discontinued, we can expect more sections to become messy

Quote:
I am travelling in this part of OMR after a long time and found Madhya Kailash signal is open towards Malar Hospital. When did this happen?
October 2021 I think. Don't remember exact date.

Last edited by narayans80 : 26th February 2022 at 10:01.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 10:05   #3412

Quote:
Our driver, today, bringing us home from Wayanad, had heard that it was open. It wasn't (but might have been for a while?). I rather enjoyed the diversion! It was nice to feel that we were back on a forest lane again!
Yesterday night on my return to Chennai (from Ulundurpet), we reached the Palar bridge around 9.30pm. The detour through the forest lane took us 1.30 hours. We were at Paranur toll gate by 11pm and at home by 11.30pm.
mailbalaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:06   #3413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I rather enjoyed the diversion! It was nice to feel that we were back on a forest lane again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailbalaji View Post
... The detour through the forest lane took us 1.30 hours. We were at Paranur toll gate by 11pm and at home by 11.30pm.
I can see how it might not be to everybody's taste . My wife would not have agreed with me, but she slept through the whole thing anyway.

Had I, for instance, been on my way to the airport to catch a flight, I would not have been so happy.
Old 28th February 2022, 14:43   #3414

Quote:
I can see how it might not be to everybody's taste . My wife would not have agreed with me, but she slept through the whole thing anyway.

Had I, for instance, been on my way to the airport to catch a flight, I would not have been so happy.
I had planned for the evitable and was mentally prepared cross this hurdle. It was a short trip this time and hence I didn't feel irritated. Had I been driving for long and been at this, I would have gone mad
mailbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 11:38   #3415
BHPian

I have been driving in and around Chennai for the last couple of days and dont have any major complaints per se even though the traffic density is more than Bangalore especially in T Nagar , Annanagar area ... I wish that the Chennai cops could drive a campaign to make the motorists stop at the stop line at signals instead of allowing the vehicles to creep ahead and sort of block the visibility to traffic lights for others. Funny incident happened yesterday when we were driving on Peter's road towards Parthasarathy temple and there was this guy who was on a pulsar intentionally blocking us even though the roads were empty at 5:30 AM, I let him have his pleasure and did not want to lose my cool...eventually he got bored I assumed and disappeared.
Old 1st March 2022, 11:59   #3416
Distinguished - BHPian

We drove back from Madurai 3 weeks ago and took the Thirukazhkundram-Thiruporur route to avoid the Palar bridge diversion mess. It was a fairly okayish kind of drive. To cross over from the NH to the Thirukazhkundram side was the hair-raising part, where you need to wait at a break in the median somewhere after the Madurantagam lake and cut across to the right when there's no oncoming traffic in the opposing 2 (or 3?) lanes. After that it was a sedate drive at 60 Kmph in dark, mediocrely laid roads. Gmaps was our guide and she let us join the Thiruporur-Chengalpet road, roughly 3 Km away from Thiruporur.

Off topic: The Thirukazhkundram route offers you an option to visit the scenic Siruthavoor lake. My dad is an avid birder and many more of his ilk visit that lake often...
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 12:32   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Thirukazhkundram-Thiruporur route..it was a sedate drive at 60 Kmph in dark, mediocrely laid roads.
Take the ECR. You have slightly better space to play around and not much blind turns. I take it as a norm coming from south of Chengalpattu if am anywhere in traffic times.

Palar bridge should get ready by end of March.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 13:28   #3418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Take the ECR. You have slightly better space to play around and not much blind turns. I take it as a norm coming from south of Chengalpattu if am anywhere in traffic times.

Palar bridge should get ready by end of March.
The ECR is alright in daylight; at night though, when impatient drivers are at their worst, the ECR is a scary road to drive on. We've typically avoided it after dusk.

Come March-end, once again, there will be nothing like the Trichy highway till Chengalpet, from where we can divert to Thiruporur to get back to Chennai...
Old 3rd March 2022, 20:56   #3419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Karur-Kulithalai-Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate-Sothupakkam-Cheyyur-ECR-Tiruvanmiyur-Tidel-Kotturpuram. For the moment Tidel-Madhya Kailas is tolerable over LB Road.
Thanks Narayanan - I took the Karur - Tollgate route to come back and road was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
I drove from Trichy this Sunday via Madurantakam - Karunguzhi - Tirukazhukundram - Mahabalipuram - Thiruvanmiyur (destination)

Fairly decent surface for 99 percent of the route except for a low level bridge and a railway crossing

From Maduranthakam I took this route suggested by ns94 (Karunguzhi-Thirukazhukundram-ECR-MadhyaKailash-T.Nagar). The road was very good and did not face issues in traffic at all. This can also be a good route while returning on festival days when the Chengalpet/chennai route gets choked in traffic.

From Mahabalipuram, I took the ECR route, joined OMR at Sholinganallur and reached home pretty fast. One good thing is we can now take a direct right in Sholinganallur signal from ECR instead of U turn after taking compulsary left.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Last edited by concorde24 : 3rd March 2022 at 21:23.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:06   #3420
BHPian

Thanks for the information, concorde 24! I will be driving down from Trichy to Pallikaranai next week. Planning to take the Karunguzhi-Thirukazhukundram route as shown in the attached image.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-routemadecr.jpg

Is this route section from Maduranthakam to ECR via Karunguzhi and Thirukazhukundram the correct route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks