Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 15:16   #3421

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Sorry if this is not the right thread for this query.

I am from Mumbai. Me along with my family and friends (4 adults and 4 kids) are planning a trip to Puducherry over the Holi long weekend. We will be flying to Chennai and then driving to Puducherry via Kalpakkam. Need pointers to good & clean self-drive car rentals (auto transmission, 7/8 seater) that we can pick up and drop off from/to Chennai airport.

Checked ZoomCar & a few other online websites and the available options seem to be limited to 2 or 3 compact SUVs only.

Requesting for suggestions, contact details. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2022, 15:54   #3422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post

Is this route section from Maduranthakam to ECR via Karunguzhi and Thirukazhukundram the correct route?

Yes, this route is correct.

After reaching Thirukazhukundram, Gmaps routed me via Anupuram and join ECR much ahead of Mahabalipuram probably due to traffic. This road was good, though technically longer by few km.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 19:37   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information, concorde 24! I will be driving down from Trichy to Pallikaranai next week. Planning to take the Karunguzhi-Thirukazhukundram route as shown in the attached image.

Is this route section from Maduranthakam to ECR via Karunguzhi and Thirukazhukundram the correct route?
The junction that Tirukazhukundram road, OMR and ECR joins is Pooncheri where toll plaza is located for ECR.

If your destination is Pallikaranai, you can just use OMR itself and reach Kelambakkam through Tiruporur after which you can decide whether to go through Sholinganallur or turn left and reach Mambakkam, Medavakkam and Pallikaranai. Roads will be okay with less traffic but won't be like four lane ECR.
Old 4th March 2022, 20:12   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Yes, this route is correct.

After reaching Thirukazhukundram, Gmaps routed me via Anupuram and join ECR much ahead of Mahabalipuram probably due to traffic. This road was good, though technically longer by few km.
Thank you again, concorde24! I plan to use OMR till Thoraipakkam junction and use the Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam radial road to reach Pallikaranai.
Old 5th March 2022, 13:26   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
If your destination is Pallikaranai, you can just use OMR itself and reach Kelambakkam through Tiruporur after which you can decide whether to go through Sholinganallur or turn left and reach Mambakkam, Medavakkam and Pallikaranai. Roads will be okay with less traffic but won't be like four lane ECR.
Thank you for the suggestion, thanixravindran. Definitely makes sense!
Old 7th March 2022, 07:47   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Hi All,

Got into a nasty traffic jam yesterday night while returning to chennai from Nagercoil. We crossed the last but oneth toll at 7.30PM and the last 33 KMs to my home took me 6 hours !!!!!.
Hi All,

The bridge is still not usable, yesterday while returning from Kumbakonam we too got struck at this place. So travelers if possible, take the alternate route via East Coast Road (ECR) to reach Chennai.
vvivek85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 12:15   #3427

Quote:
Originally Posted by congruent.cars View Post
Sorry if this is not the right thread for this query.

I am from Mumbai. Me along with my family and friends (4 adults and 4 kids) are planning a trip to Puducherry over the Holi long weekend. We will be flying to Chennai and then driving to Puducherry via Kalpakkam. Need pointers to good & clean self-drive car rentals (auto transmission, 7/8 seater) that we can pick up and drop off from/to Chennai airport.

Checked ZoomCar & a few other online websites and the available options seem to be limited to 2 or 3 compact SUVs only.

Requesting for suggestions, contact details. Thanks in advance.
May be you too would have googled the options. In case, you haven't, then I have pasted few links from the search:

https://www.mychoize.com/self-drive-...Cartype%3D=Muv

https://www.indusgo.in/searchlist/ch...rt/18_Mar_2022

Apart from these you have your usual Zoomcar, Revv, Avis etc.

If all fails, you could still opt for the day tour by Ola, Uber or FastTrack call taxi (044-28889999). Fast track was widely used before Ola and Uber came into the market and I still see a decent number of cars on road.
Old 7th March 2022, 12:40   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by congruent.cars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VER_10 View Post
IndusGo - I called them up @ Coimbatore - but was asked to deposit a huge amount as refundable deposit. Was taken aback by that number - some 20 or 25K

The other safer options are already listed - Revv, Zoom, Mychoize and Avis.
Old 7th March 2022, 14:50   #3429
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the information, concorde 24! I will be driving down from Trichy to Pallikaranai next week. Planning to take the Karunguzhi-Thirukazhukundram route as shown in the attached image.

Attachment 2280252

I'll be travelling from Mannargudi to Tambaram and gmaps show a right after Karunguzhi, Takeright in Melvalampettai-Thirukazhukundram road> Cross railway crossing> Cross Palar through Vallipuram bridge>PVkalathur>ChengalpetBusStand and then joins GST Road at Chengalpet byepass (see below pic1).
1) Is this the best route to reach Tambaram heading from South?
2) Is it fine to join GSR road to reach Tambaram instead of going through village roads like Karumbakkam > Othivakkam > Mappedu > Selaiyur > Tambaram East (see below pic2)
Pic1:
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-route-suggestion.png

Pic2: Route from Melvalampettai to Selaiyur to reach Tambaram East
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-tkundram_agaramthen_selaiyur.png

Last edited by Wheels : 7th March 2022 at 14:58.
Old 8th March 2022, 19:16   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I'll be travelling from Mannargudi to Tambaram and gmaps show a right after Karunguzhi, Takeright in Melvalampettai-Thirukazhukundram road> Cross railway crossing> Cross Palar through Vallipuram bridge>PVkalathur>ChengalpetBusStand and then joins GST Road at Chengalpet byepass
Hi Wheels, I do not have much experience about this route either! I usually take the regular route via Mamandur, Singaperumalkoil and Maraimalai Nagar to reach Tambaram and drive further on to my residence at Pallikaranai. I am sorry I am not able to help you with this route. Maybe some other Bhpians could help!!

Cheers!
Ram
Old 8th March 2022, 19:31   #3431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be travelling from Mannargudi to Tambaram and gmaps show a right after Karunguzhi, Takeright in Melvalampettai-Thirukazhukundram road> Cross railway crossing> Cross Palar through Vallipuram bridge>PVkalathur>ChengalpetBusStand and then joins GST Road at Chengalpet byepass (see below pic1).
1) Is this the best route to reach Tambaram heading from South?
2) Is it fine to join GSR road to reach Tambaram instead of going through village roads like Karumbakkam > Othivakkam > Mappedu > Selaiyur > Tambaram East
I live in Agaram main road in Selaiyur. What I did a month back was to turn right after the Madurantagam lake as indicated by Gmaps, got into Thirukazhkundram, crossed Palar at some point and headed to Thiruporur. From there, I reached Vengambakkam village after turning right from the Thiruporur-Kelambakkam road and from there to Mappedu. From Mappedu, you will need to head to camp road junction and then to Tambaram East.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 00:22   #3432
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I reached Vengambakkam village after turning right from the Thiruporur-Kelambakkam - Vandalur road and from there to Mappedu. From Mappedu, you will need to head to camp road junction and then to Tambaram East.
Is the road good once we take the right turn to Vengambakam? I drove 2 years before and was full of pot holes and good to break our bones. Didnt your gmap show Pvkalathur route after crossing palar and join back in GST road after going thro Chengalpet town? Did you take the Melvalampattu right after Madurantakam, Karunguzhi? Pls do share the gmap route you took.
Old 9th March 2022, 12:53   #3433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the road good once we take the right turn to Vengambakam? I drove 2 years before and was full of pot holes and good to break our bones.
That road was laid afresh 2 years ago and is good, if a bit narrow. (Side note: I intend to build our dream home in Vengambakkam...it is developing rapidly as a residential area)

Quote:
Didnt your gmap show Pvkalathur route after crossing palar and join back in GST road after going thro Chengalpet town? Did you take the Melvalampattu right after Madurantakam, Karunguzhi? Pls do share the gmap route you took.
Alas...for we stumbled in our drive and ended up joining the Thiruporur-Chengalpet road near Thiruporur. Gmaps was showing some other route and we merely stumbled onto this alternative route, which was okay in retrospect.

Yet another alternative exists which branches off from the Thiruporur-Chengalpet road and meets the Mambakkam junction on the Kelambakkam-Vandalur road; but there's a jarring 1 Km stretch to cover when you enter it first. After that, it's a smooth road all the way to Mambakkam. That 1 Km stretch was doable in a Swift, for reference; no underbody hits.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 09:13   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Huge accident on 200ft road about a km away from Velachery bridge. Whatever vehicle it is, has shooted 100 meters off the road.

Was a sorry sight, could hardly identify what vehicle it was, didn't look much more than a metal pile from that distance. I doubt there were any survivors.
Old 10th March 2022, 11:06   #3435
Senior - BHPian

^^ Towards which direction? How is the traffic there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks