Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 19:48   #3496
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The car-owning 2% of our population used to drive past the Kovalam-Kelambakkam crossing and park all along the ECR (prior to the Madras Crocodile Bank - "MCB") and walk the ~1.5 km sandy stretch to the waters.
What you are talking about is Thiruvidandhai, where the Nithya Kalyana Perumal Koil where DEFCON was hosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Agreed the actual Kovalam still is mainly fisherman's beach and frequented by fresh fish lovers for purchasing in the weekend.
That is what I remember of it.

Quote:
It may probably be the one near Taj.
The one near Fisherman's Cove didn't look it was a public beach back in 2010. Have not been there recently.
Old 25th July 2022, 22:15   #3497
Distinguished - BHPian

Google maps tells me that there is a camera museum there!
Old 27th July 2022, 08:43   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quoting and answering Madras specific topics here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Btw, the other stretch of Velachery flyover also seems to be nearing completion, but the way it looks seems like it will again be uni-directional ie vehicles from Taramani side towards Tambaram can only use it, but not sure though.
The second arm of Vijayanagar flyover is almost ready, but it will be unidirectional from Phoenix/Gurunanak College towards Grand Mall-Velachery station. This will avoid the huge number of vehicles that take a U-turn at Vijayanagar bus stand. The Taramani-Velachery and vice versa will be under the bridge

Another bridge which is likely to open soon would be the Tambaram bound arm of the Perungalathur flyover. I doubt the Vandalur bound arm will start unless the new Kilambakkam bus stand opens.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 20:49   #3499
BHPian

I have been a regular to the Kovalam beach and to the Fisherman's cove beach and yesterday I visited the blue flag beach on Kovalam.

The beach is well maintained and worth visiting

The approach road to the beach is quite narrow and there was heavy rush yesterday and I guess it's because of the long weekend! In fact there was heavy rush of vehicles all the way till Mahablipuram.

On another note, the Kovalam toll is badly maintained and the toll needs to be removed if the department cannot maintain it during rush hours!
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:41   #3500
Distinguished - BHPian

Picking Up From Central Station

Collecting wife from Bangalore train, tomorrow evening (arrival time 9.30pm).

She wants me to meet her at the train, which suits me, because I quite fancy wandering around the station for half an hour! My intention would be to park in the Priority Parking.

Google Maps route takes me into Wall Tax Road, and across the front of the station. Won't this be terrible congested with pick-up/drop-off traffic? It looked like it was when I dropped her there last week, nipping through the bus stop area. Can I easily access the car park from the other side (VP Hall Compound Rd)?

I'm coming from South, taking Beach Road, etc, from Adyar.

Thanks for any hints!
Old 24th August 2022, 17:01   #3501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No unfortunately you can't. Earlier you could enter via VP Hall compound road, pass the Chennai Central Suburban Terminal building (on your left) and head towards the Premium/Priority Parking area. But now they have a rope cutting access towards that (and Gate 6 of the main Central station) and the vehicles that enter via the above route only can do a roundabout around the Suburban Rail/Central station Parking area or park in that section.

I prefer to park in the 'Suburban Rail/Central station parking' area - it's just a few more steps of walking towards gate 6 (next to the Canara & Punjab bank ATMs). Also this was relatively easier for me coming from beach side, so it'll apply the same for you I'd guess.

Note: The above information is as of 2 days ago, so it's updated
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 23:27   #3502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
No unfortunately you can't. Earlier you could enter via VP Hall compound road, pass the Chennai Central Suburban Terminal building (on your left) and head towards the Premium/Priority Parking area. But now they have a rope cutting access towards that (and Gate 6 of the main Central station) and the vehicles that enter via the above route only can do a roundabout around the Suburban Rail/Central station Parking area or park in that section.

I prefer to park in the 'Suburban Rail/Central station parking' area - it's just a few more steps of walking towards gate 6 (next to the Canara & Punjab bank ATMs). Also this was relatively easier for me coming from beach side, so it'll apply the same for you I'd guess.

Note: The above information is as of 2 days ago, so it's updated
So I should enter by VP Hall Compound Road, but head for the car park you mention?

I'm always daunted by Chennai Central! Somehow, I even usually manage to miss turnings, or take wrong ones, when heading there. When I dropped her last week, we unintentionally went via Parry's

This all sounds rather imcompetent --- and it is! But, usually, I am fairly competent at finding my way in the city! Honest!

Thanks for your help!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 09:01   #3503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I should enter by VP Hall Compound Road, but head for the car park you mention?
You cannot. that VP Hall Compund Road will be filled with traffic coming out of the station. Only way for incoming traffic is through Walltax Road.

Quote:
When I dropped her last week, we unintentionally went via Parry's
You took the left at Mint instead of going straight to Muthusamy bridge?
Old 25th August 2022, 14:39   #3504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You cannot. that VP Hall Compund Road will be filled with traffic coming out of the station. Only way for incoming traffic is through Walltax Road.
Thank you very much!
Quote:
You took the left at Mint instead of going straight to Muthusamy bridge?
I really don't know! But I did cross Napier Bridge, and I think I should not have.

I think it was Flower Bazaar Police Station where my wife said, "Aaaargh! You've come to Parry's!" --- And I replied "Aaaargh! So I have!"

I used to enjoy wandering around Parry's area, with its fascinating assortment of businesses. With the growing impossibility of parking in the district and then the covid years, I have not been there for ages.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:48   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Collecting wife from Bangalore train, tomorrow evening (arrival time 9.30pm).

She wants me to meet her at the train, which suits me, because I quite fancy wandering around the station for half an hour! My intention would be to park in the Priority Parking.

Google Maps route takes me into Wall Tax Road, and across the front of the station. Won't this be terrible congested with pick-up/drop-off traffic? It looked like it was when I dropped her there last week, nipping through the bus stop area. Can I easily access the car park from the other side (VP Hall Compound Rd)?

I'm coming from South, taking Beach Road, etc, from Adyar.

Thanks for any hints!
Best take beach road and then the left at the 75th memorial Independence Day Pillar cross the TV Station, MLA's hostel take the U turn on Anna Salai go into the road that leads to Bus Terminus and Body Guard Muneeswaran Temple get on to the flyover take the left at the Signal take U turn at Ripon Building and then take left to Central and enter Central at 9-30 pm you can park opposite the metro station itself you dont have to go the Priority Parking and then coordinate with your wife before she alights and give her the location.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 15:01   #3506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
... coordinate with your wife before she alights and give her the location.
Thank you!

I have to park, as she wants me to meet her at the train. She hates carrying bags. So do I, but hey!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 19:20   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Yes, he can. VP Hall Compound road allows both incoming & outgoing traffic. I have used it several times, as recently as this Monday only. Also, it has lesser traffic than the route adjacent to the bus stops (if entry via walltax/Grand Trunk North road (more preferred & heavily used for pickup & drop facility).

Quote:
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-opt-1.jpg

I know it is too late but this is the route I always have taken (I come via beach side and head towards the station on left after Muthuswamy bridge. I picked up family members twice over the last week and weekend; one in the afternoon and one in the morning. Both times the VP Hall compound road was easily accessible. In fact last Monday night, my cab took this exact route and dropped me off in front of the Canara bank ATM (Suburban Rail building).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
...l take U turn at Ripon Building and then take left to Central and enter Central at 9-30 pm you can park opposite the metro station itself you dont have to go the Priority Parking and then coordinate with your wife before she alights and give her the location.
Same as what I suggested

Edit: On a side note, how is National Durbar restaurant (opp. Ripon building)? I always wondered about it everytime I did the U-turn at that junction. Gives a vibe of an Irani cafe kind of setup (similar to options present in Bombay).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th August 2022 at 19:28.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 00:57   #3508
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks

I reached the station without error. But I realise now that there is not one true route, there and back. There are subtleties!

The short section, right, then left, into Wall Tax Road, crossing the buses, was the only troublesome part of the route.

There was a short queue for parking spaces, and they were packing us in like sardines! I couldn't even get out of my driver's door.

I must put in some more time in that end of the city. Perhaps take a walk around Parry's again! Although I really do think that is best approached by public transport. Or anything! Other than one's own car.
Old 26th August 2022, 09:21   #3509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Or anything! Other than one's own car.
I'm totally with you there. My traffic and small-space phobia is so bad that I haven't been North of T Nagar in the last 5 years (I live near Tambaram). And I never take my car out if it's a trip within the city these days; it has only spun its wheels on long trips or in the suburbs in the past few years.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 09:37   #3510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was a short queue for parking spaces, and they were packing us in like sardines! I couldn't even get out of my driver's door.
For future reference, the other parking is much better in terms of space. What it's not better is cleanliness (for some of the back side spots).

But yes, any day taking public transport and/or Uber is a much better option. On my own, I prefer to take the bus (drops me in front of the station). With family (and/or luggage), an Ola/Uber is the option.

Return is always via an auto (same gate 6 near the Canara ATM). I pay a slight premium but the ease in getting an option back home is worth it. One can opt for an Ola/Uber booking from there too if that is preferred. I do this once every 1-2 months, so I'd say the above is a well - tested approach
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks