Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 10:08   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
He was in a Blue uniform. Now what is the difference between Khaki and Blue uniforms? I know the beige coloured ones man the Volvos
Blue uniform represents permanent staffs & Khaki uniform represents temporary; also like Arvind says, it could denote experience too, but not sure how many years it denotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Please, Aargee. Using such words is derogatory, I feel. All-weather/long-hours/hard-working bus-drivers - give a thought for them too.
Buddy, let me give a consideration; I travel to office about 35 Kms every morning 2 hours before peak hours, which is around 6:30 AM in the morning. During this times, where's the traffic & jam? Why don't these people adhere to traffic rules even during this time? Why do they drive like maniacs? What's the point blocking the entire traffic flow at each bus stop? Somewhere I remember reading about 15% of fatalities are caused by MTC buses.

I do agree that these guys are under pressure to complete their trip logs (7 for blue & 8 for Khaki unformed drivers), but that doesn't mean they should take vengence on road right? What about Sunday's when there's almost no traffic? They still drive like crazy isn't it?

PS - Even I'm under pressure to complete my job, I sleep for less than 6 hours a day, but that doesn't mean I can take out someone's life right? See the point is that even the college & staff buses started behaving like MTC guys, blocking the traffic flow. When the Govt itself cannot enforce their laws to one of their dept, how will the civilians obey? Shouldn't the Govt set example? These guys have a fine of few 1000's & can get away easily even if they kill someone on the road. Max is fine + suspension.

Point to ponder - Just think about this, why wouldn't people wave hands in front of a running train & cross?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And I bet they are...reason for their driving.
Bang true @SBaleno; the entire system has to change without which we'll all keep blaming each other. ENFORCEMENT is the key!!!

Quote:
As much as I love driving, like Thad mentioned, I would hate to have driving as a profession in Chennai.
Oh!!! C'mon now!!! Are you saying Chennai is the only city to be hated for this? Do you think other cities in this country are the best? What about Hyderabad? Bangalore? (Just picking up to compare the southies) Do you think they're way ahead than Chennai. Pls, stop bashing Chennai guys!!! Law & order & roads are far better in TN compared to other states.

@Thad sir says this because, he always compares London w.r.t Chennai; had he been comparing other Indian (crowded) cities (Kolkatta for instance, for instance only), then I'm sure he should feel Chennai to be lesser or at par.

Quote:
Thanks to the lack of a...ignorance of the correct practices.
This is bang truth & add CORRUPTION in addition to lack of enforcement.

Quote:
Also the crocodile might take offense...brain-challenged creatures.
Yeah, I'm sry @SBaleno, I insulted Crocs by comparing them to the MTC bus driver!!! These morons are much worst than Crocs

Quote:
Sunday evening at 6:45 pm after two days of...require re-reading to exactly understand my route
Oh!!! Boy, just let me know next time if you intent to take this route as I do this route almost 5 days a week

All you need to do is, take the Pallavaram road, get on to NH46, take the Chennai Bye-pass, hit Maduravoyal. From there there're 2 options...
1. Maduravoyal - Koyambedu Signal - Thirumangalam Signal - Anna Nagar
2. Maduravoyal - Nolumbur - Ambattur Industrial Estate - Mogappair - Thirumangalam Signal - Anna Nagar.

Last edited by aargee : 29th November 2010 at 10:15.
Old 29th November 2010, 10:13   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issues:
1. I missed the Tiruneermalai Road and landed up in the Pammal Road though I am damn sure I took the first prominent left as I got down from the flyover (NH209-GST junction flyover)
The entry to Thiruneermalai road is right under the flyover, at dead centre. From the flyover you have to get down on the ramp towards Chromepet side, proceed a little and take a U turn in front of Balaji Bhavan / A2B, again proceed towards the flyover and take the left turn underneath the rotary.

I have never taken that road, so no idea about the entry to the bypass road from there. Para_7k takes that road often, so he should have a better idea. Whenever I have to take the bypass road from Chromepet I always proceed to Tambaram and enter from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Blue uniform represents permanent staffs & Khaki uniform represents temporary; also like Arvind says, it could denote experience too, but not sure how many years it denotes.
Blue uniform for drivers represents > 15 years of experience.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th November 2010 at 00:51.
Old 29th November 2010, 10:38   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Oh!!! Boy, just let me know next time if you intent to take this route as I do this route almost 5 days a week

All you need to do is, take the Pallavaram road, get on to NH46, take the Chennai Bye-pass, hit Maduravoyal. From there there're 2 options...
1. Maduravoyal - Koyambedu Signal - Thirumangalam Signal - Anna Nagar
2. Maduravoyal - Nolumbur - Ambattur Industrial Estate - Mogappair - Thirumangalam Signal - Anna Nagar.
Please read my questions carefully. Thats the reason I asked to take a printout. Is it possible to answer pt by pt? Btw, NH46 is from Krishangiri to Walajahpet and no where near Pallavaram.

Gansan: Thanks for the precise way to take the Tiruneermalai road. I will try next time to get onto the bypass from there, if no one knows if there is an entry onto it from there.
Old 29th November 2010, 10:55   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gansan: Thanks for the precise way to take the Tiruneermalai road. I will try next time to get onto the bypass from there, if no one knows if there is an entry onto it from there.
I am sure there is an entry to bypass from that road, I just have no idea about the precise location. I have seen vehicles entering the bypass while I was going over Tiruneermalai road on the bypass. I think you will have to go underneath, then turn left and climb on to the bypass to proceed towards Maduravoyal. If one wants to go towards Tambaram side, he will have to proceed towards Maduravoyal for a couple of KM and take a U turn on the bypass road.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:01   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read my questions carefully. Thats the reason I asked to take a printout. Is it possible to answer pt by pt? Btw, NH46 is from Krishangiri to Walajahpet and no where near Pallavaram.
Ok, I made a mistake to call NH45 to NH46!!! But the route I specified is bang right & complete hassle free to enjoy a high speed driving.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:09   #411
BHPian

@aargee IMHO after experiencing the chennai traffic on the GST from camp road to mcity for the past 1 year I feel that chennai traffic enforcement/lack of traffic etiquette is the worst in south india or atleast the places where i have spent some time. The comparision is to bangalore, Kochi, TVM. These are the cities where i have spent some amount of time driving.

The roads used to be relatively better in chennai before the rains. But now it's equally bad or worse than the other cities. The highways are very good in Tamil Nadu though.

One thing which i think we are ignoring in this discussion is the undercurrent of resentment of some busdrivers/cab drivers/autodrivers to cars. These resentment have their origin in various socioeconmic factors and is common across most of the indian cities.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 29th November 2010 at 11:16.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:09   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The entry to Thiruneermalai road is right under the flyover, at dead centre. From the flyover you have to get down on the ramp towards Chromepet side, proceed a little and take a U turn in front of Balaji Bhavan / A2B, again proceed towards the flyover and take the left turn underneath the rotary.

I have never taken that road, so no idea about the entry to the bypass road from there. Para_7k takes that road often, so he should have a better idea. Whenever I have to take the bypass road from Chromepet I always proceed to Tambaram and enter from there.
There used to be an entry to the Chennai Bypass from somewhere near the Thiruneermalai road.

This was closed 2 months back due to the increased number of truck entry/exit from the nearby quarries which were causing pile ups on the CBP.

The entry/exit to this road are from Perungalathur or Porur or Maduravoyal.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:19   #413
Senior - BHPian

Let me try to address how you could have reached the byepass at various points.

1. By going through Pammal Road you could have reached Thiruneermalai through the quarry road, though the road would not be in a great condition, from the point where you come under the byepass take a left and cover a couple of kms you would reach the point where there is an opening onto the byepass, earlier you could use it both ways now you can only get onto the byepass towards Maduravayol side.

2. Once you reached Kundrathur you could have opted to go to Porur Jn. from where a left would reach you to Ramachandra Medical college the point where you take a deviation to the byepass.

I am giving you the roads marked in your map, though it may be not be clear.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-sundayexplorer.jpg

Edit @ Jeev: Ok I have given you the markings (marked in black) of how you could have reached the point where you would come under the Chennai Byepass. From this point you take a left the Byepass entry I am mentioning is about a km or so. A right here would take you back to the point where you came under the byepass on your way to Kundrathur. (marked in shade of green from the Pammal road)
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-sundayexplorer1.jpg

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 29th November 2010 at 11:37. Reason: Attached picture again
Old 29th November 2010, 11:20   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The entry/exit to this road are from Perungalathur or Porur or Maduravoyal.
The entry from Perungalathur is as you proceed straight on the Irumbuliyur bridge.

There is a superb entry from underneath the bridge as you proceed from Tambaram towards this bridge. As you start climbing the bridge, take the left turn that branches off with sign board for Bangalore. This branch will dip down as it takes a nice left turn, then turn right sharply to pass under the bridge, climb nicely and turn left again to join the bypass road towards Maduravoyal . It is always a pleasure to take this route and I enjoy it a lot, though I could save a few KM by going through Porur!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th November 2010 at 11:26.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:21   #415
BHPian

aargee: Can you plot the route? Pallavaram Road? Where is it? How do you get off the NH45 and get on to bypass road via the Pallavaram Road?
Old 29th November 2010, 11:25   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
L
2. Once you reached Kundrathur you could have opted to go to Porur Jn. from where a left would reach you to Ramachandra Medical college the point where you take a deviation to the byepass.
Attachment 460680
Thats the pt 3 in my original post. But we were surprised by D to E connection. And since I got to NH4 then Bypass is not needed anymore to where I wanted to go. Sorry, EDIT: I could have taken that, indeed. But Kunrathur-D-E was not bad either. However reaching Kunrathur via Pammal is all bad and inconvenient.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 29th November 2010 at 11:28.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:31   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
aargee: Can you plot the route? Pallavaram Road? Where is it? How do you get off the NH45 and get on to bypass road via the Pallavaram Road?
Like I said before, its only to enjoy high speed driving & you cannot bye-pass Pallavaram road. Here's the map...
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-p1.jpg
Old 29th November 2010, 11:42   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Thats the pt 3 in my original post. But we were surprised by D to E connection. And since I got to NH4 then Bypass is not needed anymore to where I wanted to go. Sorry, EDIT: I could have taken that, indeed. But Kunrathur-D-E was not bad either. However reaching Kunrathur via Pammal is all bad and inconvenient.
As Aargee had mentioned once you reach Pallavaram you would need to take a left on NH45 go down south (yes the other direction) cross Chromepet, Tambaram reach Irumbuliyur and then take the byepass all the way till Ambattur. I know this is roundabout but I am sure you can save a lot of time if it is a weekday. On weekend the road cutting across the city would be fine as long as you avoid Mount Road and Inner Ring road.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:48   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
As Aargee had...avoid Mount Road and Inner Ring road.
+1; this is the point I was trying to convey, but couldn't

I once did from Kelambakkam (OMR) to Ambattur in 50 minutes with Wifey, Mother & 2 kids on a Friday during peak hours; had I done through city, I would've wasted hell a lot of time. I could do on speeds over 100+ comfortably on this route. I know Chennai Bye-pass is a real boon for people who want to avoid the 100 feet road to reach Koyambedu & hence I suggested.

Also most of us (in TBhp) enjoy hassle free (whether high speed or not) drives & this would be a perfect route to enjoy a good driving pleasure.

Last edited by aargee : 29th November 2010 at 11:51.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:51   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did speeds over 100+ on this route. I know Chennai Bye-pass is a real boon for people...
, This road is good upto 140..160 only..beyond which it becomes very bumpy!!

A safer speed on this road is 80 to 100 kph!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks