Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 22:07   #631
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Guys, I have to visit Periyar Nagar on 19th evening to attend a wedding reception and Padi on 21st morning to attend an Upanayanam, both trips by car. I am loath to take the IRR due to obvious reasons and plan to go by the Chennai bypass, despite the longer distance. Can I reach Padi by simply going across the Maduravoyal junction on the same bypass road? How are the road / traffic conditions beyond Maduravoyal?

Also I am unfamiliar with Periyar Nagar. Where exactly is it located?
Old 18th February 2011, 22:22   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can I reach Padi by simply going across the Maduravoyal junction on the same bypass road? How are the road / traffic conditions beyond Maduravoyal?

The partially completed ORR near the Ambuttur telephone exchange is an elevated road, so I am not sure if you continue with the ORR from Maduravoyal how you can get down near Ambattur to reach padi.
Others familiar with the locality may be able to help.
Alternate route would be to come through Nolambur and Moggapair West to reach Ambattur estate and then Padi.
Now Periyar nagar is somewhere between Perambur and Kolathur.
You can go by 100 feet road till the rettai eri junction and then take a right and reach periyar nagar.
Alternatively you can also approach from the newly opened over bridge near the perambur loco works station or the flyover at perambur and reach Periyar nagar.
There is a bus terminus called Periyar nagar IIRC.
Hope this information is useful

HC
Old 19th February 2011, 11:00   #633
BHPian

From what i heard last week if you get on the Maduravoyal flyover you can't get down before redhills. So I suggest you take the left to Poonamalee in the Maduravoyal junction, take the U-turn(abt 300m) in the Vanagaram junction and then take the left in the Maduravoyal junction. This is the service road that connects to Mogappair and continuing straight in this will get you to the MTH road junction. You can take the right here to reach Padi and then at the Lucas junction you can again take the service road in the left to reach Periyar nagar.

Edit: To reach Periyar nagar , there is a right before before the Kolathur Metro water station. IIRC there is even a signal at this junction. Just ask around after you reach the DR hospital and I am sure people will be able to guide you.

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 19th February 2011 at 11:09.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:53   #634
BHPian

Guys, an info: the IRR from Velachery to GST via Puzhithivakkam, Vanuvampet, Nanganalur is now open to traffic effective today morning. The portion of the road from Velachery to Vanuvampet was already functional. The portion from Vanuvampet to GST via Nanganallur was opened today morning though only one lane traffic will be allowed for few more months.

Last edited by callvvijay : 25th February 2011 at 13:54.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:07   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, an info: the IRR from Velachery to GST via Puzhithivakkam, Vanuvampet, Nanganalur is now open to traffic effective today morning. The portion of the road from Velachery to Vanuvampet was already functional. The portion from Vanuvampet to GST via Nanganallur was opened today morning though only one lane traffic will be allowed for few more months.
That's good news. Hope they finish this section completely soon. It will provide very good connectivity.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:43   #636
BHPian

^^^This is going to add more chaos to Velachery near the MRTS bridge as people would now want to take U turns after crossing the bridge.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:28   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is going to add more chaos to Velachery
Can you add more chaos to Velachery?. Yet another classic example of no planning from our governmnet. Velachery is one place that needs that flyover that will ease people commute time by over 30 minutes.

No point in constructing 4 lanes when it merges into a 1 lane or 2 Lane.

Saidapet,Pallavaram are all classic cases of our governments lack of back bone to vacate the land and complete the 4 lane from Tambaram to CITY.
Old 27th February 2011, 19:28   #638
BHPian

I live on the lane next to McD and now that fresh tar has been laid on that lane and the main road in front of McD deep-dug people are parking on the main road and in the lane. Its turned out to be a headache. If any of you folks turn up to McD on the weekend and plan to park your cars please spare a thought for me and the residents in that lane! Stop patronizing them. How could they get license to run an establishment without a parking lot? Add to it the drive-thru fad - the only one of its kind - truck load of B***S***, big vehicles who used to get in had to back-up a bit at the corner to take the 90 deg turn, all this to eat a piece of bun, all this is a very poor imitation of the original in my opinion. Where are we heading to?

Any news on the Sutherland "stay" in the court. Till that point we have fresh tar and it ends up on the Sutherland wall Another good parking area without disturbance. Come on people! Its supposed to be the main road. I can see fresh tar at different parts of the city but its always nicely used up by people to park their cars.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:37   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic and life at the Chennai Trade Centre!

Well, there was a lot of traffic there, but I think most of the drivers and passengers were visiting some other exhibition.

I spent an hour or so wandering around the annual Engineering Expo. This is one of my favourites of the annual shows there, and I wouldn't mind betting that I'm not the only one who drools over lathes, milling machines, sheet metal binders that wouldn't fit in my house, and all that stuff!

Well, there was plenty of it to drool over. My complaint is that there was almost nothing of hand tools to check out. I can't take a lathe home, but I could take some smaller stuff.

Strangely, VW had a stand in the middle of it all, with a Beetle and a Jetta on display, and a rather under-worked-looking bunch of sales people. I didn't bother either, as I just cannot afford a Jetta, and the whole Polo-and-vento sales attitude and delivery thing has put me off a company I used to love.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:31   #640
BHPian

Evening dinner plans turned out to be quite eventful!

On my way back at Gemini flyover signal (in front of Park hotel), was waiting for the signal to turn green..All of a sudden there is a loud thud and the car shakes violently!!
I look back and a green Palio (TN 09 AC 4843) had just rear ended my car. The guy coolly reverses and proceeds (almost instantly the signal had turned green).
I was expecting him to stop but then I was shocked to see the guy (not more than 30, balding, wearing dark rimmed glasses) was holding a cigarette in one hand and coolly proceeding as nothing had happened. I chased him for about 100m and honked incessantly for that guy to get the message but he just kept on driving before I realised it would be reckless on my part to chase him.
Stopped in front of petrol bunk to assess the damage. The rear bumper (left hand side) was completely damaged and so was the left tail light.

MODS: Please remove the regn. no if you feel it shouldn't be mentioned here.

A lady friend was with me, so didnt want to head to a police station. Any suggestions would be appreciated in terms of the next step.
Should I just let it go or should I file a police complaint tomorrow first thing in the morning? If I have to file a complaint I want to take a tamilian friend because I cant speak tamil.

Last edited by vjabraham : 13th March 2011 at 23:03. Reason: Spelling error
Old 14th March 2011, 15:34   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, I have to visit Periyar Nagar on 19th evening to attend a wedding reception and Padi on 21st morning to attend an Upanayanam, both trips by car. I am loath to take the IRR due to obvious reasons and plan to go by the Chennai bypass, despite the longer distance. Can I reach Padi by simply going across the Maduravoyal junction on the same bypass road? How are the road / traffic conditions beyond Maduravoyal?

Sir, Sorry I could not help you out when you had made this query. Though its not late to clarify for the benefit of others. If anyone wants to come from Tambaram side towards Ambattur / Padi and beyond you can easily take the bypass upto Ambattur. You will have to take a left onto the service lane (the first one once you cross the Maduravayol flyover), from this point the road goes on the elevated stretch, go under the bridge to reach Ambattur Estate. From here you can either opt to take a right and go via Mogappair to join the Inner Ring Road Jn at Thirumangalam Jn or continue onwards and take a right near Ambattur Bus Stand continue onwards via Padi and join the Lucas Flyover.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:09   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
On my way back at Gemini flyover signal (in front of Park hotel), was waiting for the signal to turn green..All of a sudden there is a loud thud and the car shakes violently!!
I look back and a green Palio (TN 09 AC 4843) had just rear ended my car. The guy coolly reverses and proceeds (almost instantly the signal had turned green).
I was expecting him to stop but then I was shocked to see the guy (not more than 30, balding, wearing dark rimmed glasses) was holding a cigarette in one hand and coolly proceeding as nothing had happened. I chased him for about 100m and honked incessantly for that guy to get the message but he just kept on driving before I realised it would be reckless on my part to chase him.
Stopped in front of petrol bunk to assess the damage. The rear bumper (left hand side) was completely damaged and so was the left tail light.
Go for insurance.
Mention the vehicle number in your claim request. If required, they will chase the guy.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:35   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post

A lady friend was with me, so didnt want to head to a police station. Any suggestions would be appreciated in terms of the next step.
Should I just let it go or should I file a police complaint tomorrow first thing in the morning? If I have to file a complaint I want to take a tamilian friend because I cant speak tamil.
To be on the very safe side:
Are you driving a TN registered vehicle? You should go to police station and file a hit&run, you may have to pay little money to file the FIR. There is a chance under such condition the palio guy may go and file an FIR, we are not living in a perfect world.

Meanwhile get the damage evaluated by the insurance guy, calculate how much money you need to pay from your pocket, try to get that money from the palio guy.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:42   #644
Senior - BHPian

I was in Chennai for the last weekend. Saturday night, around 21:30hrs, I was taking my sister to her hostel in Mehta nagar, and was planning to walk towards Choolaimedu through that same bylane. There was a car that was crawling past us, due to an auto that had stopped on the left side to drop someone. On the right side were some construction materials - sand, metal, iron rods etc, that left a gap hardly enough for even two people to walk abreast. Now, a moron on a pulsar comes honking from behind at a very high speed. I pushed my sister onto the sand mound and then swayed to my right, holding her to prevent her from falling. She had been busy talking, so I doubt if she'd noticed the commotion behind until i pushed her to safety. The biker (no helmet) missed me by a whisker. Enraged, I shouted a**h*** almost instantaneously. Then we resumed walking. I made sure she went inside her hostel, and then started walking towards the railway station.

The same biker pulls up beside me, and starts talking in Tamil. He demanded to know what I'd shouted. I didn't care to explain, instead I said you could've hit me, and you were going too fast.
Biker: Do you know who I am? (he wanted to look angry and macho)
Me: No (In Tamil)
Biker: Where are you from? Are you from Ceylon?
Me: B'lore
Biker: Is that your girlfriend who was with you?
Me: That's my sister. Why should you know all this?
Biker: Why did you come to Chennai? Do you know who I am?
Me: Boss, chill. (I didn't want to pick up a fight, so smiled)
Biker: Do you know who I am? (cutting me off)
Me: No
Biker: You don't know who I am. I'm from crime branch (naan cryyymmm brrranchu daaa)
Me: Ok (looking at him in his eyes)
Biker: Where do you stay?
Me: Choolaimedu, near the station
Biker: Get on to the bike, let's go to the police station
Me: What for?
Biker: I'll see you in your room very soon
Me: Fine, you're welcome (in English)

He sped off. I couldn't note down his number since he didn't have the lights on, typical of some nuts on two wheels

I walked to the traffic police outpost at the Choolaimedu signal, and informed the cop there that a guy on a black pulsar is doing stunts, and me and my sister had a narrow escape. The cop was a good guy it seemed to me, and he asked me to call him immediately if i get the reg no, so that he can take care of such morons (in Tamil, intha maathiri ayogya pasangale enna pannananamnu engalakku nalla thariyum).

I think that bloke tried to make me believe that i've just enraged a high-ranking cop. And when he understood that I'm not giving in, he fled.

How I wish these kind of morons get hurt in an accident.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:59   #645
BHPian

You should have asked him to wait there and called up the police.. It would have been a real fun to see his reaction then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks