Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 14:37   #706
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The tires are since-new, but it it a low-mileage car, just over 18,000. I don't know what is wrong with the tire, but as it was inflated just a few days ago, I changed to the spare, but did so in the night.

I think (there has been rotation) that the same tire used to loose pressure faster than the others earlier. It needs a water bath to establish if it is a puncture and where.

Could be a tube issue! or a valve issue. Sometimes, this happens if the tube is weak. Best to get the water bath to check if there is a visible leak. Next step would be to change the valve and then the tube if the condition of the tyre is good. 18K is not much, but some stock tyres start developing sidewall cracks in about 2 years. Any good tyre shop will be able to sort it out.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:03   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

It could well be a valve, yes, or even the seating disturbed, we do drive on some pretty bad side roads. Curiously, knowing that I needed the spare filling up as a priority, I went to a different place --- and it turned out all the tires were low. As I don't have my own digital gauge, it is impossible to know what is right!

I was thinking of lowering it into the house water sump, but I think my wife might object
Old 27th May 2011, 22:29   #708
BHPian

Looks like because of the Metro work (pillar erection) in front of SPIC building, traffic flow towards Kathipara will be diverted such that one will have to go into Dr.MGR medical college just after CampaCola campus and come out of it near the Guindy bridge. Any pucca news on this? I saw today that the new road which enters the college to be neatly laid out with lane demarcation also.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:38   #709
BHPian

Guys,

I saw an Indica on Fire in the 100 ft road opposite Olympia Tech park this morning at around 5:30 AM.

The front end was already ablaze and I saw the fuel tank area blast and the rear end catching fire rapidly.

The driver door, the front passenger door and one of the rear doors were open. The inmates could have escaped or could have been rescued.

There was no one near the car, only a few clicking pics from a distance away.

The complete car (front to back) was on Fire. The heat was so much that I could feel it inside the AC bus I was travelling.

Did anyone else see or hear about this ? I hope the inmates are safe.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:46   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Looks like because of the Metro work (pillar erection) in front of SPIC building, traffic flow towards Kathipara will be diverted such that one will have to go into Dr.MGR medical college just after CampaCola campus and come out of it near the Guindy bridge. Any pucca news on this? I saw today that the new road which enters the college to be neatly laid out with lane demarcation also.
It has been ready for some time now. Three pillars are being erected near the Halda junction and once they are complete, I think work will resume in front of spic building. At that time traffic will be diverted to the new road.

That is because the metro alignment takes a deviation from that point and crosses over from the centre median to the left of Mount Road, via Race Course road to cross the railway tracks beyond Guindy Flyover and re-emerges on Mount Road. The understanding is once pillar/viaduct erection are over, traffic will resume on Mount Road and the land will revert to the medical university.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:23   #711
BHPian

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with Velachery Main Road from Medavakkam towards Velachery> They dug up the road about 6-8 months back for "widening", then dug up both sides for "sewer work". Then finally about a month back there were little or no ditches on the side of the road.

But that ditchless road was too much to bear for our civic authorities. Both sides of the road have been dug up again with ditches 3-4 feet deep, with no barricades or anything to keep vehicles from falling in...

About a month ago an unmarked, unguarded hole about 3 ft wide and 7-8 ft deep was left open in the middle of the road, as one comes down from the Velachery flyover towards Medavakkam.

How many people must die or be injured before some semblence of common sense and value of human life is realised by our civic authorities.

It took less than a day for all the Karnunanidhi/Stalin posters and cutouts to be replaced by Jayalalitha's all over the place, but it took them more than 10 years to finish the Pallavarm flyover. The "road" leading into Jayachandran Nagar has been in disrepair for longer than anyone remembers, but no action. They just come once in 6 months and fill ii up and level it with mud, which the rains wash away.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:31   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife is currently trying to get to Royapettah in an auto. I just had a call from her in Adyar, saying that nothing was moving going north over the bridge. As they were somewhere near Malar Hospital, I advised taking those back streets to Kottapuram. Then she told me that traffic was being directed that way.

Anyone know what is going on?

(And I just realised it's June 6th, and I've missed a concert I really wanted to see, in Mylapore. Oh well, I suppose I'd have just been in that same jam!)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th June 2011 at 19:33.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:09   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My wife is currently trying to get to Royapettah in an auto. I just had a call from her in Adyar, saying that nothing was moving going north over the bridge. As they were somewhere near Malar Hospital, I advised taking those back streets to Kottapuram. Then she told me that traffic was being directed that way.

Anyone know what is going on?

(And I just realised it's June 6th, and I've missed a concert I really wanted to see, in Mylapore. Oh well, I suppose I'd have just been in that same jam!)
Even my mom's stuck somewhere in Adyar. She was saying that there is a huge traffic jam. I think the rains have come as a real surprise. What is even more surprising is the reaction time from our so called civic authorities. Just pathetic!! There was a similar situation in Mumbai a few days back and it's really sad to see that these guys keep repeating the same mistake again and again. When will they ever learn??
Old 7th June 2011, 00:16   #714
Senior - BHPian

A Tempo Traveller had turned turtle opp. to Indira Nagar Railway station before Madhya Kailash. It happened right before I reached the spot and traffic was slowly getting piled up over there. Not sure if that was the reason.

It took me 1.5 Hours to reach from Gemini to Ega Theater today! Worst traffic I have seen in Chennai till now!
Old 7th June 2011, 09:20   #715
BHPian

And I had just complained in an other thread yesterday afternoon that - looks like Kathri was not over even after a week after the peak heat last weekend landed up giving me a headache. I had checked up the bbc, weather.com, cnn sites yesterday noon to find that there would be showers late evening. I mocked. Impossible.

It was fun. Sorry if I am sounding too sadistic for all the trouble people had to undergo. After a long time and a harsh summer the drive back home was with full-wiper ON and almost-nil visibility. Hazards ON and slow movement. Debris/waste strewn over the street with the blowing wind. Cars parked on the side of the road, loads and loads of bikers underneath shop shelters, fly-overs. Underneath flyovers, so much so that the pathway for cars shrunk and created a jam - close to Kamakshi hospital. Its been a long time since the car and her driver experienced this. It cooled up the place for sure.

Some great lightning scenes. We went to the terrace but came in quickly since we were scared of getting struck by one. No lights till 11 pm. Dim light dinner. No TV. Playing UNO with lil Neha with the generator light in the common areas. It was good. It was hot indoors.

The morning was pleasant - both windows down and a slow drive with music on and non-strained face, only to be greeted by a long toll at Thoraipakkam. But still unruffled.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 7th June 2011 at 09:23.
Old 7th June 2011, 09:31   #716
Senior - BHPian

@anachronix, I have learnt (from couple of experiences) that the Gemini-Sterling-Road stretch is prone to jams and when it gets jammed, it is unbelievably bad. I came close to missing my train due to a jam on this road and finally it was our own Electric train that saved the day. But I guess you don't have much of an option, but to take this road. Is "T.Nagar - the 2 flyovers - Loyola - Harrington Road - Pachaiyappas" not an option for you to get home from work ? I know there is no rightturn at Choolaimedu signal, but almost everyone seems to be taking a turn there.
Old 7th June 2011, 09:44   #717
BHPian

But, now, Chennai is back !! Just that the humidity levels have spiked up further.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:31   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@anachronix, I have learnt (from couple of experiences) that the Gemini-Sterling-Road stretch is prone to jams and when it gets jammed, it is unbelievably bad. I came close to missing my train due to a jam on this road and finally it was our own Electric train that saved the day. But I guess you don't have much of an option, but to take this road. Is "T.Nagar - the 2 flyovers - Loyola - Harrington Road - Pachaiyappas" not an option for you to get home from work ? I know there is no rightturn at Choolaimedu signal, but almost everyone seems to be taking a turn there.
The T.Nagar-Loyola route is longer for me and the infamous Nelson Manickam road traffic has kept me away. The Gemini-Sterling road route doesnt have any major bottle necks so you can be atleast sure that the traffic is more predictable on a normal day.

Yesterday's traffic around Gemini and sterling road was due to the traffic blocked around Loyola since I could immediately reach Ega Theater after crossing the signal near Sangeetha Hotel on Sterling Road.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:15   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The T.Nagar-Loyola route is longer for me and the infamous Nelson Manickam road traffic has kept me away. The Gemini-Sterling road route doesnt have any major bottle necks so you can be atleast sure that the traffic is more predictable on a normal day.
Try out Greams road-Casa Major Road - (via - Sparky's Dinner) - Gengu Reddy street (subway) - P.H.Road. This is the route I take whenever I have to reach P.H.Road. Yep, might be a bit long route - but it is mostly easier to navigate through this stretch compared to Sterling road and the Chetpet bridge.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:36   #720
Senior - BHPian

Chennai is getting hotter while the rest of the country is getting cooler.

Was in Bombay last weekend. What a fantastic weather. The rain was fun for a guy from Chennai. Mumbaikars hated the rain, but i loved it.

Landing in Chennai airport at 9 and feeling like baked aalooo waiting for the call taxi made me feel i should run away.

Hope chennai gets cooler.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks