Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 07:15   #736
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

The good news with heavy rains is that there is minimal two-wheeler activity on the roads. I commute on 100-ft road daily and yesterday was a welcome relief.

Slightly OT, I see that there are quite a few BHPians in Chennai from Kerala. I spent 9 years in Ernakulam before moving permanently to Chennai.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:31   #737
BHPian

@hajaar - There are quite a of T-BHPians from Kerala in Chennai. I myself moved to Chennai from Ernakulam. Its been two years here in Chennai.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:23   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Nothing like riding in the rain! Always loved it, still do. I guess I am not alone !
I and my wife were just in front of Guindy Sangeetha's when the skies opened up, so turned the bike in to their parking lot. Despite spending considerable time over a plate of hot bajjis and filter coffee, there seemed to be no respite from the rain. Called up home and found it was raining there too. Then called up my in-laws who live mid point between Guindy and my home, again same story. So thought what the hell and started the bike! Both of us had a relaxed, rain soaked ride for half an hour after a very long time.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:48   #739
BHPian

Yesterday, it was bumper-to-bumper traffic on Airport road at around 6.30pm all the way from the Airport flyover till kathipara junction. And surprisingly, there was no accident or any thing indifferent on that particular stretch.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:09   #740
Senior - BHPian

I did notice the long line of vehicles on the airport flyover but fortunately, traffic was free flowing in my direction - towards Tambaram!
Old 16th June 2011, 07:59   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
Yesterday, it was bumper-to-bumper traffic on Airport road at around 6.30pm all the way from the Airport flyover till kathipara junction. And surprisingly, there was no accident or any thing indifferent on that particular stretch.
It is usual - reason - metro rail / mono rail pillars near the post office area which narrows 3 lanes to 1 - The quantum of traffic this road churns is amazing!!!
Old 17th June 2011, 17:31   #742
Senior - BHPian

Forgive me guys but i have rant somewhere and its here. I hate the way the metro work is currently being done. Feels like no one ever planned and they decided to just do whatever, whenever and wherever they felt like constructing.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:23   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I join in your rant?

As I understand it, there are segments of work going on, say A-B, C-D, D-E, F-G, etc. Then it turns out that the land has not even been bought for B-C and E-F... so the work might remain unfinished for an indefinite amount of time.

Correct me if wrong: forgive if getting too political!
Old 17th June 2011, 18:33   #744
BHPian

The tragi-comedy in my case...
1. When I was working in OMR in 2001-2, it was a single lane and so, there were traffic jams.
2. When I was working in Ambattur in 2003, the roads were bad and so, there were traffic jams
3. When I was working in Guindy in 2004-5, the fly-over was being built and so, there were traffic jams
4. When I was working on OMR in 2006-7, the four-laning was happening and so, there were traffic jams
5. When I am working in Guindy in 2008-today, the MRTS work is on and so, there are traffic jams.
6. I will be going back to working in OMR next work, I hear that Mt Road is going to be dug for MRTS work and so, there will be traffic jams.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 11:41   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
1. When I was working in OMR in 2001-2, it was a single lane and so, there were traffic jams.
2. When I was working in Ambattur in 2003, the roads were bad and so, there were traffic jams
3. When I was working in Guindy in 2004-5, the fly-over was being built and so, there were traffic jams
4. When I was working on OMR in 2006-7, the four-laning was happening and so, there were traffic jams
5. When I am working in Guindy in 2008-today, the MRTS work is on and so, there are traffic jams.
6. I will be going back to working in OMR next work, I hear that Mt Road is going to be dug for MRTS work and so, there will be traffic jams.
I'm really sorry for that I did LOL when i first read your ordeal..
But by now you would've a master of traffic rider in chennai right??
Somehow you finally got out of that curse uh?
Old 20th June 2011, 12:24   #746
BHPian

Quote:
It's a message that you shouldn't change jobs frequently or shouldn't work for a company that changes it's location frequently.
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:21   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Spotted a pearl-white AT Scorpio with 2 Tbhp stickers on the rear and one on the driver side at Concorde while towards Velachery. One of the stickers was "I Drive Safe" and he was indeed driving safely
Snap of the Scorpio
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc00204.jpg

Spotted this SRV today on OMR - SRVs are rare on the roads.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc03027.jpg

Also this Jag near TIDEL
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc00201.jpg

This Porsche running temp-plates was spotted on Mount Road neat AREVA.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc03030.jpg

This DL-Santro with a tbhp sticker at Thoraipakkam - was driven by a lady IIRC.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc00203.jpg

This Jetta had the regn-number written in such a font as to read as SIBI - maybe the owner's name.
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-dsc03029.jpg

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 22nd June 2011 at 18:22.
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:32   #748
Senior - BHPian

^^ The last pic of the Jetta. Thats right, its the actor himself. I have seen him in this car almost an year back. Not sure if he still drives the same car though
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:43   #749
BHPian

Mods : Duplicate post ..pls delete

Last edited by 2theMax : 23rd June 2011 at 17:51.
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:50   #750
BHPian

^^I have seen him in a white SX4 as well with the same number

Quote:
You should aim at MEPZ or Perungalathur or the wonderful Mahindracity next time around for a blissful drive.

Most Viewed