Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 11:57   #871
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
It is very important to leave atleast 2 car lengths while following heavy vehicles, viz, buses and Tipper Lorries that clip like bat out of hell.

...!!
As i learn to leave at least "half of your speed in mtrs"(in case of rain, wet road conditions even more than that) space between cars when following others, i wonder if i do that religoius won't i ever reach to my destination?! or i might be back at where i started? because on one on indian road can tolerate that real estate unclaimed, and they just start coming in front of you from every possible direction. they will come in that space with good speed and then of course they have to slow down so, simply brakes without any condsideration what is behind them. so, i have to hit the brakes to slow down and again i put the same distance from them. it's in fact a good maths problem, i should write soem software to see if i will ever reach to my destination if i follow the rule!
Old 20th September 2011, 12:31   #872
BHPian

Share autos, Scorpios and Innovas are the ones who scare the hell out of sane drivers. A share auto, almost all the time, pulls to a stop only after overtaking a 2 wheeler in its 50KMPH and then braking all of a sudden. Scorpios, to prove their prowess, squeeze past you with that thumb of theirs riveted onto the vibrasonic honkers. The beach road parallel to Marina sees mad drivers who run for the lives of the people who want to move far away from the madding crowds.Near Teynampet, where the road from TNagar meets (close to the HP pump) vehicles are always mad to steal those coupla seconds from the other vehicle on the move.The Sholinganallur to Medvakkam koot road stretch, with its narrow-share auto& IT Bus-infested roads is always a tough one to negotiate.The Richie street-Pudupet road sees some engine driven rickshaws which almost scrape your car though there are acres of space all around. The shopping frenzied crowds of Tnagar increases your BP by jumping out of the lanes into the road from where the bridge starts, from the Bust stand till the other end of it.The new bridge in Tambaram invites accidents as HIGH JUMP pedestrians try to outsmart the Omni buses and other vehicles by crossing the dividers within the wink of an eye.
How come I missed this-The MTC buses always honk you out of the traffic signal, though its blood red, and the cold stares of the driver only makes you feel guilty for habitually stopping the car until the signal turned green. Yet I love Chennai
Old 25th September 2011, 23:51   #873
Senior - BHPian

The roads in Chennai is getting worst due to rain. Affected roads with in my use are
Medavakkam-Madippakkam road.
Medavakkam Velachery Road in between Medavakkam and Balaji Dental.
Try to keep your leg on break often
Old 26th September 2011, 01:45   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

I read your last line as try not to break your leg on them.

Which is also true.

North-bound side of ECR is getting much worse. At least no more rain forecast for a while.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:04   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Medavakkam-Madippakkam road.
Medavakkam Velachery Road in between Medavakkam and Balaji Dental.
Nothing new here. These roads are never taken care by the corp, nor proper roads are laid when they are doing it.

The pallavaram bypass to thoraippakam is atleast filled with temp solution so driving is not a big worry in these roads.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:09   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

Nothing new here. These roads are never taken care by the corp, nor proper roads are laid when they are doing it.

The pallavaram bypass to thoraippakam is atleast filled with temp solution so driving is not a big worry in these roads.
All these roads are not under CMDA, it appears and the local municipal bodies ought to maintain them.

Please represent the issue to your local municipal president and it will be looked into.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:28   #877
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope this is not too political (nothing to do with any one party) but I guess we have a hold on a lot of work with elections coming up? Just at the time when that maintenance, pre-monsoon, is so vital
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:57   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^
@VW2010, guess its a "grass being greener on the other side" thing. I am at Kerala and it is raining cats and dogs most of the day & after the initial fun, I hate it - everything is wet, mossy, damp. But when I am at Chennai, I miss the Kerala rains.

BTW, for the Kerala travellers, the famed Changanassery-Alappuzha road became a waterway just a couple of days after the monsoon started.
The river near my home will anyday flood its sides, depending on the rains in the coming days and the already half-flooded fields would be full of water (and fish) - so time to clean up the fishing rod/reel.

Hi supreme baleno,
Where do you go fishing around chennai? I am getting my equipment this week? If you are planning any trips in the near future please count me in. I don't have a pm facility activated to send my mobile no as pm?
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:55   #879
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I have never tried fishing at Chennai - I fish at Kerala, where I spend most of my weekends. But if the rains continue to lash Chennai like they did in the last few days/weeks, then we can hope to fish on the roads, especially in water-logging prone areas. :-)
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:36   #880
BHPian

I've been on vacation to Chennai in the last 3 weeks. The last time I've been in Chennai was in 2008. I feel that the traffic has become even worse since then. One has to wait for at least 30 minutes to get past the Thirumangalam signal. I hope that once the over bridge is built, it becomes much easier. I traveled a couple times using an Auto and when I'm back home, I can smell the fuel on my hands and face. The pollution is to such an extent.

Happy to note that the Kopyambedu traffic mennace is no more because of the over bridge. But the road after that (guess till Guindy) has become a bottleneck due to the Metro rail construction work.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:43   #881
Senior - BHPian

Joe... We hear you...

Try to avoid travelling between 9-11 in the morning and between 5-8 in the evening.

Either leave before 5 or leave after 5. Similarly leave home before 8 or after 11. Else you end up waiting for 1 hr to reach from Tambaram to Nandanam and another 30 minutes to LIC.

Starting at 7:30 atleast helps me reach LIC by 9. Starting at 9 always takes 2 hours.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:28   #882
Senior - BHPian

It is true that Koyambedu traffic is bit at ease in front of the bus terminus. But the metro rail job makes it horrible on the opposite side I mean towards Vadaplani side.The hectic drive starts just after the right turn from the CMBT>
Old 7th October 2011, 20:41   #883
BHPian

After a heavenly day ( read: less traffic)
Old 7th October 2011, 20:43   #884
BHPian

After a heavenly day ( read: less traffic due to mid week holiday for some) today it was again hell of a traffic at Mount road around 7pm. :((
Old 8th October 2011, 14:57   #885
BHPian

It is raining pretty heavily at Annanagar, what is the scene around velachery, pallikaranai, adyar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks