Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:02   #961
Team-BHP Support

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Good as the ECR is (at least from the point where I join it from Kelambakkam route), have you tried the Tindivanam route recently? The road from Tindivanam to Pondy is excellent and ECR is no comparison. No oncoming vehicles and no share autos to bother about!
Yes. We took ECR route for onward trip, and return was through dindivanam route at night.

As far as roads are concerned, tindivanam route is better, and the 4 lane highway is lot better for night drives. However, I'll still prefer ecr for daytime travel as its very scenic and enjoyable.
Old 25th November 2011, 01:24   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic on the roads late this evening will be swimming, I should think. Probably the most sever single storm of this monsoon? It'll be a mess tomorrow morning, especially with 24 hrs showers forcast.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 09:44   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by accentgiri View Post

I don't know when the politicians will stop intefering in the comman mans routines... by stopping , diverting them, etc.. during peak hours
The same politican travelled in the same route without all these when they were not in power.
Today Unnecssary waste of time about 20 min...
Waste of precious fuel
Bad mood for the day after getting a harsh wording from the policeman....
The next time we know of the CM's important flight lets have TBHP Chennai meet and block the road with few 100 cars. Can they arrest all of us for driving slow ?

I live behind city center and most part of the day will get yelled by the cops if i need to pull over on Cathedral road / RK salai. Why cant they use a chopper, they any ways block traffic, have a fleet of cars and police standing through their entire journey. All this cost can fuel a chopper for sure.
Old 26th November 2011, 14:33   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

third class -two words todescribe the stretch on arcot road from fame national to vadapalani ;the road resembled a beach after just one hr rains. I went to see Desi Boyz and all the fun was wiped off by the time I reached home.
Old 26th November 2011, 17:04   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom
third class -two words todescribe the stretch on arcot road from fame national to vadapalani ;the road resembled a beach after just one hr rains. I went to see Desi Boyz and all the fun was wiped off by the time I reached home.
I stay in arcot road. I come across this every day. Imagine how frustrated I would be.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:37   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

thamizha i salute you all for putting up with such a rotten corporation ; having seen a pedigree corpn. function in my city in w.india, i've been spoilt. chennai was so good in 2008,wonder why it is so bad now
Old 27th November 2011, 13:49   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody know the condition of the ECR/LBR/Adyar/Mylapore route after the current rains, with more heavy rain this morning? I really want to go out to a concert, but such an event is not really worth risking even a very tough journey for.
Old 27th November 2011, 14:18   #968
BANNED

We have to raise the problem to the knowledge of CM itself, how police is behaving atrociously... If we are treated like this, what will be the state of an uneducated or a person who happens to come from village without exposure.

If nothing works out, we have to travel in a convey to voice our concerns.
Old 28th November 2011, 07:14   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does anybody know the condition of the ECR/LBR/Adyar/Mylapore route after the current rains, with more heavy rain this morning? I really want to go out to a concert, but such an event is not really worth risking even a very tough journey for.
Route is OK, yesterday I had gone to kottivakkam from Mylapore in my Jeep - No issues. Oops I used OMR and avoided LB Road due to traffic!!

BTW, this thread has more negative impact about Chennai than otherwise - Its time we look at the brighter side
Old 28th November 2011, 12:53   #970
Senior - BHPian

LB road has major potholes and i would advice you to stay very close to the median and take it easy along this stretch.

Me and a watchman placed few stones and indicators for motorist to avoid these potholes only for the lorry or pTC to dislodge them.

We saw two motorist fall and we tried our best. But the roads are pathetic in condition.

The pallavaram by-pass is a horror at night time. I drove at around 15kmph where my visibility was zero as the headlights had no power to illuminate a rainy road. The lights are futile when the overhead traffic dont care about high beam or low beam with constant drizzle.

Medavakkam - Shols road from shols is very good(not a joke) and i am using this road to save a lot of time.

There is water logging between in this road near the toll gate apart from which the road is fantastic till shols (Except a 10 meter bad stretch)
Old 28th November 2011, 13:41   #971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route is OK, yesterday I had gone to kottivakkam from Mylapore in my Jeep - No issues. Oops I used OMR and avoided LB Road due to traffic!!
Thanks both.

Yes, I ventured out in the evening. First trip since this period of intense rains and flood. Things were not as bas as I expected, given the severity of the weather. There were only a few places that were very much worse than a week ago.

I have a sort-of "tradition" of trying to make a circular route of any journey, varying my outwards and return routes, so I went by LB Road/Adyar, and returned by Kottivakkam and OMR. This latter route was pretty good.

There are so many places on LB Road where the water stands. Maybe the road is ok, but nobody dares try it.
Quote:
more negative impact about Chennai than otherwise - Its time we look at the brighter side
The sunshine is due to return this week!

If only "they" would get it together to a, include drainage systems in roads (and maintain it) and b, lay a road foundation and surface that lasts more than a few months --- then I think we could be a lot brighter about life on the roads of chennai
Old 28th November 2011, 14:17   #972
Senior - BHPian

I am ok with proper patch work like they have done in the mudichoor road. Instead of just filling the gaps, they have relaid that few meters stretch and thus making it better.

Hope JJ does something for roads but build enough speed brakers to make sure people dont speed just because they have roads
Old 28th November 2011, 19:45   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If only "they" would get it together to a, include drainage systems in roads (and maintain it) and b, lay a road foundation and surface that lasts more than a few months --- then I think we could be a lot brighter about life on the roads of chennai

The drains exist -

If only people stop throwing garbage on the road and start using the dustbins

If only people concerned start laying proper roads

If only there was no red tapes in the process of laying roads

If only it were a perfekt world!!

And BTW, the sun shines more days of the year in our city !
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 21:20   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am ok with proper patch work like they have done in the mudichoor road. Instead of just filling the gaps, they have relaid that few meters stretch and thus making it better.

Hope JJ does something for roads but build enough speed brakers to make sure people dont speed just because they have roads
@VW2010 - Mudichur?! Where you put up in mudichur buddy? I live in mudichur....

Thanks,
R
Old 29th November 2011, 08:36   #975
Senior - BHPian

Dont know if it was a coincidence, but I spotted a lot of Jeeps on my way to work yesterday!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks