Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 19:51   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Auto clutch? I don't think so. Then what was the need for the clutch lever?

The first bike without clutch that I can remember was the Hero-Honda Street.
Sir, there is an auto clutch in the JAWA / YEZDI - The clutch lever is for easy operation.

The Kick start / Gear lever / Clutch Cam is integrated and people who have owned the bike will vouch for the same! - including E_L and myself

The HH Street has a different type of GB and clutch and it is invisible to the user.
headers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 09:22   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Major Traffic Diversion in Anna Salai. Starting from Saturday. God knows how long this will take ? May be 1 yr /2yr /5 yr for completion of this Metro Works
Well, Mumbaikars have had their Marol-Maroshi Road blocked/diverted/otherwise-nightmared for a few years now, Bangaloreans their M. G. Road, so it is only fair the price of progress catches up with Chennai too
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 09:27   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The Jawa/Yezdi works as an auto clutch, when you depress the gear lever, the clutch too engages, this was unique only to these bikes.

Bus drivers use the clutch when they are in high rpms.
When geared at both extreme ends it did have auto clutch.
I have had 2 yezdis for 10+ years,its true.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:35   #1069
BHPian

Today i was driving to my office to tambaram. I was near the toyota showroom in guindy when there was a vehicle that was standing on the left side of the road. I applied my breakes gently in order to come to the right and then proceed when this stupid cab driver rear ended my vehicle. I then came to the left end of the road to park my vehicle to see what has happened. Unfortunately my bumper is broken. This cab driver saw me moving to the left and he proceeded straight not even bothering to stop. I could have stopped the vehicle there in front of the road and would have given him a blow, but that would have been a nuisance for others as it was a small road. Do these cab drivers really know how to drive a car?

This is happening for the 4th time this year(both of my cars). The other day my new polo's left side got damaged fully because of a crazy collision between 2 bikers and in the process both of them falling on my car. Chennai traffic has become crazy nowdays.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 12th March 2012 at 17:45.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:53   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Do these cab drivers really know how to drive a car?

This is happening for the 4th time this year(both of my cars). The other day my new polo's left side got damaged fully because of a crazy collision between 2 bikers and in the process both of them falling on my car. Chennai traffic has become crazy nowdays.
Had these cab drivers know how to drive , then driving in chennai would be a happy story right. These guys are least bothered of anything and all they have is one accelarator and one steering thats it. They do not even know there is something called breaks leave about rules.

Hope the damage is small and lucky that there is no dent to the body other than the bumper.

Waiting for the day when self discipline comes to each one of us.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 12:27   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

They mostly know how to avoid each other, which is why I have requested a friend to get an early-hours cab to the airport. Last year, I took her, and found the wee-hours traffic on the airport road one of the most unnerving experiences of my five or six years driving here.

The idea in some other countries is that those who drive paying passengers have to be licencesed to do so, and have to pass more stringent tests. Maybe, one day, we'll get the message about just ordinary tests

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th March 2012 at 12:29.
Old 14th March 2012, 15:59   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
found the wee-hours traffic on the airport road one of the most unnerving experiences of my five or six years driving here.
But look at the bright spot - it is only 5 km or so (from Kathipara to Airport). Let us heap our pity on the less fortunate denizens of Bangalore, for whom the drive to the airport from Hebbal is about 25 km of pure misery.

Last edited by binand : 14th March 2012 at 16:02.
Old 14th March 2012, 17:12   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

That's the worst bit, with cab drivers behaving like bikers --- but the whole city is dangerous in the night.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:07   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Disgusting behavior:-

Spot - Mepz signal.
Direction - From Guindy trying to enter Mepz.

Problem - When your signal turns yellow just stop. Instead i see all these educated morons just standing right in the middle of the road creating a big nuisance for traffice flowing across though the signal is green.

I am sad these educated ones are earning enough to own a car but cant really have the basic discipline to wait for 2-5 minutes more.

Will these moron ever learn.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:22   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am sad these educated ones are earning enough to own a car but cant really have the basic discipline to wait for 2-5 minutes more.

Will these moron ever learn.
Quite a few of them must be headed to my organization which has a big office inside MEPZ. I used to be frustrated by the overtake from left and position in front of you approach by tons of drivers at the MEPZ gate and guess what, most of them eventually drive into my own office.
Since I cannot improve the entire universe, I decide to stop getting angry and drive on!
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:50   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Quite a few of them must be headed to my organization which has a big office inside MEPZ. I used to be frustrated by the overtake from left and position in front of you approach by tons of drivers at the MEPZ gate and guess what, most of them eventually drive into my own office.
Since I cannot improve the entire universe, I decide to stop getting angry and drive on!
As your office is BIG inside MEPZ, maybe its time to start educating the drivers to that campus - It would partially fulfill CSR

Infact, IMO, the guys driving into MEPZ take all the lanes and block traffic there, though you find the yellow board drivers more than the white ones!
Old 27th March 2012, 23:28   #1077
Senior - BHPian

A journey after one way implementation of Anna Salai.
I started and G P road of Chennai at 6.05pm. Moved in the snail speed through Royapettah and joined in Thousand Light and took left and crossed the Anna fly over. The time at that place was 6.45 pm. The real distance might be 2 to 3 KM on Anna salai. Again my snail speed continued till Saidapet may be 4 to 5Kms. Time was 7.30Pm. From there travelled to Velachery through Chinna malai ,Halda,Check Post and Gurunanak to Vijaya nagar the time was 8.00pm and the distance might be 5 to 6 kms.So far about 12 to 13 kms distance travel in Chennai, it took 1 Hour 55 mts. This was the traffic of Anna salai on 26th March. I gave the punishment to myself to experience. In fact I was coming from Marina to experience the traffic. Instead of this route, I could hace taken Santhome, Adyar, Madhya Kailas and Taramani to Velachery, which could have been fater and tension free.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:25   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far about 12 to 13 kms distance travel in Chennai, it took 1 Hour 55 mts
This is our govts trick ploy to ensure we all use Metro and public transport once they are operational and avoid taking out our cars.

Actually the time taken for the same trip from vijaya nagar to GP road would be twice more than what you experienced.

I am scared to go beyond Nandanam these days. I avoid as much as possible to take my car beyond Nandanam, while i try to use the Ashok Pillar route to reach any places near TNagar.

Beyond Nandanam i prefer taking a train or a rik.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:20   #1079
BHPian

[quote=navan49;2728234]A journey after one way implementation of Anna Salai.

Sirji its almost the same destination for me every day since I work at Raheja Towers, Mount Road and need to pick up my wife from TIDEL Park. Best route after a bit of R & D.
1. GP Road, Rohapettah High Road till EPF office, turn right, turn left at Gowdiya Mutt Road and reach Music Academy.
2. Take TTK Road, flyover and then go straight thru to RA Puram, turning left just before you reach Greenways Road.
3. Join the traffic coming along RK Mutt Road, cross the river and take the flyover in front of Fortis Malar.
4. Come down the flyover, take left at Ambika Appalayam stores, 2nd right, st down the road towards the Kasturibai Nagar MRTS station, follow the traffic to get into the OMR/ Rajeev Gandhi Salai.
Total time taken: 40 mins from Raheja Towers to TIDEL Park leaving office at 6.30 PM.
Do try this once.
Yamahead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 20:18   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2nd right, st down the road towards the Kasturibai Nagar MRTS station, follow the traffic to get into the OMR/ Rajeev Gandhi Salai.
This must be taking the new bridge from Kasturibai Nagar to OMR?

Most Viewed