Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 21:06   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
do i dare assume that you are a frequent traveller in this route too?
No man. But that is the same situation everywhere in chennai, it is going to be worse in this winter, lot of potholes.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:08   #17
BHPian

Amazing observation sterlingjames!
Quote:
a)TVS50/champ/Bajaj M80 - especially the ones with a wide rear carrier or side box with protruding locks.
They probably think that if their front wheel can go, their huge box can also go.
Quote:
They are the ones who wear a tight scarf instead of a helmet, wear tight fitting, bell bottomed, zipper tape finished(at the pant’s bottom) pants, wear chappals or sandals and most invariably have a female pillion rider.
You must have gazed them from your car to get such miniscule details!! He he
Quote:
These guys seem to get a thrill of accelerating suddenly swerving in all directions and then braking violently for no reason at all even on relatively steady paced traffic!
Reason: female pillion rider?
Quote:
Share Autos and autorickshaws: tend to get into wrong lanes (which maybe seem right to them) and then exit at the last second to a direction of their choice.
You can even drive behind a container lorry, but not these share autos! Just can’t crack the way they think.

I travel everyday in a cab for about 75 KM (from Kolathur to Tambaram around 6:30 PM) and can understand the agony of a fellow being like you.
Your post truly brought the saddening picture of Chennai traffic with a lighter note.
Old 6th November 2009, 23:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
i have, in the past one month or so, i have become a master of chennai peak hour traffic. ...
Ha Ha Ha. I loved reading it. In addition to scarf, have you seen people with strange caps that are designed to worn along with helmets ?

Your generalization of Registration numbers and Cheap bikes don't seem acceptable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Sterling james, you wont know the pain of driving a 15 feet sedan in Madipakkam traffic. Gansan please help me out here as you are from the nearby locality . I Need to have 360 degree view to ensure that no morans tries their artyistic skills with their vehicle on my car paint.

Cultivate the habit of Wearing Earplugs and turning on music. You'll not hear those Minor rear ends that happens 8 to 9 feet away from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
I totally agree with the 'not being defensive' driving style. Once these drivers know that you are being defensive, they pounce on u like blood thirty wolves. I have noticed many a times, once you give way to one vehicle, at least 5 or 6 vehicles overtake you with blaring horn. Part of our upbringing - Not so harmfull

Dude, I have been in this too. I become a fool to my own passengers too when I do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I. After dropping her off, I have to rejoin Mount road once again in front of Guindy station, and this is often nerve wracking. The exit from the Indl estate is pure madness! After coming out, it is not much of a problem as my office building comes up as soon as I cross the Guindy flyover. .
This is possibly the worst bottle neck in chennai. A superb grade seperator for people coming from GST, Koyambedu, Porur with almost 9 lanes and merging into a single lane near the Guindy bus stop.

Chennai BHPians,
One of the acts in my wish list is that we all should get together one day in the city and drive along. We should teach the people on the road what "DRIVING" really is.

Last edited by para_7k : 6th November 2009 at 23:21. Reason: Alignment
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 01:20   #19
BHPian

this entire thread is an eye opener to us !

I got abused by son mother duo. Reason, I was waiting at the Citi center signal to take right. They decided I was going to over take the car in front on the left side and cut him across. I didnt, he drove into my car and screamed at my driving skill.

Best part, my car hadnt moved an inch as the entire lane was stand still at that point. I tried imparting basic sense of never over take by the left , went to deaf ears and I got abused more !

Last edited by haithereitsme : 7th November 2009 at 01:27.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Amazing observation sterlingjames!

You can even drive behind a container lorry, but not these share autos! Just can’t crack the way they think.
Driving behind a container lorry is another trick. You need to master the skill of overtaking him. If you plan to go to North Chennai for any work better watch out for the "Double Team" Share autos and Conatainer Lorries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Cultivate the habit of Wearing Earplugs and turning on music. You'll not hear those Minor rear ends that happens 8 to 9 feet away from you
Chennai BHPians,
One of the acts in my wish list is that we all should get together one day in the city and drive along. We should teach the people on the road what "DRIVING" really is.
If I dont love my car then what you said may be true . Let me know when you plan for the drive. I will be there buddy. I am looking for an oppertunity to teach some road sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I got abused by son mother duo. I tried imparting basic sense of never over take by the left , went to deaf ears and I got abused more !
I feel sorry for you my friend. May be you tried to start your converation with "Sir.." I would recommend yout to try with "dei arivu illa" There is a lot of difference what you start a conversation that way.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:45   #21
BHPian

Kinda off-topic. Please delete or move if required.

Right now, I am riding bike. But due to rain and bad road conditions, would like to avoid getting drench and other accidents due to bad roads. I would like to go by car for few months till I get my own.

Options

1. Auto - Not very safe
2. Call Taxi - Better

Instead of paying every trip, is there any monthly options available ?

thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 13:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
Kinda off-topic. Please delete or move if required.

Right now, I am riding bike. But due to rain and bad road conditions, would like to avoid getting drench and other accidents due to bad roads. I would like to go by car for few months till I get my own.

Options

1. Auto - Not very safe
2. Call Taxi - Better

Instead of paying every trip, is there any monthly options available ?

thanks
If you are working then try to do carpooling with your colleagues. Check your companys internal website I am sure most of the people will post that their vehicle is available for carpooling and it will work out a lot cheeper than the Autos and Call taxis.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:11   #23
BHPian

It's again raining heavily today, most roads seem to be heavily damaged. So people, leave office early or very late. Expect major jams this evening all across Chennai today.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues was not able to come to office today. As he could not move from Trichy to Bangalore last night. What the hell is happening ? 2012 ??
No Seriously. Any major climatic/atmospheric change ? What does the Met dept have to say ?
Old 9th November 2009, 14:25   #25
BHPian

Chennai gets rain in one go, so this is nothing new to Chennai. But yeah, there is a kind of pattern change in terms of the number of days we receive rains. Ten yrs back rain starts from the mid of October, but it gradually has moved and these years it starts only from November. So by the end of mid december our rainfall is over.

Hope no major catasrophes are lined up for the city, I live just 100m away from the bay of bengal. So by the time the news comes up, I would have been gone.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:36   #26
BHPian

Just reached office. Took 50 minutes from Mogappair to Perungudi. Roads are not too bad.

Alert for guys who take the new road on the left after ascendas to reach Taramani. The junction of this road at the Velachery-SRP tools road is dug up but there is way for one car to cross. Be careful at this junction and cross really slow. Low floor sedans cannot do this without an underbody hit. So people better take the longer SRP tools stretch if you are going to Taramani from Tidel or vice-versa.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:47   #27
BHPian

The road near velachery bustand is in a okayish condition. Watchout for the potholes on the left as you enter the Velachery tharamani link road. Try to keep it to the right till you cross royal shoppee.

The st. thomas mount - Medavakam road is in a bad shape. As they are trying to fix the road, they have filled the road with fist size gravels. Going over them makes you feel like you have gone trekking in your car.

Today Chennai is covered by a beaqutiful haze. The view of Pallikaranai, Velachery and the new link road from the velachery bridge was awesome. Wish I could take a day off and be at home for a hot cup of Team with nice Bajjis
Old 9th November 2009, 14:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Coming from Chromepet to Guindy, the road was pretty much ok except for erosion under the new flyover coming up near the old Ponds factory. I also spotted some small - medium potholes at Meenambakkam and St.Thomas Mount (on the left turn immediately after the Polo grounds). These are avoided easily enough without slowing down, just don't let them surprise you from underneath the vehicle preceding you. No water logging anywhere.

Last edited by Gansan : 9th November 2009 at 15:00.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Annanagar to Guindy via T Nagar today. Only damp roads and small puddles of water. No sign of rain the whole day as well. My new car is going for registration today. I hope the rains staya way.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
My new car is going for registration today. I hope the rains staya way.
Congrats! Wish rains let you have a pleasant day!
Are Chennai's RT officers as "honest" as they used to be for I hear / read a lot of crack-down by anti-corruption wing?

Most Viewed