Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 16:40   #811
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I just have posted an incident which happened to me yesterday evening after i was coming back from Hospital on Nungabakkam High Road. This has left me exhausted and i was like without my legs for several minutes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2463498

still get goose bump whenever i remind it. An example of insensitivity and stupid driving at best. If something has happened i would have been able to forgive myself and that guy. Though it has happened to me in Chennai, yet I believe this can happen anywhere if we can't keep the lane for a single moment when any of other lane is just have a gap of some feet and that's why i thought it is more relevant to that forum.

Last edited by Suess : 10th August 2011 at 17:06.
Old 10th August 2011, 17:02   #812
Senior - BHPian

Suess

You cant change idiots. Why cant the Chief minister bring in a rule that says remove party flags from cars and suv's.

Trust me when i say this, chennai traffic is atleast 50 times better than Coimbatore. I hate these bl***dy private buses.

No one here seem to have basic road sense. They do whatever they want to whenever they want to.

Chennai - Miss your traffic. Its chaotic yet significantly better.
Old 12th August 2011, 07:51   #813
BHPian

An interesting tidbit - if you are coming from kotturpuram and want to go to mount road via cenotaph road, it is better to avoid the flyover. It gets really crowded in the evenings & stop-and-go traffic is better done on a level surface than on an incline. I find that not taking the flyover is better in terms of time & lesser aggravation.
Old 12th August 2011, 22:56   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar
An interesting tidbit - if you are coming from kotturpuram and want to go to mount road via cenotaph road, it is better to avoid the flyover. It gets really crowded in the evenings & stop-and-go traffic is better done on a level surface than on an incline. I find that not taking the flyover is better in terms of time & lesser aggravation.
You are absolutely right. Its better to use the flyover only in the morning times (8 to 10am if I'm right) when it is used as a one-way towards Mount Road.
Old 13th August 2011, 00:20   #815
BHPian

Guess this is unique to roads in TN

Road blocks due to movement of a deceased human to the nearest cremation ground.

1. Drunk people blocking traffic on both ends
2. Drunk guys dancing in the middle of the road
3. Garlands littered
4. Maniacs throwing lit crackers

The whole of Nelson Manikam road was blocked, due to a corpse procession outside Loyola college.
Old 13th August 2011, 11:06   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess this is unique to roads in TN

Road blocks due to movement of a deceased human to the nearest cremation ground.

1. Drunk people blocking traffic on both ends
2. Drunk guys dancing in the middle of the road
3. Garlands littered
4. Maniacs throwing lit crackers

The whole of Nelson Manikam road was blocked, due to a corpse procession outside Loyola college.
I guess that is far better than our CM blocking all roads because he/she wants to get home.

Let the people enjoy the last rite.
Old 13th August 2011, 11:27   #817
BHPian

True, police constables positioned 50 mts away to ensure no one pull up to the corner even to answer a phone. IF you do you would get an arrogant " vandi yedu"

Guess we should all plan up and park all over the cathedral road. If their security is so vital, guess they should use a chopper. They will prob waste the same fuel with a min of 30 patrol cars.
Old 13th August 2011, 12:26   #818
BHPian

A good initiative..
CHENNAI: On Friday, the day one of the launch of free SMS alerts on traffic snarls, nearly 5,000 Chennaiites registered their mobile numbers with the traffic police.

City traffic additional commissioner Sanjay Arora said told the media: "Webaroo Technology India Private Limited "SMS Gupshup" is handling the technology of sending SMS alerts on behalf of the traffic police. Mobile users who want to get traffic updates should first send a text message to get their phones registered. After a confirmation message, mobile users will start receiving alerts."

Arora said nearly 20 alerts would be sent to each registered mobile daily.

"We get news about traffic jams, accidents and road blocks from our men on the ground. We will pass on the message to all registered mobile users," Arora said. The traffic police have at present selected 10 roads to give updates. "We are now concentrating only on a few arterial roads such as Anna Salai, Periyar EVR Salai, Kamarajar Salai, ECR and few others. We will soon take up other roads," said Arora.

Once a person sends the message `JOIN CTP`, he or she will have to wait for a couple of hours to get the confirmation message. "We have been giving similar updates in the city traffic police`s Facebook website and also through the FM channels," Arora said.

vice-president Ravi Sundararajan told TOI: "We expect more people to sing up. We provide similar alerts in Mumbai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Kolkata, Bangalore, Pune, Bhopal, Hyderabad and Nagpur with the help of traffic police."
Link to news: 5k sign up for free SMS alerts on traffic - The Times of India

To register yourself send "JOIN CTP"(all caps) to "09219592195" and to un-register send "LEAVE CTP"(all caps) to same number.

Last edited by Suess : 13th August 2011 at 12:29.
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 17:48   #819
Senior - BHPian

There is a facebook page - CCTP.

After following for some days i just find the police taking action on those that they know they can. If you post a politicians car violating any rules, the post is either lost or deleted.

They cannot implement a simple helmet rule or stop anyone from driving fast.

I ask for one change of rule. Removal of flags from all vehicles. These suv's and cars drive as if they have no issues even if they kill someone. Idiots.
Old 13th August 2011, 18:22   #820
Senior - BHPian

@VW2010 - Wholeheartedly agree with you, these SUV's/Cars sporting the party flags are a big nuisance on the road. They not only bully around other road users, but have scant respect for any traffic rules. Its not only the flags of the ruling party, but I have seen flags of party's that I dont even recognize. These days I'm getting to see auto-rickshaws/motorbikes following this trend and god knows what else is in store.

@Suess - Good initiative, unfortunately you cannot subscibe to this service if you have DND activated with the service provider. This needs to change for this initiative to succeed.
Old 13th August 2011, 19:40   #821
BHPian

I ve lost hope fighting with the police, auto drivers and in general believers of bad driving.

A police Sumo gets in the wrong lane to jump the signal ended up almost running into my car. What followed was a ugly scene of me seeking a challan on the Police drive, was pulled aside with lots of threatening. Patrol was called up, since I knew I was going down kept fighting, the cop ended up thinking I was a lawyer and let me go. I recorded the entire conversation on my phone, put it up on youtube and sent close to 6 mails to cops@vsnl. You guessed right no response.

Lost hope during a fight with a drunken auto driver. Now decided to let those high beam, loud/musical/long honkers drive past me thinking they will crash in to the wall.

I havent seen a cop wear helmet, follow traffic rules.
Old 13th August 2011, 19:53   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

@Suess - Good initiative, unfortunately you cannot subscibe to this service if you have DND activated with the service provider. This needs to change for this initiative to succeed.
ok, i wasn't aware of it. thanks for pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I ve lost hope fighting with the police, auto drivers and in general believers of bad driving.

I havent seen a cop wear helmet, follow traffic rules.
we are a country where law making/enforcement agencies are allowed to violate and float the laws as they will. and they even get support from media and public. beating someone before arresting or just to teach a lesson, is ok thing to do!!
Old 13th August 2011, 20:03   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I recorded the entire conversation on my phone, put it up on Youtube and sent close to 6 mails to cops@vsnl.
Admire your guts to put up such a fight; end results apart that gradually will send a message to those rowdies in uniform (not all of them are so) that they can't bully over just anyone.

Can you provide the link to that conversation?
Old 13th August 2011, 20:20   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Admire your guts to put up such a fight; end results apart that gradually will send a message to those rowdies in uniform (not all of them are so) that they can't bully over just anyone.

Can you provide the link to that conversation?

Dude this is the link on youtube.

siddhartht14's Channel - YouTube
haithereitsme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 20:39   #825
BHPian

Siddharth aka haithereitsme - Hats off dude... Honestly, my BP did shoot up just like gold price. You know what I admire your guts for specifically is? "Naan ungala maathiri kozha kedaiyathu" (roughly translated to: "I'm not a coward unlike you"). Man that was a nail right on his forehead. If only he has a iota of self-respect and wisdom to understand that!
Anyway, again proud of you man and but be safe.
Iluvcars is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed