Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 10:26   #3541
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Which testing centre it is?
Barathi pollution testing center , Chennai 16.
This is in the BP premises on GST off Alandur.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tEjsUfx7W3cFEHQSA?g_st=iw
careind is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:54   #3542

For those in and around Anna Nagar, there's an emission testing center next to the Indian oil bunk on the 3rd avenue.

https://goo.gl/maps/zHjAXCqykieq1Jeh7
jnanesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 13:02   #3543
BHPian

The ongoing storm water drain works is changing the landscape of the city. I travel regularly through KK Nagar and I am sad to massive trees being uprooted for this purpose. Munusamy Salai is losing it's green cover.
Any idea if these trees will be replaced or has someone made profits from those massive trees?
Old 25th October 2022, 13:00   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Is the new Kilambakkam bus stand open?

Saw a handful of buses coming from inside on Saturday and Sunday. Don't remember there was a formal inauguration ever happened.
Old 26th October 2022, 17:07   #3545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Is the new Kilambakkam bus stand open?

Saw a handful of buses coming from inside on Saturday and Sunday. Don't remember there was a formal inauguration ever happened.
Its not yet open and they are planning to open it by Pongal next year. The buses which you saw must have been the ones which are operated for long Deepavali holidays, since CMBT cannot sustain the extra rush.
Madrasin_selvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:29   #3546
tud
BHPian

For South Chennai residents, these two bunks would be your best option to update your PUC validity.

Adyar - IOC bunk, diagonally opposite to the Adyar Telephone Exchange - Google Maps Link
Mandaveli - HP bunk, exactly at the Mandaveli junction - Google Maps Link

And unless you reiterate that your car is a BS4 or BS6 (if that's the case), both bunks are notorious for extending your PUC by only 6 months whereas you are entitled for 12 months extension.

Cross posting my PUC experience from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
I did a PUC test on my way to the RTO to submit the documents. By the time I reached the RTO, the PUC test and the certificate where already updated on the RTO's portal and mParivahan app also displayed the PUC validity date. It is seamlessly centralised. PUC test in Chennai Adyar costs Rs 200 (Rs 60 is the stipulated fee and Rs 140 is the service charge for the same). I got this done at Chennai Mandaveli for Rs 80 (Rs 60 is the stipulated fee and Rs 20 is the service charge for the same). Both the centres are well equipped and also add the car licence plate image into the PUC certificate.
tud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:50   #3547
BHPian

Revised fines as per new CMVR are getting implemented from today in TN as the state government has finally notified it. I believe the implementation will be a bit active for few weeks at least in Chennai. Hope the huge increase in fines act as deterrent for rule breakers and not just result in increased bribery.
Old 26th October 2022, 21:11   #3548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Adyar - IOC bunk, diagonally opposite to the Adyar Telephone Exchange - Google Maps Link
I've been getting PUC done year-on-year in this IOC COCO since 2018. Have always got it for 12 months everytime for BS4. And it reflects in mParivahan as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrasin_selvan View Post
The buses which you saw must have been the ones which are operated for long Deepavali holidays, since CMBT cannot sustain the extra rush.
But the Vandalur bus stand isn't among the boarding points for TNSTC/SETC for the Diwali holidays. Below were the published boarding points

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-setc.jpg
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 22:05   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

But the Vandalur bus stand isn't among the boarding points for TNSTC/SETC for the Diwali holidays. Below were the published boarding points
Temporary bus stand was operated for Deepawali from Kilambakkam. It was covered in some Tamil news channels. I believe it is only SETC. In fact, I remember last year also they arranged few buses to go into the temporary bus stand but was horrible due to mud and slush. My cousin experienced it first hand last year.
thanixravindran is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:46   #3550
Senior - BHPian

We were just talking about Kilambakkam bus stand last week. Its back in 'news' again. There was local flooding at the foot of the Vandalur bridge till Thiruvasantham hotel on Chengalpattu direction this afternoon. Traffic was backed up till the middle of the bridge moving at 1st gear speeds. Cars should get through without issues. Have to be careful crossing with scooters.

I saw 38 minutes travel time (usually 25 minutes) at Tambaram station and knew something was wrong and didn't take the bridge looking at the blood red.

The pictures should give some perspective. Would advise to go home before evening peak hour if you have to cross this.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-vandalurbusstand1nov1.png

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-vandalurbusstand2nov1.png
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 10:38   #3551
BHPian

Here's what I am missing most these days, during my daily commute on OMR: Auto Start Stop. As many of you know, I have the last of the previous gen Tucsons AWD. It was fine in Delhi, where traffic flows due to flyovers and one-ways and especially, no traffic lights between my home and commute to Gurgaon! I was averaging 14 kmpl in mixed driving conditions.

On OMR, the traffic lights at Sholinganallur, Accenture, Infosys, etc. are long ones, 5-7 mins. You can see your fuel economy drop by as much as 4km per litre. Could I switch off manually? Yes, but one does not always remember.
xantia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 16:18   #3552
BHPian

Last night they made the Tambaram - Velachery Road single lane between the Pallikarani bus stop and Senghazani Amman Temple. Took me 30 Mins to cross that 1 Km stretch. Due to the vehicle build up, our overly smart intelligent folks took the opposite lane and made the situation more pathetic.

They should have widened the road first and taken up the storm water drains work. It's all done is pieces and is causing traffic jams daily in the morning. The only other route is the Kovillambakkam - Radial Road and Metro has taken up that road too. It's becoming hectic to drive between Tambaram - Velachery/Shollinganallur/OMR
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-33fb20b27a6e4c5dbcd5864d22602cf5.jpeg  

Last edited by saisree : 18th November 2022 at 16:23.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 23:45   #3553
BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I frequently use hand sanitizer due to my profession, but two bizarre incidents made me re-evaluate the use of hand sanitizer.
Yesterday evening while returning from duty, I was stopped by traffic police stopped for a routine breath analysis. It came strongly positive. It was painful to explain to cops that it was due to hand sanitizer and after a thorough background check including manual check, they let me go. So please avoid hand sanitizer when driving, especially in the evenings.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 11th December 2022 at 23:46.
FrozeninTime is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 23:58   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
I frequently use hand sanitizer due to my profession, but two bizarre incidents made me re-evaluate the use of hand sanitizer.
Yesterday evening while returning from duty, I was stopped by traffic police stopped for a routine breath analysis. It came strongly positive. It was painful to explain to cops that it was due to hand sanitizer and after a thorough background check including manual check, they let me go. So please avoid hand sanitizer when driving, especially in the evenings.
Additionally, I see that these breath analyser tests are usually conducted more on Saturdays and yesterday, being a Saturday, would have been an added point too.
Old 12th December 2022, 11:55   #3555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
I do not know if you're aware of this but you're not supposed to drink the hand sanitiser

Cheers
tilt is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks