Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2009, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Not abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
With Turbo Diesels, i'd say

1. Not following the Turbo timing rules of 30sec stationary before moving a cold engine and 30secs before cutting off the engine after stopping.

I don't follow the 30 sec stationary rule. However I ensure that the accelerator is not touched for the first 30 - 60 seconds of the ride. I don't think this amount to abuse. Even if I have to accelerate, I ensure that it is to a minimum. The turbo kicks in only at about 2k rpm. As long as I keep it much below that, it should get sufficiently lubricated before/after use.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

i would say a simple factor which determines whether a person abuses his car would be to observe how he drives over potholes.If he cares about his ride he would slow down and try to go as gently as possible.If he doesn't he's gonna fly over it thunking and clunking.

OT,
When i was in a particular Co. the vice president was given a co car (honda city).I was once walking down the road leading to the office when i noticed our VP (munna bhai VP as we used to call him ) driving towards a marked speed breaker.The dude did not even bothered to slow down and went over it with a nice thud.Moral of the story if its not your own car you are driving then you wont care too much about it.That's the reason i never let almost anyone to drive my car.
Old 8th November 2009, 12:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Over the years I have noticed that the driver at Service Stations care two hoots about driving regulations and abuse the cars the most. e.g: I have still not seen a single SA /mechanic at Mahindra Workshop who follow the 30 second turbo regulation. Few of them start with the a/c on and what not.

I guess as Sumeet said, most people hardly tend to care if its not their own car. Also a lot of people don't know how to take care of their cars. They just fill fuel and drive.
Old 8th November 2009, 14:47   #19
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance here...

But does sudden acceleration wear & tear the clutch more then driving sedately? If it does so, then arent we exposing the clutch to much shorter life span then what it is actually being designed for?

Wouldnt it be called abusing the clutch? And in turn the car?

Guys who drive new age Diesels are so much addicted to this ( sudden acceleration and boom ). Including myself.

Are we abusing our clutches?

Last edited by Bubby : 8th November 2009 at 14:49.
Old 8th November 2009, 14:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
What i consider abusing :
1. Revving to warm the engine after a cold start.
Shan2nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
overlooking basics (e.g. revving a cold engine hard),
Is that an abuse?? Just being inquisitive..I have always read that you should rev your engine hard afer a cold start so that the flow gets smooth and the engine warms up before you move the vehicle resulting in a better FE and better life of the engine.Can you guys illustrate a bit further on this topic
Old 8th November 2009, 15:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Is that an abuse?? Just being inquisitive..I have always read that you should rev your engine hard afer a cold start so that the flow gets smooth and the engine warms up before you move the vehicle resulting in a better FE and better life of the engine.Can you guys illustrate a bit further on this topic
One should never rev a cold engine whether it is a diesel or Petrol. Reasons is that on a cold engine, the oil flow for lubrication between moving part isn't at its optimum desired level. Also the compression between the piston and cylinder sleeves is also not what is optimum. Hence it is better to run the engine with a light load for the first few minutes till the engine is in the operating temperature range (normally about 84 -90 deg C). All new ecu controlled engines compensate for cold starts by sending in more fuel in the begining to prepare a richer mixture and enabling continuing of the combustion cycle.

In case of very cold starts when missing is present, it is better to let the engine run for a few seconds and then switch it off to start again.
Old 8th November 2009, 15:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
One should never rev a cold engine whether it is a diesel or Petrol. Reasons is that on a cold engine, the oil flow for lubrication between moving part isn't at its optimum desired level. Also the compression between the piston and cylinder sleeves is also not what is optimum. Hence it is better to run the engine with a light load for the first few minutes till the engine is in the operating temperature range (normally about 84 -90 deg C). All new ecu controlled engines compensate for cold starts by sending in more fuel in the begining to prepare a richer mixture and enabling continuing of the combustion cycle.

In case of very cold starts when missing is present, it is better to let the engine run for a few seconds and then switch it off to start again.
Thanks buddy for the clarifications.
Old 8th November 2009, 17:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
No cooldude not at all , its good to clear up the throat sometimes . What I have found is spirited riding/driving keeps the engine healthy .
Spot on, black12rr. I don't know why, but an engine that has been high-revved ever so often feels so much better / open / revv-happier / crisper than another that has never gone above 2,500 rpms.
Old 9th November 2009, 02:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spot on, black12rr. I don't know why, but an engine that has been high-revved ever so often feels so much better / open / revv-happier / crisper than another that has never gone above 2,500 rpms.
Engines with higher piston-cylinder wall clearances are free-revving compared to those with lesser piston clearances. It isn't necessarily bad. My ever redlining (), free-revving esteem engine still pushes 220 psi in a compression test. (Touchwood)

This trick is used in building race engines. But, there are other factors like oil consumption that are considered while deciding the clearance.

Last edited by nitrous : 9th November 2009 at 02:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks