Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 21:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys, sometimes this city receives in 24 hours, the amount of rain some others receive in weeks. There are 3 - 4 intense spells lasting a few days each year, thanks to low pressure/depression in the bay, that brings in sheets of rain. Come to think of it, that is the entire monsoon for us! The drainage network, nothing to get ecstatic about to begin with, is quickly overwhelmed. And the encroachment of lake beds, the natural drainage destination for the water, does not help either.

It has been raining non-stop for 24 hours now and it looks good to keep it up for another two days. Don't hate the rain, welcome it. Two wells in our apartment complex, each about 40 feet deep and 7 feet dia, have almost completely filled up and the water will reach ground level sometime early tomorrow. As Secretary of the association, it is my duty to shut off the rain water harvest system to the wells and divert the flow out to the street as soon as it happens. Else, the water will back up in the pipes, collect like a swimming pool on the terrace, and cause seepage in the upper floor flats. I am on my toes, but I am HAPPY!
Old 7th November 2009, 22:19   #17
BHPian

Ok guys just back from Mandaveli.Waterlogging was there but not too threatening at the moment. Went by bus and the driver did a decent timing . Very little traffic today, thanks to the rain.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ Para_7K, my drive was a very cool one from Sholinganallur to Pallavaram!

Took off from office by around 9:45PM and I was home after dropping my friend off in Pammal main road by 10:30PM! I took the Medavakam, Chitlapakam, Chrompet route and I dint find any water logged road! It was like usual, it was our office which was getting flooded
Old 7th November 2009, 23:07   #19
BHPian

Just came back from Ambattur OT. The exchange junction is flooded and has lots of submerged potholes. Please drive carefully. Traffic came to stand still in the ambattur estate road.
Old 8th November 2009, 00:18   #20
BHPian

Guys, I drove last night from Sholinganallur to Anna nagar and did it in 90 minutes flat between 6:30 pm and 8:00 pm. This is just 15 minutes more than usual. Chennai's storm water drain is among the best in India, atleast on Paper. The encroachments on water bodies is the main culprit. Chennai is also located on an almost perfect plain and there are no natural slopes for the water to drain unlike all the other metros. No other metros approve amendments to allow illegal constructions every year except chennai. Almost 50 % buildings in Chennai are either completely illegal or doesn't comply to the norms
Old 8th November 2009, 01:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

It has been raining continously again since evening, and looks like it is going to continue throughout the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Potential groom so can't miss .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Ok guys just back from Mandaveli. ...
any luck ???
Old 8th November 2009, 12:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Been driving in the rains from Wednesday.

Went to my thoraipakam office in the morning, finished some work, took off to MEPZ. At the end of byepass road, while taking left into one of the small roads, tried to give way to a truck climbing up. Road under me gives in and my car was 50% inside a ditch. Thankfully the length of the car saved it from toppling. Called for a recovery van which took indefinitely long to come. So with the help of some good Samaritans and locals, I got my car out of the ditch. Went to Capital Honda for a quick check. Rear bumper clip broke, under engine guard buttons broke, a minor dent in the exhaust pipe. No major damage, thankfully.

Wednesday night, left office (MEPZ) at 11 PM, it started pouring, thankfully no flooding on the road all the way till adayar. Next day I was told that there were a lot of cars submerged between Pallavaram and Chromepet, as spotted by my friends who left by 7 PM. I guess by the time I left they were removed.

Thursday was peaceful in comparison. Friday night was horrendous. I think the rain started in the afternoon. By 730 PM when I left work, rain had left enough water on the road for the drainages to say no, not anymore! :P. So 3 lanes on one side of road had become 1.5 to 2. Factor people riding on opposite lanes with highbeam (Chennai special), and pouring rain, I almost gave up going home. You meander at 30 - 50 km/h, a bus or a truck with only one headlight working suddenly appears from nowhere and zoops past you throwing a huge splash that literally throws you off the road! Somehow got home alive. I was happy that I can stay indoors for 12 hours minimum!

Saturday there was a movie to catch, started from adyar to satyam at 1130 got there inside after parking at 12, which I felt was decent (it was pouring heavily all the time). Got into an argument with an Auto driver on the way. He was driving on the right of the road and refused to budge on light flashing/honking. Had to overtake from the left and consequently splashed water into his vehicle. So he advices me not to go faster than 10 - 15 (his speed) in the rain. I give up and stop arguing. Return trip at 4, same story repeated, auto on right, me on left, water splash, another angry autowallah! :P

Decide to go to Cream Center for dinner, rain had eased, but street lights seem to have failed at many places. Made it difficult because of cabbies refusing to drive with anything but high beam lights irrespective of oncoming traffic. Came back home at 1030.
Later in the night (2AM), dropped a friend at Perungudi. That drive was the best of the weekend, wet roads, little rain, no traffic, cruising at 60-70 on OMR.

Not ventured out today so far. Have a trip to Chetpet in the evening (hoping one of my friends to pick me up ), I wish for one more drive like the OMR one yesterday night.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th November 2009 at 10:32. Reason: removing unwanted line.
Old 8th November 2009, 12:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
any luck ???
Howz the flood situation in arcot road
Old 8th November 2009, 14:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Just came back from Ambattur OT. The exchange junction is flooded and has lots of submerged potholes. Please drive carefully. Traffic came to stand still in the ambattur estate road.
I had to call of my team's night shift due to this. Worst part is that there is a client visit the whole of the coming week.
Old 9th November 2009, 02:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Did Thirumangalam - Anna Nagar East - Chetpet - Nungambakkam - Alwarpet - Adyar - IIT - Koturpuram today. Roads were just damp with a few puddles here and there. Of course, it did rain hard intermittently all the time.

This is nowhere close to the worst monsoon we've had. (yet)
As Thalaivar would put it, Jujupee!
Old 9th November 2009, 07:42   #26
BHPian

I would say there is some improvement in the drainage. I understand few crores of bucks spent in new / renovation of drainage system. I hope atleast few lakhs went in that
I do not see much water logging in Anna Nagar. Last year it was 2 to 4 ft high. Last year, it was unplanned water release from the reservoirs made the situation extremely worse along Virugambakkam and the 100 ft road.

This year, the water logging in 100ft road is much less. The CMBT-Vadapalani-Guindy direction is OK. No water. But the reverse direction is pathetic.

Water logging is one problem - Cars / other vehicles that stopped in the middle of the road cause of water entering the silencer is real problematic one. It has the potential of causing other vehicles too to have the same destiny as them.

Any suggestions on this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-monsoon.html
Old 9th November 2009, 10:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

This year is far better compared to how it was last year. Ask Mission Safari he would talk of his travails of going back from Perungudi to Mogappair. Certainly there is some improvement which has happened, though I feel the rain water harvesting system also contributes to an extent for the ground not absorbing faster as the rains continue. Earlier the water used to seep into the ground slower and a major portion used to run off. Now very little water runs off and the ground gets recharged in double quick time, hence when it rains continuously water starts to accumulate more since the water table increases faster. The well in my house used to have water to pump only for about 15 minutes at a time till last weekend. Today its about 6 feet from the ground level. Thats the difference one week's rain has made.

This thread has pictures of last year.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...flooded-5.html
Old 9th November 2009, 13:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

I for one certainly love & welcome this rain. What is a little bit of hardship compared to the dreadful heat we face all year ? I love driving in the rain even where there are traffic snarls. There is nothing more lovely than to sit in the car with soft music & hearing the pitter patter of rain drops on the car with the wipers doing a fantastic job of giving me clear vision for the 20kmph drive that we do. Yes, I have had my worst nightmares during the rains last year and in 2005, but still.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:53   #29
BHPian

Water on the road acceptable ! water inside office scared me out. We had left samples on the floor on Friday and they are wet
Old 9th November 2009, 14:00   #30
BHPian

We have had only 5-6 days of rain. Already we are talking about better than last years. Every year we are hit by atleast 2-3 cyclones. We are at the first one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks