Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Swift has superb brakes.

No amount of brakes could help stop a car hurtling at 100 kmph within 15 feet.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:44   #17
BHPian

The myth that ABS = more powerful braking is quite prevalent. ABS will kick in only if there is a wheel lock. If the wheels are not locked there will be no difference between ABS and normal brakes
Old 9th November 2009, 11:39   #18
BHPian

100+ speed on a single lane is too adventurous !! I think because of Swift's good brakes you have only this much damage !!
Old 9th November 2009, 11:53   #19
BHPian

Parash, Good to hear that you were not hurt, the car looks in bad shape but let insurance worry about it.
I always see people think ABS is that one solution to all driving problems. As others have mentioned, unless your wheels had locked and you skidded some distance, ABS wouldn't have done any good. Rather, with ABS, you would have been more confident and doing 120.
You were in similar situation with your Skoda?! Hmm, seems like its time you slowed down little bit during night driving.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:21   #20
BHPian

Distance to stop matters and not ABS

You are 80-100kmph, only 15 ft distance to stop, and no place to maneuver! So, this equation will make it difficult for any car with or without ABS. I guess periodically checking the road clearance with High beam will also help. Drive safe!
Old 9th November 2009, 12:33   #21
BHPian

@paraskhurana - ABS will be mandatory on all Cars from April 2012.

But, in the meanwhile, you can try our good old Bus Drivers and Jeep Drivers trick (Indian ABS). They pump the Brakes leaving a gap of a second or more.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:34   #22
BHPian

IMHO - not only ABS but a sane sense of driving is also required. The max speed limit on most of the indian highways & expressways (Which are in very good shape - NH1, Noida GNoida E'way, DND etc) is less than 90 KMPH. on Highways like this you should not have been driving this fast.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:53   #23
BHPian

Your tires make a lot of difference, change to 175/80 14 or 195/60 15- see the difference, your will feel more confident on high speeds/braking/cornering.

Since you have this car and its without ABS- it sure is a worthy spend to get good rubber
Old 9th November 2009, 12:59   #24
BHPian

Sorry to hear about it paraskhurana, but did I read 100kmph, dark and single lane road in the same paragraph? This was bound to happen. To get out of these you dont need ABS or airbags, what you need is grace of god and you had plenty of that!

Welcome to t-bhp.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

I personally find it a bit funny that everyone's saying 100 kph is unsafe etc etc.

Agree with Esteem_Lover: With 15 feet (5m) - assuming a reaction time of 0.6 sec - even at 36 kph (10m/s) - the accident would've happened nonetheless before any braking.

Its very easy for everyone here to wax eloquent on speeds but ultimately:
a. Its an individual comfort decision
b. Everyone speeds in real life. Some more, some less.

Give Paras a break with the speeches, eh?
Old 9th November 2009, 16:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I personally find it a bit funny that everyone's saying 100 kph is unsafe etc etc.

Agree with Esteem_Lover: With 15 feet (5m) - assuming a reaction time of 0.6 sec - even at 36 kph (10m/s) - the accident would've happened nonetheless before any braking.

Its very easy for everyone here to wax eloquent on speeds but ultimately:
a. Its an individual comfort decision
b. Everyone speeds in real life. Some more, some less.

Give Paras a break with the speeches, eh?
Hahaha... We aint piling up on him for over speeding! I have to confess I have done as high 170+!

What we all mean is not to hurtle your car without knowing what is coming upfront, in other words, when you see an obstacle in front of you, your speed should be what it takes to either stop / slow down the car or our maneuver the obstacle

@Paras - this is not only for you, but something every driver should follow by instinct. If you cant see what is coming up, slow down and find ways to make sure what is out there before you speed up!
Old 9th November 2009, 20:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Hahaha... We aint piling up on him for over speeding! I have to confess I have done as high 170+!
Dont tell me that you had started riping your black beast,
Old 10th November 2009, 20:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
periodically checking the road clearance with High beam will also help.
A similar incident almost happened to me on the NH-17.

Was on a high-speed stretch near Nagothane, doing around 120 (yes, I, too, speed). It was pitch dark ahead, when suddenly was alerted to a slight glint up ahead. Slowed down and flashed the "pass" beam. IT WAS A TRUCK WITH THE BACK COMPLETELY COVERED IN SOME TAR-LIKE MATERIAL. NO BRAKE-LIGHT, NOTHING.

Thanked my stars I noticed it in time.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Trying to reduce the gear at that nic of a moment is not possible for everyone. Only few experience people with good reflex action can do that.

pumping the breaks twice also could've helped but our mind is blank and have only option to slam the breaks as hard as possible.
The best thing to upgrade your head lamps to higher wattage and never ever forget to wear seat belts.
Never mind learn a lesson.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

The ABS helps you to maintain full steering and directional stability when you brake heavily in an emergency, by preventing the road wheels from locking. The ABS does not releive you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention.

The ABS will not eliminate the dangers inherent when:
-you drive too close to the vehicle in front of you.
-you take corners too fast
-the road surface is poor.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks