Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 09:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

I enjoy driving through puddles at moderate speeds to prevent aqua planing. But only on highways and roads if there is no inconvenience to others
Old 17th January 2013, 17:49   #32
BHPian

Re: Avoid puddles? Or drive through them for fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
... I'll be the first to admit that there's is an inexplicable pleasure in driving through shallow water. Can't explain it but I feel it every time it rains.
For the same reason as we all (well, most of us) would have jumped and splashed in the puddle during childhood days!

Well, now that we've grown-up and the muddy/murky water isn't as attractive to jump in person as before, the car seems to a convenient extension of ours without the inconvenience of getting wet and dirty!!

However, I fully agree. The dangers of aquaplaning is very real and could happen much sooner than you think (i.e., even at lesser speed than you think).

Things contribute towards aquaplaning:
vehicle speed (higher = bad);
water depth (higher = bad);
tread condition (worn = bad);
tyre pressure (lower = bad);
tyre profile (lower & wider tyres = bad);
laden weight (lesser = bad)

Reliance on technology (ABS, EBD, ESP, WHATNOT) can help you only if you are fortunate (typical controls like tyre speed and direction control/change will only make things worse).

Best is to avoid the above contributing conditions and SLOW DOWN MUCH BEFORE you hit the puddle.

Remember, speed is THE ONLY factor you can control from the above list as you approach the puddle.

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2013, 17:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

I always avoid driving through puddles come what may!

Puddle water is usually a mixture of water + mud!

When one drives through it, tires spray the stuff all over the rear part of front fender and the front doors(I always try to prevent dirt and dust getting on my paint) + the chassis

Now the spray on the paint can be removed as it is easily visualized!

The mud+water combo gets deposited on the underside of the car + chassis and starts to dry. The mud can hold water and even when majority of it has dried, there is water still in the core which is in constant contact with the chassis as mud is holding it there! This promotes corrosion!!(and usually all dealer installed anti rust coatings are never 100% reliable! They always miss spots)

Last edited by sohail99 : 17th January 2013 at 18:01.
Old 8th February 2013, 11:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow, forget puddles! How about driving through the ocean! Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4T4vc1QqiPM
Old 8th February 2013, 11:47   #35
BHPian

I absolutely love driving through puddles. I used to head out on my cycle as a child and would ride through puddles. There's a child in all of us. The one in me loves the puddles but ofcourse at lower speeds. I DO NOT drive through puddles if I do not know the roads or there are any pedestrians/vehicles around.

Last year late August on my brother in law's birthday it poured cats and dogs. I had to pick up a gift for him since there was a family dinner late in the evening. If any of you know Promenade mall in Vasant Kunj the diversion from the main road leads you to a road which is much lower. That day there was stagnant water on the road. As the road level declines as you move ahead my beat was submerged to a good extent where my wheels were almost covered. The Superb ahead of my Beat stalled and the owner tried to bring it to life but it would not start. I panicked. I reversed at very high revs and got out. It may have been a wrong approach but I got out of it alive. Drove the car around at 20-30 kms and tested the brakes. Everything seemed fine.

As I was getting out of the mall noticed a Scorpio pulling out the Superb. I am glad sense prevailed over childish pleasures.
Old 17th February 2013, 21:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

I only drive through puddles if the following criteria are met.

1) there is no one around who I will splash water on (pedestrians and bikers especially)
2) I know the road and am certain there is no possibility of a pothole or man cover etc.
3) the water is clean
4) my car has become muddy from the rain and driving through the puddle will help remove some of that mud water before I am able to get home or to a car wash and use a hose to clean the vehicle

I know how dangerous driving through water can be. Drove my brothers car through a flooded street and wound up seizing the engine. Not fun or cheap to repair.
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:06   #37
BHPian

For me it is a pleasure only when the vehicle in a ad does it. The car becomes yucky to see after a puddle splash. During rains it is unavoidable then I do it.
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it could be fun etc IF all factors are in your favour. You can never judge the depth or the length of a seemingly puddle. Sometimes (or all the times) even in our 4 lane super highways, there are uneven surfaces of road which collect water and if you are in a rush through these 'puddles', you will lose sight of the road for quite a few seconds (Even with a super duper modern car's wiper) and even at 60kmph, with a vehicle or two or the median beside you, it could mean a serious disaster. So please shelve these thoughts guys.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
you will lose sight of the road for quite a few seconds (Even with a super duper modern car's wiper) and even at 60kmph, with a vehicle or two or the median beside you, it could mean a serious disaster. So please shelve these thoughts guys.
Experienced this one day in the Bangalore torrential rains. There was not even a puddle, this being a 4 lane road but when an Eicher overtook me, it splashed the water on the roads on the entire windscreen.

It was total blindness for a few seconds.
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier I used to love the mud splatter pattern on the front doors(even on the rear ones if drive in reverse) and I used to do it often, ensuring the no one was nearby who can get sprayed. Of course I cleaned the bike/car the very next to spik and span state. Later sense prevailed and I slowly realized the damage it can cause and I try and avoid water as much as possible. I like my bike/car to be as clean as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks