Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 15:21   #1
BHPian

Avoid puddles? Or drive through them for fun?

more on the rainy days in chennai..
there are now quite a few areas on the road when the water stagnates and it is quite common to see a few cars drive at fullclip sending waves of water flying out from the wheel well and onto other passing motorists.
i must admit that once, i too had the urge to do that and waiting for an empty stretch, let loose.
unfortunately the water level was a bit high and the water started flowing in from the floor area most probably from the clutch/brake pedal area and i quickly stopped and checked if the water had enterd the air filter by any chance.luckily, that did not happen and i went on my way quite sobered down!
i am sure that most would not know the consequences of water entering the air intake(especialy if the car is a turbo-charged one). apart from getting the warranty devoid, the expenses will be too huge and is definitely not worth the 5 seconds of fun of driving in a stagnant pool of water!
a prolonged drive in stagnant water, can also result in the water entering through the drive shaft area and result in a larger engine transmission damage as well, especailly in older cars where the drive shaft boot(rubber bellows)invariably might have minor cuts,that one might not notice during dry days.
apart from that the water that has entered the cabin, spoils the floor carpet and it will definitely cost you some, to have the whole thing removed, dried, disinfected and fitted back....

so the next time you see a tempting puddle of water it is best to drive around it than over it and save some unnecessary expense in the bargain!
Old 11th November 2009, 16:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

bang on dude. Even i used to do it,but not to scare the motorists. But then when i did that i realised how foolish we are by getting the drain water inside the car. So people reading this thread please be aware off and whatever "james" has told is 100% true
Old 11th November 2009, 16:03   #3

Driving over water logged roads

To certain extent I won't agree. Not exaggerating, but I once drove through waves of water in Delhi in my humble Maruti 800 (10 years old.) I was driving to my gf's house and possible you can understand I had to drive thorugh a 3 feet high water flow. The alternate route would take 45 minutes, otherwise it would take 15 minutes. So I had to save that precious 30 minutes. The water was logged in an underpass. No outlet was constructed and water was stagnant. I saw from a distance that some cars were taking a detour and some who tried to brave the water stopped on the other side of the water log. By the way the stretch was hardly 10-12 metres. Each and every car which crossed stopped as their engine seized and all you see was vapour coming out of the engine and some owners tearing their hair off. I once thought let me go back and not take a risk, but then it was a prestige issue for my car (what my 800 cannot do it? and ya you are young then..young blood !!) and theyy danaddan !! Shifted to gear 1 and pressed the pedal and off I went. It was an amazing experience, if you are wading through a 3 feet high water, the bonnet is already covered and you can see water splashing on the windshield. the water level from the window pane was hardly 2-3 inches, whch means I could touch the water with my hand without much effort. I kept telling myself, go steady, not a sudden acceleration, keep the exhaust busy, gradual acceleration and most importantly dont do anything stupid that would make me stranded right in the middle of the water body (Coz there were non, either they are on this side or the other side). Each and everyone looked at my car and me ofcourse while I emerged victorious from my stupid act. I just sped off.
Aftermath --> Water was inside my car floor maybe an inch high, carpet was all wet and no damage !!

Last edited by Eddy : 11th November 2009 at 17:33. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed.
Old 11th November 2009, 16:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

"Abb" You were lucky to have survived that incident. Lucky there was no electronic connection etc in your vehicle at that time
Old 11th November 2009, 16:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

The other reason to avoid stagnant rain water would be the fact that you do not know how deep the pot hole / crater etc. would be ! There might even be an open manhole for all you know !
Old 11th November 2009, 16:54   #6
BHPian

Well i would stay away from stagnant water since i once had a very bad and expensive incident when i drove straight into the puddle at around 90 kmph thinking it would be fun but as soon as i hit the water BANG. Their was a concrete slab under the water and it damaged my bumper and dented my bonnet and Tyre rims too. I was in my esteem at that time. Similar incident happened again with me when i was driving my sierra. Altough this was minor and just lost my alignment this time.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:13   #7
BHPian

Guys, for the past one week even I was driving in the rains. Today, when I was driving with doors closed and AC ON, everything was normal, but I smelled all the smoke that was cmoing on the road, also I smelled the stench of garbage and drainage, whenever I crossed them.

Is it normal, if not what could be the problem?
Old 11th November 2009, 17:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, for the past one week even I was driving in the rains. Today, when I was driving with doors closed and AC ON, everything was normal, but I smelled all the smoke that was cmoing on the road, also I smelled the stench of garbage and drainage, whenever I crossed them.

Is it normal, if not what could be the problem?
Air intake setting should be set to 'recirculating' , right now I guess it is set to allow fresh air from outside and that is why along with the fresh air, you are getting the 'smells' too !
Old 11th November 2009, 17:52   #9
BHPian

Thanks Kannan! Seems I have been so ignorant to this for so long, just came back after setting the knob to recirculation mode, all througout I have been driving in fresh-air mode. Just to verify again, I kept the knob to something which looked inverted "C" with an arrow at its bottom, was I right?

Sorry guys for being OT.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kannan! Seems I have been so ignorant to this for so long, just came back after setting the knob to recirculation mode, all througout I have been driving in fresh-air mode. Just to verify again, I kept the knob to something which looked inverted "C" with an arrow at its bottom, was I right?

Sorry guys for being OT.
Since I do not know the make of your car, it is hard to confirm that but in most cars, the unit is well defined, it has clear markings for recirculation as well as for fresh air intake. Mostly the recirculating marking will be of small arrows going all around while for fresh air it will be marked with small pointed arrows aimed into the car icon.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
..........Just to verify again, I kept the knob to something which looked inverted "C" with an arrow at its bottom, was I right?...
Yes, that should be right. The inverted C is a circular arrow, to signify recirculation.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is another issue of hydroplaning if you hit a shallow pool at any speeds in excess of say about 25-30 Kmpl depending upon the vehicle and the load factor. And it can get quite dirty and scary at the same time. So always slow down gauge the water and then drive through. Best is avoid or if it cannot be absolutely avoided do try to keep one set of tyres on dry tarmac.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

Its just plain rude to do that to other people on the road.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:47   #14
BANNED

Stagnant water on the road means its grimy, dirty, oily, and what not. I do not see any sense in splashing or driving through it unless absolutely required.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:58   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes this is a dangerous practice.
1. inconvenience to pedestrians, passers-by, two wheelers, other cars and vehicles.
2. danger of losing control on account of aquaplaning
3. danger of losing visibility completely when water splashes onto the windshield.

while it may look like fun, this type of activity has a seriously bad sting in the tail, so I wouldn't advise anyone to do this even in a spirit of "fun and/or play".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks