Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 07:58   #16
BHPian

Similar incident happened with me, Me and a couple of my friends went out for a holiday (160 kms from HYD) and while coming back , we were around 100kmph and tall grass was on both sides of the road, at a point we realised that people were standing on the road and we were reducing the speed and by the time we reduced to 80, a cattle(not old, not too young, maybe it crossed its teen age) jumped out of the bushes and hit our car exactly between the left fender and the door, heavy damage, Fender, door, Wind shield everything got screwed. on the country side, people feed their cattle on the road sides and the cattle just roam around the road and cause inconvenience for the vehicle travelling throu8gh that path. We cant teach those cattle road rules, but all we can do is just keep en eagle eye on whats in our path and avoid high speeding where you have lots of bushes on either sides of the road.
Old 15th November 2009, 00:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Actually a lot of people do drive at 150+. And I don't think that it is something to be rectified by education. Driving responsibly does not mean driving slowly. A lot of rubbernecks drive at 40 kph, and still crash.
And regarding guilt, that is precisely my point. Should we feel guilty for the rest of our life for someone else's mistake? Shouldn't there be a way to prevent such a thing from happening? I think education is the key.
P.S.-Why not in a Honda City?
Old 15th November 2009, 05:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Actually a lot of people do drive at 150+. And I don't think that it is something to be rectified by education. Driving responsibly does not mean driving slowly. A lot of rubbernecks drive at 40 kph, and still crash.
A lot of people driving well above the legal speed limit is not OK. Just because a lot of people do it, that does not make it right. Crashing and speed need not necessarily be related.

Quote:
And regarding guilt, that is precisely my point. Should we feel guilty for the rest of our life for someone else's mistake? Shouldn't there be a way to prevent such a thing from happening? I think education is the key.
P.S.-Why not in a Honda City?
Agree with education. A lot of people drive out there with valid licenses, but have no clue of road rules. The only solution would probably be to enforce rules and impose hefty punishments, both for the guy driving on the wrong side as well as the guy speeding.

Rajan
Old 15th November 2009, 07:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what Rajan said.

150 kmph is NOT a safe speed on Indian highways. One may argue that despite knowledge of the consequences, you driving at 150, are at an equal fault.

High speed is the first form of rash driving which we conveniently sweep under the carpet.
Old 15th November 2009, 08:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

This happens all the time on NH-24 bypass while I'm going towards Ghaziabad from Noida.

Cops block/control/manage the traffic on the opposite road(leading to noida) leading to massive jams.

Eventually, nearly all of the oncoming bikes can be seen in the right-most lane of the other road(going towards Gzb) Again leading to jams on this side!

Moreover, all of this happens in front of the cops who seem to turn a blind eye!
Old 15th November 2009, 08:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Eventually, nearly all of the oncoming bikes can be seen in the right-most lane of the other road(going towards Gzb) Again leading to jams on this side!

Moreover, all of this happens in front of the cops who seem to turn a blind eye!
That my friend, is the problem. We expect cops to do something about it, while all those bikers know what they are doing is wrong and still choose to do it

And we blame the cops

Rajan
Old 15th November 2009, 09:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That my friend, is the problem. We expect cops to do something about it, while all those bikers know what they are doing is wrong and still choose to do it

And we blame the cops

Rajan
Can't word any better than this. Well said.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:46   #23
BHPian

wildsdi,

I am sure about which highway & which part of India you are talking where you get to experience this. It happens only in Tamilnadu ! for your information.

I have driven all over Tamilnadu from Bangalore and also the pune - Mumbai expressway. There is a marked difference on how people behave in Tamilnadu.

In Tamil nadu, its very common to encounter TVS50s, Max100, tractors, bullock carts, and family on a cycle on the wrong opposite side, though the highway is a well made four lane or six lane including both sides.

I keep experiencing this during my drive every 2 weeks when i visit Coimbatore from Bangalore on business.

These morons dont seem to understand into what kind of risks they put themselves.

I also dont appreciate the fact that you drive @150kmph knowing this, in Tamilnadu. Do you do it just because you have an insurance?

Instead of thinking what might happen if you have a collision with a 2 wheeler speeding at 80kmph, i suggest you rather watch out and cruise at a decent and safe speed on these highways.

We cant correct the whole world, but its 100% possible to correct ourselves.

Safe driving mate ! Watch out ! GOD Bless you !

Last edited by nandans2005 : 16th November 2009 at 09:48.
Old 16th November 2009, 23:08   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
wildsdi,

It happens only in Tamilnadu ! for your information.
Why single out TN? I see morons on wrong side of NH4 between Pune (from the last toll on the Expressway - coz bikes are not allowed on Mumbai pune expressway) till Kolhapur. I see bikes on the extreme left.

The right lane is hogged sometimes by oncoming tractors coming on wrong side. Once Airavat I was travelling in from Udupi to Pune, coolly moved to the wrong side of NH4 as there is no space for them to take a turn to go to their designated breakfast stop near pune (Natraj Hotel on NH4 around 40 odd kms). The hotel was on the right side of the highway. Bus goes on the wrong side, gets in the hotel. When we are thru with our breakfast, driver comes out and keeps driving on the right side till he comes to the next break in the median and gets on to the proper lane.

Worst thing was I was driving my ikon at 100 kmph yesterday. 40 odd miles after Satara, I see a huge tractor trailer making a U turn bang in the middle of the highway with a lorry parked on the left corner with villagers sitting all over the lorry.
I slammed the brakes to come to a screeching halt 5 - 6 ft away from the tractor which was by then at 90 deg covering the whole highway.
Close shave. I thanked Mahalakshmi at Kolhapur for keeping me alive.

Quick to add for benefit of members. Airavat is the name of Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation's prestigious Volvo service.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th November 2009 at 23:37. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 14:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note:

Please stick to the topic of the thread. All off topic posts will be deleted.

Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 15:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

And we blame the cops

Rajan
I don't agree with you. It is human mentality to follow the path of least resistance. If everybody were so considerate of other's time, property or life, we wouldn't need any laws, police or the court. By nature, people follow only those rules which they know they can't get away breaking or if the convenience far outweighs the penalty.

Do you think people in the western world follow rules voluntarily? Why do people use radar detectors then? Any law is only as effective as its enforcement. How many do you think would even look at the signal if cops start ignoring signal jumping?

In this particular incident, if the cops had done their job, which they are paid for, and fined the first biker who decided to break the lane, we wouldn't be discussing this here right?

You are being overly idealistic buddy. The world doesn't function that way.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:37   #27
BHPian

Wildsdi,

I suggest you drive between 100 and 120. In my view, this is a nice speed. Also you have ample time to react to any situation on the highway. As the speed increases, even the reaction time is that much less and the chances of making errors are very high.

I see that you like speed, so have fun once in a while with 150 for a short while when you really get to see few kms ahead of you absolutely empty. Mind you speed thrills but its dangerous. By the way, why is your mind set on 150, would you mind telling why this speed.

As i have read on the Kovai-Bangalore highway, Speed is one way ticket to hell !, though i dont know why they want people to go to hell instead of heaven.

Its always better to avoid speeding always.

Safe Driving mate !

Last edited by nandans2005 : 17th November 2009 at 15:38.
Old 17th November 2009, 23:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nandan. That's how I usually drive. And yes I make sure I give enough room for reaction.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Why single out TN? I see morons on wrong side of NH4 between Pune (from the last toll on the Expressway - coz bikes are not allowed on Mumbai pune expressway) till Kolhapur. I see bikes on the extreme left.

The right lane is hogged sometimes by oncoming tractors coming on wrong side. Once Airavat I was travelling in from Udupi to Pune, coolly moved to the wrong side of NH4 as there is no space for them to take a turn to go to their designated breakfast stop near pune (Natraj Hotel on NH4 around 40 odd kms). The hotel was on the right side of the highway. Bus goes on the wrong side, gets in the hotel. When we are thru with our breakfast, driver comes out and keeps driving on the right side till he comes to the next break in the median and gets on to the proper lane.

Worst thing was I was driving my ikon at 100 kmph yesterday. 40 odd miles after Satara, I see a huge tractor trailer making a U turn bang in the middle of the highway with a lorry parked on the left corner with villagers sitting all over the lorry.
I slammed the brakes to come to a screeching halt 5 - 6 ft away from the tractor which was by then at 90 deg covering the whole highway.
Close shave. I thanked Mahalakshmi at Kolhapur for keeping me alive.

Quick to add for benefit of members. Airavat is the name of Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation's prestigious Volvo service.
... I use the NH4 daily especially the section which bypasses Pune City. People coming from the opposite side are very common. They can be an occasional errant two wheeler to a 16 wheeler container truck. So I am kind of used to it. Also I am sure all of the fellow members must be doing this , if you see a newly registered car ahead of you keep enough distance between you and him. The novice might hit his brakes and ur reflexes may not be able to save ur car and his new ride.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:30   #30
BHPian

hey Mx,

does this happen on the express way too ? i have not experienced any such thing on the express way when i used it.

Its quite difficult to make people understand.better to be careful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks