Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 14:53   #31
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
hey Mx,

does this happen on the express way too ? i have not experienced any such thing on the express way when i used it.

Its quite difficult to make people understand.better to be careful.
Doesn't happen on Mumbai pune expressway. Bikes and three wheelers are not allowed. Further, the entry and exit points are clear. people can't barge in from any place.
However, I once noticed police hauling up a share auto and a rajdhoot bike just before khopoli exit. Wonder how they managed to sneak in.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

My experiences on NH7 with wrong entrants....

Guys, I am spicing up this thread with some real life pics. We were on our way to Trichy from Salem (we were on a month long vacation to Velankanni, Kodai and Ooty) and joined NH7. The highway was very good. There was not many bad stretches till Karur. I was regularly maintaining 110-120 km/hr.

Oncoming traffic on the wrong side-highway-trichy-.jpg
Oncoming traffic on the wrong side-nh7-trichy.jpg

We had to be extremely careful about wrong entrants, when driving. We saw so many Lorries and sugar cane laden tractors coming straight at us, after we crossed some villages.

Oncoming traffic on the wrong side-highway-trichy_cyclist-about-jump-into-our-lane.jpg
Oncoming traffic on the wrong side-sugar-cane-lorries.jpg
Oncoming traffic on the wrong side-wrong-entrants_god-please-give-them-some-brains.jpg

The sugarcane tractor coming at me was only the beginning. We had a scare when a petrol tanker came straight at me at 80-90km/hr and I had to swerve very quickly to the left lane. At first, because of the reflection from the road, we never realised that the lorry was directly in our lane, speeding towards us.

We were really upset seeing the reckless driving of these idiots.

I would like to add that we never saw a single policeman or a police jeep for over 100 kilometers. Highway patrolling is non-existent there.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 18th November 2009 at 16:03.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

These tractors and lorries are a common sight on many highways, the Mysore- Bangalore highway is one example.
These guys get away with it too as there are no cops in these areas. There have been so many accidents, yet they never learn.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

The cycle wala in the third pic is a true idiot.

Their breed is always indecisive and ends up frozen in front of you more often than not.

As a matter of experiment in the city, I have tried to develop a way to make them stay where they are.

Now the important part is I am usually around 40-45 on the road. The max I'll touch would be 50.

Once I see a guy lurking around the shoulder ready to fall into my way, I start flashing lights. Now, I don't brake...but keeping going at the same speed. At the same time I ready myself to brake in case he does decide to jump in front.

When they see that the vehicle is not slowing down, the possibility of them crossing rarely arises in their minds.

This has worked perfectly for me in the past 6 months.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

EssYouWe. These guys are an unpredictable lot. Its best to be ready for any eventuality.

Leave them cycles guys, I have seen even tractors doing this.

They want to save an ounce of fuel and are willing to risk their lives for it. Sheer stupidity.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

The fact that people use the wrong lane is well established. Also the fact that it is dangerous is noted.
My point of starting this thread is whether we can do something to keep these people to our extreme left (If not in the service lane). Can we expunge from them the "KEEP LEFT" mentality?
If they travel in the overtaking lane, where we're likely to be at high speed, it is more dangerous. Also there is no place for them to get out of the way.
If they are on the left side, they are likely to encounter only lumbering trucks and can get off the road, if need be.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:31   #37
BHPian

Widsdi,

The issue here is purely with the mentality & attitude towards using any road in INDIA. Our guys here need to learn a lot and develop personally.

The attitude is such that "who cares a damn", Even the cops are not fully equipped to keep a check on the road users.

I personally dont think things will change in INDIA for a longtime to come.

For example, the medians on the kovai-Bangalore are given after a long distance. There are lot of villages on either side of the highway and the villagers need to use the highways and they are lazy to go across and inturn they end up on the wrong side. This attitude has to change.

The highways will not have any meaning if the medians are given at short distances. If this is done, the highway gets clogged at regular intervals since people start crossing over.

There is nothing much we can do about it, we have to leave for time to make changes.

The only difference should be that guys like you and me should be careful using such highways so that we avoid ourselves getting into any kind of situation.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nandans,
I'm familiar with Kovai. I've noticed that the people here do come on the wrong side. But they stay to the far left and not near the median.
Now down south the people are worse. They come on the far right next to the median and shout at you when you overtake a vehicle to keep to the left.
If it was not so tragic, it would be funny.
At least Coimbatore people are evolved than their southern counterparts regarding road manners.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:10   #39
BHPian

Caution is the key

Having separate lanes for going and oncoming vehicles is a recent phenomenon in most of the rural districts of India. Add to the penchant for risk and don't care (for oneself and others) attitude leaves little incentive for adhering to rules (which are not known most of the time). And so fuel saving is the most logical thing to follow

We know India is changing, but for such people, its the lack of education that has plagued them for long. The government does little in terms of teaching road sense (though I remember doordarshan ads asking people to check thoroughly while passing through unmanned railway crossings) ... so we are left with the feeling of 'ram bharose'.

Team-bhp can make an initiative to educate, but our country is too big! Till some sense prevails, all we can do is to cautious!
Old 28th November 2009, 00:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Cost crunching!

I agree with you in that fuel saving is a criteria. I live in Coimbatore. They have recently introduced 6 lane system which is very impractical in a city with so many side roads. Also a median has been introduced with no gaps for some side roads. Downside is that I have to travel 2 Kms extra and take a U-turn to reach my street. Some unfortunates who live closer to the town have to travel as much a 4 Kms. Now Considering the same in fuel costs, it means I'd spent 1 L of petrol every 5 days extra. About 10 Rs. extra in a day. Let's conveniently forget the environmental issues. So small wonder that motorcyclists and commercial vehicles go on the wrong way. The Police mama who is posted to prevent this manages to stop at least the cyclists who are forced to get off and push the cycle until the cross him.
But the silver lining is that the 'educated' people of Coimbatore at least keep to the edge of the road and don't drive in the center next to the median while going wrong way.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Police mama no longer at my street end. NOw I too can cycle wrong way. Saves mt at least 15 mins while going to tea shop. Plus no fear of having to cross the highway twice on my bicycle.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:13   #42
Team-BHP Support

Happens everywhere, not just in south or west but even we are plagued by this malice,
People can't fathom that modern motorcycles and cars can cruise ton+speeds all day long,
one huge moment--we 4 guys in a swift and bang opposite us(there was an unmarked median) appears a small lorry and we are doing around ~120(with not a thing in sight, it seemed safe), braked and steered to the left and that bugger didn't even slow down,

what i fail to understand is why authorities don't crack on this or take any preventive measure, most of these are localites
Old 10th December 2009, 14:43   #43
BHPian

start riding like this..
Old 10th December 2009, 23:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ha.Ha.Ha..
Iron, I won't be blinded by you at least. You don't have headlamps..
Old 11th December 2009, 10:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

This is the most irritating and dangerous driving habit. I have encountered this in Golden Quadrialateral ( NH4 and NH7) and this is a very common behaviour. To be on safe side, do not overtake in blind curves even on expressways. This is even more dangerous at night. I have even seen fully loaded bullock carts coming in the wrong side in NH4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks