Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 12:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Road Cum Swimming Pool!

Well dont be surprised. This is the state of the roads in south coorg.

More details
People who would have visited coorg may know that there is a road from Gonikoppa to Kutta from where you could go on to Nagarhole.

2 roads leading to kutta
Gonikoppa->Ponnampet->Hudikeri->Srimangala->Kutta
Gonikoppa->Ponnampet->Kanoor->Nalkeri->Kutta

Both these roads are important as the first one is used to reach kutta faster by 4 wheelers as its short and this road also leads to Kerala. This is also the main road at the moment as the road through Makkuta to Kerala is closed as the roads were horrible.

The second road is used by trucks as its more straight and this is the road where i live on.

Last couple of years no work has been done on this road and there was a time public put in money to get its potholes covered. Well this is true

So there was a protest over the condition and this was a way to show the state of the roads. More on it in the link given below.
A Road Cum Swimming Pool!-road.jpg

Also read the local paper Shakthi Daily Online

This has some details on the protest. Will try get pics on the condition of the road

Mods Please move it to Appropriate section as i felt Offroad made sense
Old 13th November 2009, 12:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

ayooooo thanks maddy for the tips. We were planning for a coorg trip next month. So i think it has to wait for another 3-4 months. really thank you for the same
Old 13th November 2009, 12:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

shishir: well buddy we waited years man. 3 months aint going to change things much other than the weather probable:-)
Old 13th November 2009, 12:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
2 roads leading to kutta
Gonikoppa->Ponnampet->Hudikeri->Srimangala->Kutta
Gonikoppa->Ponnampet->Kanoor->Nalkeri->Kutta
Yikes! Exactly 30 years back I used to live on this road and it was in good shape in every season. At this rate there will be no roads at all in the next 30 years.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:55   #5
BHPian

Thank You for sharing this Important Information with all of us.

I was also supposed to come to Kerala for a Vacation. I will not be going now.

Our Saviour.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well guys. A gentle reminder.
Please dont cancel plans. The roads to kerala are in good shape if you took the mysore kerala route through Murkal

The roads in south coorg are in bad condition and was in bad condition but is motorable. Its bad but bearable. So if you plan on visiting do so but just keep sometime for travel

@samurai: Well so very true. With every succesive governments we vote with a hope but the letdown just gets bigger.

I remember that the PWD department had a set of people whose main job throughout the year was to dig drainages. This actually worked and these guys did some amount of a fair job. Now its common to see private individuals sending out their farm workers to dig trenches so that water doesnt stand on the road and all from their pockets.
Was driving on the hudikeri road sometime back and there were some stretches where you had to look out for tar. This is supposed to be a state highway or something! Am sitting couple of 1000 miles away and am disgusted. Just imagine the plight of a daily road user or the worse case a Tourist of this place. Leaves a very bad impression on them and lotsa abuses too

Just some more info on the protest. But nothing as interesting as the guy swimming
Public block roads in South Kodagu

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th November 2009 at 14:02.
Old 13th November 2009, 14:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Travelled 3 months back in this route, It was in pathetic condition at that time .
Old 13th November 2009, 15:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think these roads only matter for 4 wheelers . I dint feel much when visited 2 months back at this strech , on 2 wheeler .
Old 13th November 2009, 15:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

It is pathetic!

Why don't the local people get hold of their MLA & MP & hold them accountable?
Old 13th November 2009, 15:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

If the local government has any shame, they should chlorinate the water. Swimming in such water can be hazardous.
Old 13th November 2009, 20:52   #11
BHPian

A very unique method of protesting, I must say. Hope the concerned authorities get the point the gentleman is trying to put across
Old 13th November 2009, 23:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If the local government has any shame, they should chlorinate the water. Swimming in such water can be hazardous.

Well the govt gives the best excuse always. Less funds!
Old 16th November 2009, 05:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

An Update

Next line of protests
Quote:
Bad roads, unattended by officials even after the monsoon is exploding the patience of the citizens and protests are being conducted in various places.

Life came to a standstill on 12th as main roads in south Kodagu were blocked by residents who invited the attention of MP Vishwanath, MLC M.C.Nanaiah and other representatives and officials.

Another protest was held at Kadanga by blocking the road on the same day. Planers, auto and vehicle drivers and owners from around Virajpet staged a protest.

Yesterday, villagers of Paragatageri staged a protest at Paragatageri, bordering Virajpet. Men and women squatted on the road and shouted slogans against the district administration. The protestors led by A.B.Appanna, Ponnappa and others complained that about six kilometers road has not seen repair since eight years and another six kilometers was done for name sake few years ago. It is also in dilapidated condition.
An Update of what is promised

Quote:
Member of the Parliament H.Vishwanath also informed that the dilapidated roads at Kutta and kanur would be repaired at a cost of rupees ten crore and a sanction of rupees seventeen crore would be sought from center also for the roads.
Sadly this is what the elected representatives say!!! We are given promises every year and now when we are frustrated we expect the MLA's atleast to be on our side but this statement disappointed me.

Quote:
Deputy Speaker K.G.Bopaiah arrived at the spot with PWD assistant engineer Satyanarayan and assured to take up repair wok after December if the rainfall stops. He regretted that the villagers were protesting even after the road work was sanctioned. Protestors said that so far nobody was bother to inform them about the development even after they had informed them about the protest.

Hope these promises are kept

Source: Shakthi Daily
Old 16th November 2009, 21:47   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is pathetic!

Why don't the local people get hold of their MLA & MP & hold them accountable?
That's where selfish attitude of Indians come in. It's someone else's problem for everybody. Unity for a noble cause is a long forgotten concept.
Have a cricket match, 1 lakh people will get together. Ask them to take things to local MLA/ MP, they'd sit back and curse.

I tried educating people in my locality at hometown to get together and take it to corporator to build proper road (which has vanished since last 2 years). I go there once or twice a year for 3 - 4 days. I'm the only one who urges people to get together. Others are happy sitting at home, watching cable tv and abusing politicians.

Most Viewed