Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 21:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Unless someone gives a proper scientific reason for not doing so.
It is because of the cell phone battery, which is prone to explosions I believe. Google uncle says it is static electricity.
Read more here snopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump
Old 16th November 2009, 10:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thats a bad experience especially when on hiway, i make sure i cleary tell the petrol attendant "normal PETROL" couple of times and also have a "Petrol" sticker on the lid.
Old 16th November 2009, 16:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
It is because of the cell phone battery, which is prone to explosions I believe. Google uncle says it is static electricity.
Read more here snopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump
Arre yaar static energy is in the hair on our head also. does that mean we should not use our head at a petrol station? That article just tries to blow away the myth related to cellphones causing fires.
Old 16th November 2009, 16:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have been paranoid about wrong fuel being pumped since diesel cars got popular, regardless of the kind of engine my car has had, and I am still very careful that the right nozzle goes into the filler pipe. And double check that it has by seeing the rate on the lcd window below the liter counter! Reading this redoubles my commitment to keep doing so!
OT for Cougar or any other Gypsy owner from Pune - is there a good Gypsy mech/garage in Pune and if so, the contacts please? My car will soon move away from the tender care of sales dealer, so it would help to know where I can take it for both routine service and the occassional body work/mods.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:11   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I have seen the same warnings in Australia. However, I guess you can take the call - proper scientific reason does not exist

@mmjgm: I understand your concern as a pump owner. I am not encouraging people to use their cell phones in petrol pumps, unless they have an important call. I would strongly recommend you to try and watch the Myth Busters episode where this was tested. The guys seriously put a mobile phone inside a glass enclosure, saturated with fumes (way way higher that what you would find in a pump) and then called, made calls, received calls everything from that phone. No BOOM

As is their wont, they actually set off a spark inside the enclosure to get that BOOM.

Rajan
+1 patch boy. I've seen those in US gas stations as well. Here's what FCC has to state about cell phone usage in petrol pumps.

Wireless Phones at Gas Stations

The last two lines are what I'd go with.
"Wireless phone manufacturers and fuel companies have issued these warnings as a precaution. If you have questions about your wireless phone, contact your wireless phone company. "

So let them do their bits in analysing, till then, I'd follow the precaution and not pick up calls in a pump. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, I take my eyes off the reading for one second, I'd be cheated by the unscrupulous pump guys!
Old 16th November 2009, 19:15   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

And Ericsson has this to state.

http://www.ericsson.com/ericsson/cor...olStations.pdf

So request members to oblige and and obey the warnings.
Old 16th November 2009, 21:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the rule about not using cellphones at petrol pumps is absolute rubbish. Total hogwah. Giant dose of excreta. You get my point, right?
Usage of cellphones IS banned in petrol pumps in India by order of the Ministry of Petroleum, since 2002. Read here: India Bans Cellphones at Petrol Pumps.
Quote:
Unless someone gives a proper scientific reason for not doing so.
Since when did the Ministries in this country start looking for scientific reasons to do something?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th November 2009 at 21:14.
Old 16th November 2009, 21:36   #38
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Usage of cellphones IS banned in petrol pumps in India by order of the Ministry of Petroleum, since 2002. Read here: India Bans Cellphones at Petrol Pumps.

Since when did the Ministries in this country start looking for scientific reasons to do something?
Since when did indians start adhering to rules? that's the sad part. Except for self motivated like minded people like fellow t-bhpians, no one cares a damn for rules.

And many ministries need to adhere to scientific reasons and standards and implement it as a part of requirements from various international bodies. Bribes, beauracracy, red-tapism, nepotism and a various other isms have prevented the end result from showing. But then, there's pressure from various quarters!
Old 17th November 2009, 11:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Since when did indians start adhering to rules? that's the sad part. Except for self motivated like minded people like fellow t-bhpians, no one cares a damn for rules.
Waah. Indian ministery never ceases to amaze me.

IF(and thats a huge IF) there is a risk of cellphone usage at petrol pumps, then it should be SWITCHED OFF. What i refuse to accept is that its ok to keep it on, but not ok to talk on the phone. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Its nothing but paranoia when people start believing that cellphones can cause EMIs !! Yeah right, there is a tinny nuclear bomb in my cellphone that goes *poof* everytime i get a call.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:39   #40
BHPian

Amitoj Praji,

Just don't talk on the phone while filling gas near a dispenser. That's very simple.

Leave alone the government, leave alone the petro companies.

It's that the dispenser manufacturers - L&T, Scoumi and others state that mobiles should not be used in the vicinity of the dispensers.

Again, if you notice the regular urban pump, there are people walking past the pump on the footpath talking on cell phones, this is okay. No issues, just not in the range of 1-2 metres of the dispenser.

And yes, the EMI will mess with the electronics, not to the effect of blowing things up but yes, it will over/under calculate the fuel going into the tank.

Also there's data being transmitted back to the servers - at the pump - in some cases where a pump owner has connected his stations to have a monitoring system.

Last but not the least, the poor initiator of this thread suffered as he had to take the call and had so much diesel pumped into his gypsy as he was busy talking on the phone and not concentrating at a pump.

Hope it helps.
Old 17th November 2009, 19:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Amitoj Praji,

Just don't talk on the phone while filling gas near a dispenser. That's very simple.
Ok brother, since you insist so nicely.
but will you give me a discount if i promise not to ?
(Dont worry, i am never in mumbai and like i said earlier, i hardly get a call, not even telemarketers!)
Old 17th November 2009, 22:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Ok brother, since you insist so nicely.
but will you give me a discount if i promise not to ?
(Dont worry, i am never in mumbai and like i said earlier, i hardly get a call, not even telemarketers!)
Most welcome to Mumbai, our pump is not in Mumbai.

Please get Sarthak Behuria's letter authorizing us to give you a discount.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks