Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 14:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
There was a kid, hardly 8 - 9 years old sitting on papa's lap and holding the steering all alone.

Read in the Hindu today, an 8 year old boy was encouraged to drive a cra at high speed on the Madurai - Batlagundu NH road by his school as a sort of a feat. The school authorities have been only "Warned".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Just the gramatical error- it's 18 and not 16, the legal age for driving in India.
Hey, its not a grammatical error, it's a numerical one.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:01   #32
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@esteem_lover
Why don't we read things like schools encouraging 8 year old kids to take up higher studies earlier and create records like youngest to pass 12th, youngest to get a 100 in maths etc. Teachers who are supposed to create awareness do rubbish things like this. Sad.
Old 19th November 2009, 01:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't we read things like schools encouraging 8 year old kids to take up higher studies earlier and create records like youngest to pass 12th, youngest to get a 100 in maths etc.
I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend those either. It only leads to unhealthy competition. The driving force is rarely the children's desire to excel -- it's usually the result of overambitious parents on a massive ego-trip. On a related note, does anyone remember this startling news that hit the headlines a couple of years ago? I must say I'd rather have 15-year-olds driving cars than performing caesarean operations!
Old 19th November 2009, 12:41   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend those either. It only leads to unhealthy competition. The driving force is rarely the children's desire to excel -- it's usually the result of overambitious parents on a massive ego-trip. On a related note, does anyone remember this startling news that hit the headlines a couple of years ago? I must say I'd rather have 15-year-olds driving cars than performing caesarean operations!
Yeah. That's a good perspective you throw up. Guess we should stick to age limits. like 18 is minimum marriage age for women (courtesy auto drivers and autos)
Old 19th November 2009, 13:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

I met one of those lovely kids of these irresponsible parents today. Two guys on a bike stopped bang in the middle of the road blocking me. I thought the vehicle stalled or something, so when there was no traffic from the opposite side, too right most and drove.

And what do I see, the guy on the bike is texting on his mobile!!!
Old 19th November 2009, 16:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Have other members seen crappy things like this where parents pamper and spoil kids and give them freedom to flout road rules? Request members to share such things.
This is something that makes my blood boil. A few years ago on a trip to Mulshi I saw a Swift going in the opposite direction with a child handling the steering wheel sitting on the lap of his loving (and moronic) father.
It was an empty piece of road but there are some things which just should not be done. Like handling a child < 16 yrs a car's steering wheel. These people should be ashamed of calling themselves educated citizens. Just like the ones I recently saw on a Mahabaleshwar trip who threw a couple of plastic bags out of their fancy Skoda car window which went right into my car's front grille.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Pal, you should have stopped & pulled that irresponsible father over & gave him some gyan on Road discipline!
Most of the times(not necessarily regarding this scenario), the typical response is, "What's your prob? Mind your business and get going". You can't argue much with people like these. They think violating rules is their birth right. And some do it for sadistic pleasure.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on the news today morning..
HC raps school for child driving: India : India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:52   #39
BHPian

Saw the story of the 8 year old behind the wheel with the view of "making a world record". I think that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. If you actually think that you can bend the rules if your aim is to make a world record. Needless to say the parents. The article says that school authorities pushed the class 4 student to go 120kmph.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Tirunelveli tales

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
started keeping it after hearing an experience from my friend who had a hassle on NDA road while he was sitting in his car with his GF. he thrashed 2-3 guys with the hockey stick who were trying to play foul with him.

against armed men, yes no way. then you have to start keeping guns with you. but yet such level hasnt yet come in pune.
This reminds me of the times about 20 years back when my uncles used to drive with sickles under the seat and petrol bottles in the boot. In ambys.
Later it tamed down to sticks and nowadays the only weapon they carry is the cell phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks