Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 12:23   #16
BHPian

I think there are two parts to what we are discussing
  1. We as Indians might not have the best of public conduct - Ideally this should have nothing to do with the fact that as a tax paying citizen, one is entitled to certain facilities. I might have a dirty habit to spit on the road but that doesnt imply that because I do spit, I should be always provided with a broken road by the administration.
  2. Is the administration really doing its job and is it accountable? - This is my main point in this thread. I am not talking of any remote village of a poor nation here. I am talking of an area ( the so called posh one ) of capital of a country which believes itself to be a global power and wants to compete with the best in business. If I cannot even see the transformation towards improvement there, it somewhere lets me to believe that the things are not moving in the right direction
Frustration is just one part of it, its more of a concern that at this pace we might still be a developing nation only even 100 years down the line.

I have a belief that in every field of work, there is some engineering involved - be it laying down a road, the design of it, stuff as simple as installation of a street light etc. In spite of the country overflowing with engineering talent, none of it gets utilized; with the process being under control of some bureaucrat where consideration is paid only to the objective of a work but not on how it should get executed in the right fashion

As I mentioned earlier, I would not like to resign to the situation for this case. I might not be able to do much here but at least what I am planning here is to
  • Update the thread with information on what all bottlenecks ( traffic/rain water accumulation ) that I am aware of
  • Possible reason for the same IMHO
  • Possible solution for the same IMHO
Since we are talking of Delhi/NCR here, I would even encourage the fellow members from the area to contribute.

If we really build up some good content and pointers to the right problems, I have a hope that if we forward the information to the right channel, some action could possibly happen.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

The traffic situation in the area where I reside is pathetic - but I cannot do a thing. Want to know why?

The good:
Roads are wide and divided into one way flows.
Roads are illuminated by mercury vapor lamps.

The bad:
On the main turn signal from a national highway to an important link road:
1/5 th road -> hawkers (unionized)
1/5 th road - > autos (even more unionized and arrogant)
1/5 th road -> cyclevans ferrying passengers (this is probably the only place in the world - look up madhyamgram in wikipedia - BIG unions - BIG votebank)
1/5th road -> pedestrians (they have no where to go as there are no proper footpaths and roadsides are captured by auto/cyclevans/hawkers)
That leaves 1/5th of the road for trucks/car/buses - and invariably there is a problem every other minute.

the ugly;
Nothing can be done as all the miscreants are under political patronage - ruling and opposition party alike.
Traffic police are always there 3-4 in number - but they are mute spectators

Last edited by blackasta : 20th November 2009 at 12:42.
Old 21st November 2009, 21:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thank God they only got the measly Commonwealth games which are ovelooked by most the world apart from a handful of countries.

Things will not change, they will somehow get things good for the games by using temporary measures and as soon as the games are finished it will be back to the usual chaos.
Old 25th September 2010, 22:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the paper headlines about the state of affairs for the past couple of weeks, I am ashamed. A bunch of corrupt politicos and babus have made us the laughing stock of the world. My head is bowed with shame, and I don't believe any amount of firefighting, lobbying and platitudes will recover our tarnished image.

Having bamboozled money left,right and centre, can't our netas at least ensure to deliver world class infrastructure? Contrast this with China's handing over of Asiad venues well ahead of time. And how they conducted the Olympics. Will we ever host the olympics? Not for another 100 years, I bet.

Here, the chief minister of Delhi mutters that the collapsed bridge was meant "only" for the aam admi and not for players! And another minister whines that perceptions can differ about hygiene. God, what a bunch of jokers!

And committees will be formed to investigate the bungling, will drag on for years and die a quite death. Because "we are like that only"
Old 26th September 2010, 00:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Seeing the paper headlines about the state of affairs for the past couple of weeks, I am ashamed. A bunch of corrupt politicos and babus have made us the laughing stock of the world. My head is bowed with shame, and I don't believe any amount of firefighting, lobbying and platitudes will recover our tarnished image.

Having bamboozled money left,right and centre, can't our netas at least ensure to deliver world class infrastructure? Contrast this with China's handing over of Asiad venues well ahead of time. And how they conducted the Olympics. Will we ever host the olympics? Not for another 100 years, I bet.

Here, the chief minister of Delhi mutters that the collapsed bridge was meant "only" for the aam admi and not for players! And another minister whines that perceptions can differ about hygiene. God, what a bunch of jokers!

And committees will be formed to investigate the bungling, will drag on for years and die a quite death. Because "we are like that only"
+1 to this. This has really bowed our heads down with shame in front of the world.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Don't worry, they will get elected again.
Because with the monies they have made - they will be able to successfully woo the poor (who are in majority), and the poor-brained (who are in an even greater majority - and are not necessarily the same as "poor").

And you, the honest election candidate will lose yet again.

Lets face it - India is in a mess because our public deserves it.
Because the common man secretly wants it, nay DESIRES it.

You are not a part of the common man, unfortunately, and hence get frustrated.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

I always get worked up when I see the corruption in India.
And I still vent my anger on it. But I have looked further and read more in last few days thanks to CWG.

Someone said that closer to the truth you are simpler things are to understand.
Now this may sound silly but its profound truth. Stay with me on this one guys.
Have you ever seen/observed a bunch of monkeys? Or for that matter a herd of animals?
There is a dominant male who gets all the goodies. And then there are others who wait and watch for their turn. And there is no concept of justice. The big one eats, sleeps, bullies, beats, ..... , pushes other around. You can relate to it if you have seen bunch of monkeys.
Now thats not fair. Accountibility anyone? Its injustice to the fellow monkeys he is leader of and so on.

But here we stop thinking. If we see further then we find that If any other monkey gets to that position, he will also do the pretty much the same thing. Got it guys? He will do the pretty much the same thing.

And thats the truth my friends. Monkeys and Men are evil.

Lets not shed tears or get stressed on the suffering millions in this/any country. Rest assured that if they made it to position of power, they will swoop down on the downtrodden with twice the intensity of corruption we are seeing now.

Dont still get it?
Take for example some of our politicians. Most of them have humble/poor background. But did they think of the poor people once they came to power? No my friends. NO.

Lets take example of IAS officers. How many of them are from rich families? All I know are from middle/lower middle class who have faced the harassment which all of us face e.g bribe, bad roads, corruption etc etc. And these guys are well educated also.
But when they become collectors, they only collected crores. Poor people anyone? Aam Aadmi anyone?

Did you say that their pay is less and hence they are corrupt? Look further my friends. The heads of Investment Banks were paid like kings and still they did what they did. And when they got fired they collected millions as serverence pay.

I can go on like this forever. But then you already know the truth by now. There are only two kinds people. Powerful and powerless. And you decide where you want to stand. Forget rules and justice and fairness etc etc. They are created to soothe and fool the powerless.

So dear OP , please if you ever get worked up on corruption, remember the monkeys.
Stay close to the truth.

Now back to work.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:13   #23
BHPian

Dude, trust me you are facing nothing at all.

Last weekend it rained in Bangalore and ask the Bangaloreans

There was smoke coming out of bonnets and waves or water reaching till the windscreen near koromangla (heart of the city). This happens when it rains for 2-3 hours continuously. Imagine what would happen if it rained here like Delhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks