Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 13:54   #1
BHPian

A frustrated Delhi Citizen

There is daily talk of how Delhi is going to turn in to a world class city before the common wealth games. A lot of money is being pumped in to development of infrastructure including roads and flyovers. Introduction of low floor buses, expansion of metro and push towards CNG have all been steps in the positive direction and are yielding good results as well. However this is one flashy face of the city which I think still has its own set of problems which no one seems to be there to address.

Yes I studied in a good university, have a good income, can afford a nice car and enjoy some luxuries of life but
  • Is that all that I need to be content with?
  • Has the government done enough for me?
  • How am I going to be benefited by the Common Wealth games as an a common man/citizen of Delhi?
OK - Why am I getting all this philosophical? Is it just some frustration within me OR am I speaking sense?

The reason goes as follows - This is what I saw today and all of the above thoughts cross my mind.

I have been living in South Delhi for past 10 years and typically have been using pretty much the same route for every day commute. In those past 10 years, I know for a matter of fact that whenever it rains, water will get accumulated at the beginning of Chirag Delhi flyover while coming from CR Park and going towards Panchsheel. Every time it has rained, this has happened without fail

Yesterday night also it rained and today morning while I am crossing the flyover from the opposite direction - guess what do I see. Again the same jam extending till 3-4 Kms because of water accumulation at the beginning of that flyover. Some cars stuck in water, others honking and trying to move on from the area where water accumulation level is slightly low.

Notice the place corresponding to the red dot on the map

A frustrated Delhi Citizen-cd.jpg
  1. What wrong has a commuter done who is going in that direction?
  2. Why is he suffering and that too because of none of his mistake?
  3. Who is responsible for he getting late and may be because of the same driving fast later to make up for it?
We do all the right things all the time , try to be on the right side of the law, pay our taxes on time and do our best to abide all rules and regulations
  • Is there anything wrong in expecting something in return?
  • This is a very small example - When I as a citizen of that area know that water accumulates there every time, don't the authorities know?
  • Cant they put something in place to resolve the problem?
  • If they cannot solve the drainage issue - cant they install a pump which can throw the water out from the road to elsewhere?
I know the next time its going to rain, the story is going to repeat itself but I just feel helpless wrt the situation.

We are talking of world class city here, and a decent one hour of rainfall is good enough to bring this city on its knees creating water logging and traffic jams everywhere.

I understand there are numerous problems and a combination of them leading to this situation but are we moving forward and heading towards a solution. At least I don't seem to be witnessing that change

Another link indicating the same situation Delhi has another manic day as heavy rain lash Delhi

Anyways - feeling light after typing this out...
Old 17th November 2009, 14:24   #2
BHPian

I guess you are quite frustrated and also quite stressed. Everyone on this forum can vouch that is very much the same situation in all Indian cities. Delhi is no exception.

This directly points lack of accountability and unless we get every stakeholder accountable, we cannot make a difference in spite of sinking in billions of dollars in infrastructure.

People have to change, politicians have to change, bureaucrats have to change and all of us have to look at the big picture, take the best practices from all over the world and ensure that we build livable cities and provide decent infrastructure to all citizens.

Here is my advise, please stop bothering much about it and ensure that you aren't putting much stress on yourself. Take it easy as there isn't any easy solution for this.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get over it. Life has never been perfect and never will be.

All we can do is to carpool or shift to buses (if clean/AC/company). Else we bear it.

All such threads/thoughts typically end up in one place. Nowhere.
/who posted another such thread!
Old 17th November 2009, 15:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Get over it. Life has never been perfect and never will be.

All we can do is to carpool or shift to buses (if clean/AC/company). Else we bear it.

All such threads/thoughts typically end up in one place. Nowhere.
/who posted another such thread!
+1 to that. IMHO this is the most practical advice in current context. Sad but true.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:42   #5
BHPian

I understand that there can be little that can be done.
I am just wondering if there is still some possibility - I have just listed one example, there are numerous others. What if the information is aggregated ( I can do that ) and sent to TOI requesting them to publish it as an article. If the problem is in the interest of the common man - I believe they will do it.

In South Delhi Plus edition also they have some article like <EYES WIDE SHUT> where they publish picture of some area in Delhi having a problem eg an open manhole in some locality and typically I have seen in next edition, they publish the picture from the same area but now with the problem rectified by the authorities.

Just feel that something like that might be better than resigning to one's fate.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:59   #6
BHPian

svaid, this is the reality and this is the way it is. You need to stop getting so worked up in life because of these issues which will never go. If this water logging goes away, it will be somewhere else on some other point. You can't let these things bog you down. See the good things that Delhi gives you and forget the promises govt makes. These problems are everywhere and thinking about them is stressful. The less you bother, the better.

Pune had commonwealth youth games, the city was shining for a week and even the traffic and the people on the road were awesomely behaved. It was back to square one in 10 days flat. Roads being dug again, the planted plants all washed away, broken footpaths etc. The problem is that the majority of Indians don't mind this. The junta accepts this and finds it okay. Not many people see english movies which is where we all see the world standards and get disappointed. 99% of india does not. We live among that 99% and we have to live like them. Don't expect too much because you will be disappointed.

Ever wondered why all Indians are clubbed away together separately from all western and other tourists on for example a cruise ship in Malaysia or Singapore? Even the food is served on a different side. We are noisy, spilling something wet all the time everywhere and overall a difficult tribe to live with. We are like that!! Roads are just a part of this mentality. So are ill-fitting seat covers which we think are great to look at and so are the Chinese look-alikes of various touch phones, we buy them thinking they are the real ones. We put beige interiors in small cars like Spark and WagonR thinking it makes them look as luxurious as a Mercedes but then who are they fooling. Everything is just very disappointing all around.

So look at the good things instead.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yaar, that's all complete hogwash.

Come to Gurgaon - It is the public which has been seeing the construction of concrete roads as much as 10" thick constructed, without a semblance of drainage. Come rains, things become chaotic and it disintegrates. We have seen the same drama for eons.

The public has been seeing the stupid bureaucrats letting the fraudulent contractors make horrible roads with nary a care for drainage, camber or finish. The newspapers only help in the case of public safety issues. See DG expressway. It has been maintained impeccably because it is in the operator's interest to maximize its life and keep it serviceable.

The old adage - pay peanuts and bribes, get monkeys applies.

My personal life would've been hell minus the gurgaon expressway. I thank HUDA/PWD for NOT doing it themselves and letting NHAI concession it out every time I gladly pay the toll!
Old 17th November 2009, 16:27   #8
BHPian

Accountability in India is like a big big dream. We the biggest democracy in the world have no democracy at all. Infact I would go to the extent that we would have been better with the British rule or may be the China way.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
I understand that there can be little that can be done.
I am just wondering if there is still some possibility - I have just listed one example, there are numerous others.

In South Delhi Plus edition also they have some article like <EYES WIDE SHUT> where they publish picture of some area in Delhi having a problem eg an open manhole in some locality and typically I have seen in next edition, they publish the picture from the same area but now with the problem rectified by the authorities.
I support your view svaid. The only decision we need to take is - are YOU okay with such condition. If yes - then just forget and get ahead with life as few others have opined.

If no - then you MUST ACT !

I dont want to be preacher. You know what needs to be done. (media, govt websites, grievance cell, complaint boxes etc etc.) Dont worry whether its small or big. But ACT.

In my work place we had problem of sewage pipe getting leaked every rainy season. I complained to authorities thru their website. Nothing happened for a month. I again complained. Nothing happened.
One year over, another rainy season. Its been 6 months since monsoon. No leaks upto now. Was it a success ?? or a coincidence ?? I dont know. Neither I want to prove anything.

But to ACT is our duty. If officer doesnt take any actions, its his inefficiency. NEVER join his lot.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Ever wondered why all Indians are clubbed away together separately from all western and other tourists on for example a cruise ship in Malaysia or Singapore? Even the food is served on a different side. We are noisy, spilling something wet all the time everywhere and overall a difficult tribe to live with. We are like that!! Roads are just a part of this mentality. So are ill-fitting seat covers which we think are great to look at and so are the Chinese look-alikes of various touch phones, we buy them thinking they are the real ones. We put beige interiors in small cars like Spark and WagonR thinking it makes them look as luxurious as a Mercedes but then who are they fooling.
ROTFL - What you said was humorous; but at the same time food for some deep thought. Kind of bitter truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
If no - then you MUST ACT !
But to ACT is our duty. If officer doesnt take any actions, its his inefficiency. NEVER join his lot.
Beautifully said - Really appreciate.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
....The only decision we need to take is - are YOU okay with such condition. If yes - then just forget and get ahead with life as few others have opined. If no - then you MUST ACT !....Dont worry whether its small or big. But ACT......
Well said, anoopap.

Have seen other threads started to express frustration with certain issues and many have replies like in this one, asking the starter to accept the problem and not let it affect him. If everyone just accepts problems, who will solve them?

svaid, it is often a good thing if someone points out a problem and shows his concern, like you did. He may not always be able to do anything about it ultimately, but the more people there are who get concerned about it, the better chance that something will be done.

Last edited by straightdrive : 19th November 2009 at 16:32.
Old 20th November 2009, 02:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post

Ever wondered why all Indians are clubbed away together separately from all western and other tourists on for example a cruise ship in Malaysia or Singapore? Even the food is served on a different side. We are noisy, spilling something wet all the time everywhere and overall a difficult tribe to live with. We are like that!! Roads are just a part of this mentality. So are ill-fitting seat covers which we think are great to look at and so are the Chinese look-alikes of various touch phones, we buy them thinking they are the real ones. We put beige interiors in small cars like Spark and WagonR thinking it makes them look as luxurious as a Mercedes but then who are they fooling. Everything is just very disappointing all around.

So look at the good things instead.
You cannot put this up better than this. you can feel this very much when you travel abroad. We get frustrated by the way they treat us but we indians act to the way they comment about us. I read an article a while ago where indian tourists are rated as the worst.
Old 20th November 2009, 07:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Infact I would go to the extent that we would have been better with the British rule or may be the China way.
That echoes my thought!
Gradually I am becoming rather insensitive to such things as the ones that made our fellow BHPian stressed.
Collectively every community get the Government they deserve (or rather deserve the Government they get!) but still can't help vent my
Old 20th November 2009, 07:55   #14
BHPian

@Svaid: Answere to your question is "INDIANISM". There is an educated bunch of citizens (lets call it Minority) who want their tax money to be spent on where it is supposted to be spent. This minority raise its voice on a forum like this where word can be spread across quickly and effectively. Then there's another lot of citizens, educated off-course (& call this one Majority) who have either had enough of govt./politics/bureaucracy or have learnt to live with whatevercomes their way. In almost every case majority believes minority is just a bunch of perfectionists and living in their own world, asking for a dreamland. I believe nothing can be achieved until Majority group learns to ask for its rights rather than just having a 'shrug off' attitude and suggesting Minority to accept things as they are.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
You cannot put this up better than this. you can feel this very much when you travel abroad. We get frustrated by the way they treat us but we indians act to the way they comment about us. I read an article a while ago where indian tourists are rated as the worst.
Yes they are!

I watched in horror while waiting for a ferry to liberty island in battery park (New York) while a group of tourists sat down down, had their home cooked lunch (I do not have a problem till now..) and rinsed their hand and mouth inside the musical fountain!!
By lord - children were playing inside the fountain area (its a type of fountain where there is no boundary, just water sprouting out of faucets in tiles)
A frustrated Delhi Citizen-joh270808_img01.jpg
This is a picture of the fountain taken from internet sources.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks