Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 23:41   #1
BHPian

Outsourced Traffic Police!

India is a country that has made a reputation internationally for outsourcing. Corporates, especially in the developed outsource processes, research, back-office work and ofcourse IT infrastructure and software development. Even Indian corporates are doing this.

But what takes the cake is the Mumbai Traffic Police outsourcing traffic duties!

On my regular route to office at one particular junction which sees lots of traffic but no signal, I have been seeing a traffic policeman trying to regulate the flow of vehicles.

A month ago, I noticed that someone else is now helping him. Someone who is dressed almost like my building security guard. A closer look at his shirt and I saw the name of a local security agency.

Since the last 2 days, i've seen only the guard on duty at the junction. Nobody bothers about what he says and so there's a royal jam everyday

My questions on this:-

1) Is this legal? Can police request another private agency to act in their stead?

2) What kind of legal might can these guards impose on law breakers?

3) Forget the legality of this, isn't it taking outsourcing to a new, absurd level? I mean the next step will be to outsource the police dept. itself!

4) Does this happen in other cities as well?

Mods: I didn't find any thread on this topic, so starting one. Please do merge if there is indeed such a thread.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:16   #2
BHPian

From 2006-2007 Kolkata police started to avail the service of "local guys" to regulate the traffic flow in certain busy intersections. I don't know if that system still persists.

From last year, outsourcing of some Traffic police duty was outsourced to private agencies in Abu Dhabi also. As far as I know, from mid next year, in whole of UAE, certain traffic police job will be outsourced.

One thing I find wired is that, Indian constitutes the majority of the population of UAE and here they are so disciplined, so organized, following every rule be it on road or at workplace. But the same people when in India (to be true, this includes me also) find every opportunity to break the rule.

Is it the fear of cane and fine that makes the difference in Indian attitude....
Old 19th November 2009, 00:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
.........My questions on this:-

1) Is this legal? Can police request another private agency to act in their stead?

2) What kind of legal might can these guards impose on law breakers?.......
I don't think the police is restricted from taking the help of private organisations to manage traffic. Have heard of these guys being used on special occasions when high traffic volume is expected on some roads.

These guards cannot impose any penalties of course (which is the reason for most people not bothering about them like you said). They can only help regulate traffic flow to some extent.

Sometimes, when there is higher than normal traffic or if there is a shortage of police manpower for some reason, these people can be useful.
Old 19th November 2009, 03:03   #4
BHPian

It's common in Chennai too. You could see Hyundai Volunteers regulating traffic at Ashok Nagar signal and Kasi Theatre during peak hours.
Likewise, you can spot a short-man in white shirt & khaki pant (pretty similar to a traffic police uniform, but without name badge and stars) regulating traffic near Ambal Nagar, on the way to Guindy.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
It's common in Chennai too.
Very true. Add to the list the NCC students from schools who don this role during peak hours near the busy school zones.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO, I think its a very noble act. As long as they are able to regulate traffic in the right manner there should be no reason for concern.

I have seen some like minded people in Bangalore and they are quite good at it, some are even better than our local cops.
Old 19th November 2009, 14:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
IMO, I think its a very noble act. As long as they are able to regulate traffic in the right manner there should be no reason for concern. I have seen some like minded people in Bangalore and they are quite good at it, some are even better than our local cops.
It probably is a good thing since the police force is falling short of staff, to help in traffic management

And I stress on help. Till the time that the guard was helping the policeman on duty there, I didn't think about it too much. But I got concerned when the guard alone is regulating traffic.

When he is alone and given authority to regulate traffic, its not just helping.

- How much knowledge and training will he have had on traffic rules and regulations?
- Anyway people do not recognize their legal authority and there is a mess, so there is a disconnect in the logic that they can regulate traffic.

If they are so short staffed, why not just recruit the guy and give him a police uniform? Atleast then people will stop when he tells them to stop.

Another example that happened today on my way to work.
I need to take a left at a crossroad. It's not a free left - hasn't been there for years. So I wait for the left turn signal to turn on - like any good driver .

Today also like normal the lights were working. Mine was red so I had stopped in the left lane. There were no other vehicles waiting to take the left turn. Along comes this guard who was manning the lights (saw him first time today) and waves me to go on and take the left.

- There was no big traffic buildup behind me that this was needed
- the lights for the main road coming from right side was green. So there was a lot of traffic on the road I needed to turn into and he was waving me through.
- The lights were red! This guy was telling me to break a traffic rule.

Quote:
Is it the fear of cane and fine that makes the difference in Indian attitude
So sad and so true

Last edited by gomzi : 19th November 2009 at 14:35.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:25   #8
BHPian

Someone in Mumbai is making big time money with the 'outsourcing'

A lot of these are outsourced to 'Tring' Detectives and their people seem to be barely trained, scruffy looking flotsam and jetsam of society definitely not qualified to monitor traffic.

What I have not figured out is if it is the construction companies which are paying them, since a lot of them are near the metro rail, monorail dug out areas or is it the police who is paying them.

There was a 'funny/scary' situation i saw where one of them was trying to make a tata sumo with orange stickers stop and banged on the bonnet, the tata sumo doors opened, few hands came out, grabbed him in and drove off with him.

Sigh...
Old 19th November 2009, 17:32   #9
BHPian

This is quite a common sight in Bangalore too, especially on the Outer Ring Road. But here Traffic Police has not outsourced, but the employees of various software companies along the ORR have together hired them to help police regulate the mad traffic here! And now the case is that these guys are busy regulating the traffic, and the traffic police guy simply sits on the road side waiting to catch someone!
One always finds a mixed breed of traffic guys on the junctions!
Old 19th November 2009, 18:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Someone in Mumbai is making big time money with the 'outsourcing'
you bet!

Quote:
There was a 'funny/scary' situation i saw where one of them was trying to make a tata sumo with orange stickers stop and banged on the bonnet, the tata sumo doors opened, few hands came out, grabbed him in and drove off with him.
Whoa, you are right that is scary and funny!

It sounds like right out of a movie, being bombay, it might actually be right out of a movie Didn't people notice? Nobody screamed/ran after/emptied gun after that sumo? Wonder what happened to the guy...
Old 19th November 2009, 18:31   #11
BHPian

Chennai Traffic Police Outsourcing

IN Chennai the Outsourcing Happens in a different way .

The traffic police catches the persons. If you ask for the fine sheet you pay him or the payment collection is being outsourced to a tea shop or pawn shop nearby .

They frankly say " Andha tea kadaiku poi paisa kuduthitu po " which mean go to the tea shop and pay him and go.

These people get away with everything now a days.
Old 19th November 2009, 21:40   #12
BHPian

Using NCC students is legal and it is part of their training.

Using temporary security guards may not be a good idea until they are properly trained in traffic rules.
But in India anything can happen until people stop that "who cares until i am not hurt" mentality.

I will cite an example where we where in a meeting in UK where during a casual talk, one guy from Pakistan told that he was driving in the country illegally without license.. The other guy who was joking till then seriously told him "if you are driving to office tomorrow or before getting a valid license i will be reporting to the police". I was shocked bcz he was serious.. The next day as he said he went around the car park looking for the car, luckily the other guy did not drive till he got his license...This is the mentality which will grow a country.

Last edited by ksethuram : 19th November 2009 at 21:41.
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:06   #13
BHPian

Locals at Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
From 2006-2007 Kolkata police started to avail the service of "local guys" to regulate the traffic flow in certain busy intersections. I don't know if that system still persists.
The local guys still regulate with utmost enthusiasm, as if they are doing a good job of 'cleaning' their 'para' (the locality).
But I must add that with their ways, they are able to control the traffic better than the single policeman can ever do.

I dont know if its legal / commercial / philanthropic or just a way of showing off their power when there isnt any, these guys do some good work

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks