Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 10:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another accident outside my house

This morning, a gentleman and his daughter were on their Activa. The gentleman was dropping his daughter to school.

He wasnt actually concentrating 100% on the road and when he looked a little ahead, he saw another vehicle at a crossroad waiting to cross. This vehicle was ridden by another guy and he had actually stopped fully. But the guy on the Activa panicked on slammed on the brakes and everyone knows what happened when you do that on an Activa.

He skidded and fell. My dad heard this and ran out. We brought them some water and my dad then offered to take them to a hospital near our house. The other guy who had stopped also offered to help.

This is where the honesty of the injured guy was shown. When my dad asked him whose fault it was and if he wanted to make a note of the other guy's phone number and vehicle number, this injured guy said, "Ayyo, leave him. It wasnt his fault. Why drag him into it?". In today's world where you see people out to make money out of such opportunities, it was a pleasant surprise to see this.

The young girl was also injured. She had a few bruises and open wounds. Her father was definitely worse off. He had some wounds on the side of his face(he was one of those who think that a small cap-like helmet will save him) and his leg seemed to be in bad shape.

My dad took both of them in the car to Deepak Nursing Home. What my dad truly appreciated about Deepak Nursing Home was the fact that everyone, starting from the watchman who actually stopped traffic so that the patient could be unloaded properly from the car, to the doctors inside, everyone's first aim was that the patients are treated.

Of course, being a little too objective, I think this was because they could see that it was relatively minor, no head injuries, etc.... Anyway, all this while, the little girl who was also injured hadnt cried even a little bit. She must have been in major shock. At the hospital, the father couldnt take his shoes off and he didnt let my dad help. His daughter, even though she was injured, took off his shoes.

My dad then left them in the care of the hospital and returned.

A little later, one of their relatives came home to collect their vehicle, their bags, etc which we had kept in out house. As it turns out, he knows my dad! He was extremely grateful to us and thanked us again.

We suspected that the man had broken his right leg, but supposedly the doctors have ruled out a fracture. But he's having a lot of pain in his leg. So, it could be something else then.

My dad told me later than all the while, he was thinking of me 4 years ago. I had met with an accident that time and some people by the side of the road had park my bike, lock it, give me the keys and get me an auto to go home while I had two broken bones and lots of open wounds.

What we really didnt like and we even told this to the relative who came to pick up the vehicles and other stuff was the helmet this guy was wearing. It's ridiculous!! It's like a miner's hat.

Guys, if you or anyone you know wears this flimsy excuse for a helmet while riding a bike, please stop!! It will not protect your head in ANY WAY!
Old 20th November 2009, 10:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It's ridiculous!! It's like a miner's hat.

Guys, if you or anyone you know wears this flimsy excuse for a helmet while riding a bike, please stop!! It will not protect your head in ANY WAY!
.That's more like just to please the cops. Some of them even wear constrution safety caps.

In the event of a collision how is this going to help? Crazy.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

it is indeed refreshing to see honest people.
About the 'miners hat' helmet - this is something I preach to all the people I know, but sadly, people wont listen much until they have an experience...
Old 20th November 2009, 10:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Very valid point Nikhil, i see quite a few people carrying these caps these days. Its absolutely not worth playing with ones life! I personally have tried to convince the beauty conscious guys in office who wears these, coz they feel hair fall will be less!! One guy has changed so far lol

They are flimsy, provides very little protection and can fly off if you land with your head down! Wonder why cops are not cracking on this?? sadest part cops wear these in whites and i think they are the ones who introduced these bi-cycle helmets to this city!

Kudo's to your dad for being a true Bangalorean!
Old 20th November 2009, 11:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very valid point Nikhil, i see quite a few people carrying these caps these days. Its absolutely not worth playing with ones life! They are flimsy, provides very little protection and can fly off if you land with your head down!
These "miner's hat sans torch = bikers hat" are pretty common in Mumbai. these hats have become a common substitue for a HELMET and is worn not for safety reasons but just for sake of mama (traffic policeman). To add to the dare-devilry - these hats have a extra piece of cloth/leather near ears (maybe avoid a gush of wind) - guys put their cellphones between ear and that strap and make cellphones a handsfree device. VERY dangerous !
Old 20th November 2009, 11:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see some good news on bangalore people where everyone are pulling their daggers to kill anyone from banaglroe and its people
Old 20th November 2009, 12:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

You guys are worried about the driver's hat? What about the girl? We do have some stupid laws in our country!
A week ago, I saw a lady skid and fall in her scooter. The helmet although a big one just went flying off into the traffic. They dont bother to tie it up.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th November 2009 at 12:08.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great going on your dads effort! Hats off to him! Not everyday that you get someone, totally unrelated to an incident, helping out.

And also to the gentleman who was just that, a gentleman.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

We have 2 categories of people, one is wearing a helmet out of safety awareness and wont think twice in getting a proper full covering helmet (majority of them wear a helmet even if there is no strict rule), other is having something on the head (right from a construction cap to a filmsy fiber cap) just because there is a traffic rule on helmets. Second category will never learn until they go through a head injury. Infact the pillion rider also should have some protection around the head as we are getting more congested roads.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
That's more like just to please the cops. Some of them even wear constrution safety caps.
OT:Even cops wear the same helmet in Bangalore
Old 20th November 2009, 12:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil,
It was truly heartening to read the way your dad helped the person and his daughter who met with the accident.True bangalorean , i must say.

By the way is the same Deepak Nursing home that is in Jayanagar 7th block(west) is it ?Deepak nursin home sounded very familiar to me when I read it in your post.
Anyways hope th guy and his daughter have recovered fully and from now on he will wear a full helmet.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
.........Infact the pillion rider also should have some protection around the head as we are getting more congested roads.
Actually, the pillion rider is equally at risk in case of a fall whether roads are congested or not. I believe it is compulsory for the pillion as well in a few states.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You guys are worried about the driver's hat? What about the girl? We do have some stupid laws in our country!
A week ago, I saw a lady skid and fall in her scooter. The helmet although a big one just went flying off into the traffic. They dont bother to tie it up.
IIRC, initially it was proposed that even the pillion needs to don a helmet,

However the rule now prescribes only the rider need wear the same.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:01   #14
BHPian

glad that both of them are ok.

so is the common perception that wearing those helmets which look like hats does the job, but it obviously doesn't do.

apart from emphasizing the need for the rider to wear a good sturdy helmet it is as important for a pillion to wear one.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:03   #15
BHPian

:)

Someone accepting his fault is kind of rare these days. I have always done that ( Honestly, have felt stupid after feeling the pinch later on at times, I think I cant change lol ). But when someoneelse does it on me, I am yet to come across a person who owns up or atleast says a sorry. ( I usually get rear ended waiting in a que at signals, Demo cars suddenly reversing into me and things like that! )

Those who value their heads would wear proper helmets! If they don't they should atleast do it for the sake of their loved ones.

What you and your dad did is true T-Bhp spirit!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks