Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2019, 22:57   #196
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginWheels View Post
Hi ankur_shar,

I am not very optimistic about RTIs.

You could get in touch with RTO Agent Mr. Sharif - 9341215530. He is in Bangalore and I have very positive feedback about him from a fellow Bhpian.

Regards
Hey

RTI Worked ! Got my PUC certificate today

Was checking my RC status this evening and was ecstatic to see that the " Record found in more than one RTO" error vanished. Only KR Puram RTO was showing as the registered authority. Immediately took my car to nearest PUC kiosk and got the pollution check done.

Ultimate satisfaction. No bribes, No Agents !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Thanks!
ankur_shar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:50   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 5,033 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Tried a newly opened pollution test center in Sholinganallur (Chennai) just now for my RE Electra. They fleeced me royally and I walked away with some pent up anger.

The certificate says it's a BS IV vehicle, but the norm used to test was BS II. The validity I got was for 6 months only. I got SMSes from the Vahan portal later saying the certificate is issued and that the fees collected as per the record is Rs.30.

The guy made me pay Rs.150! I am right now pondering whether I should tear him apart on Gmaps reviews and ensure that fewer people go there. Or, I could call him up, threaten him and negotiate a cheap test for my cars.
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:07   #198
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 720
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quick question - Does the PUC check get uploaded online? I got it done from the Indian Oil bunk at JP Nagar more than a week back and I am not seeing it yet online here - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...tificate.xhtml

Wondering if it is even mandatory for the PUC guy to upload it? How does it even work?
sumathindra is offline  
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:30   #199
BHPian
 
KrisTvpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 111
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Quick question - Does the PUC check get uploaded online? <snip> not seeing it yet online here - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...tificate.xhtml
Wondering <snip> How does it even work?
AFAIK, for KA vehicles this link works -->http://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ValidationRegno.aspx

Nowadays they insist on seeing the RC card/book, and key in this info online. Hence doubt if any foulplay can be done.
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:19   #200
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 379
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
AFAIK, for KA vehicles this link works -->http://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ValidationRegno.aspx

Nowadays they insist on seeing the RC card/book, and key in this info online. Hence doubt if any foulplay can be done.
Even mine doesnt come up. Even though mine is valid until next month.

Does it make the physical copy invalid?
SideView is offline  
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:08   #201
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 139
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
AFAIK, for KA vehicles this link works -->http://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ValidationRegno.aspx

Nowadays they insist on seeing the RC card/book, and key in this info online. Hence doubt if any foulplay can be done.

Thank you for the KA vehicles link. I am able to see the PUC record which was done on 26th Sep 2019.
AutoInt is offline  
Old 11th October 2019, 12:01   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,442
Thanked: 5,033 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Tried a newly opened pollution test center in Sholinganallur (Chennai) just now for my RE Electra. They fleeced me royally and I walked away with some pent up anger.

The certificate says it's a BS IV vehicle, but the norm used to test was BS II. The validity I got was for 6 months only. I got SMSes from the Vahan portal later saying the certificate is issued and that the fees collected as per the record is Rs.30.

The guy made me pay Rs.150! I am right now pondering whether I should tear him apart on Gmaps reviews and ensure that fewer people go there. Or, I could call him up, threaten him and negotiate a cheap test for my cars.
I tried a different pollution test center for my BS 4 diesel car at an IOCL bunk adjacent to Jeyachandran Textiles, Medavakkam. They gave me a 1 year certificate and charged Rs.300. It was a fair deal. The results were instantly uploaded to Vaahan portal.
locusjag is online now  
Old 11th October 2019, 13:51   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
Mortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,014
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

I had to renew the PUC for my car today in Mumbai. Now the PUC guys test setup is linked to the RTO portal.
Since I have a Free Flow Exhaust installed, my car failed the check. Probably because the testing equipment has been recalibrated to show actual readings !
Is there a solution to this ? I can't reinstall my stock setup as the parts were accidentally disposed of long back. Other than trying another PUC guy who is more open to making adjustments can I try anything else ?
Mortis is offline  
Old 12th October 2019, 10:05   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,034
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I had to renew the PUC for my car today in Mumbai. Now the PUC guys test setup is linked to the RTO portal.
Since I have a Free Flow Exhaust installed, my car failed the check. Probably because the testing equipment has been recalibrated to show actual readings !
Is there a solution to this ? I can't reinstall my stock setup as the parts were accidentally disposed of long back. Other than trying another PUC guy who is more open to making adjustments can I try anything else ?
Finally the RTOs have started controlling the PUC guys following the High Court orders, with online continuous connection to the RTO portal and real time cameras, no scope for giving wrong PUCs! Great progress. And with the new steep fines even two wheelers are queuing up to get the PUC



Generally FF exhaust should not cause PUC fail (I may be wrong here) unless you have removed the catalytic converter and that is really a big NO. If you have removed the catalytic converter then I don't think there is any real chance of passing the PUC. I would suggest you order the parts from the manufacturer and restore the exhaust system.
sandeep108 is offline  
Old 12th October 2019, 14:53   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
Mortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,014
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
:

Generally FF exhaust should not cause PUC fail (I may be wrong here) unless you have removed the catalytic converter and that is really a big NO. If you have removed the catalytic converter then I don't think there is any real chance of passing the PUC. I would suggest you order the parts from the manufacturer and restore the exhaust system.
All Free Flow exhausts will have the catalytic converter removed or a high flow catcon installed in its place otherwise it's not a free flow, it's just a downpipe or endcan without much benefits other than noise. Actually I ended up installing the original silencer back to make it quieter.

Anyways an update : Took the car to another PUC chap with the proper equipment and it passed the PUC with flying colours no questions asked. Pollutants were around half the prescribed limits. So I'm good to go for now.
Mortis is offline  
Old 13th October 2019, 16:26   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,034
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
All Free Flow exhausts will have the catalytic converter removed or a high flow catcon installed in its place otherwise it's not a free flow, it's just a downpipe or endcan without much benefits other than noise. Actually I ended up installing the original silencer back to make it quieter.

Anyways an update : Took the car to another PUC chap with the proper equipment and it passed the PUC with flying colours no questions asked. Pollutants were around half the prescribed limits. So I'm good to go for now.
If you have removed the cat-con, then you are polluting a lot more, after all they are installed for protecting the emissions and the environment. Your car should not pass the PUC. No offense, but probably by 'proper PUC equipment' you mean 'convenient'.


Mods please delete my post if not found useful - I have no intention of getting into any preaching discourses here
sandeep108 is offline  
Old 16th October 2019, 14:25   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
Mortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,014
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
If you have removed the cat-con, then you are polluting a lot more, after all they are installed for protecting the emissions and the environment. Your car should not pass the PUC. No offense, but probably by 'proper PUC equipment' you mean 'convenient'.


Mods please delete my post if not found useful - I have no intention of getting into any preaching discourses here
I'm not entirely sure but a catcon will REDUCE the pollutants and not eliminate them completely. It's quite possible for a car without a catcon to have less than the prescribed pollutant levels. Big engined cars would produce more pollution per litre of fuel and still fall within the limits so as such it's reasonable to assume that my piddly 1.2L petrol engine without a catcon produces around the same level of pollutants as a 5L V8 with a catcon but yet both are within the established limits.
Does my car produce the LEAST amount of pollutants that is possible ? The answer is no it does not. Will I get rid of it ? Not unless I have to. How will I counter my higher car emissions ? By planting trees (I'm well ahead of most people), using public transport, etc and so on. So while my car might be more polluting, as an individual I'm pretty sure my carbon credits are way ahead.

There are also other ways to reduce pollutants at the tailpipe. For example adding acetone to your fuel results in lower emissions. Also the failed test was the anomaly since he wasn't my regular PUC guy near the petrol pump I go to. So far I've passed all PUC tests before this one and the other PUC test center with the same upgraded system also passed it. Let's see what happens when I go to my regular guy after 6 months
Mortis is offline  
Old 20th October 2019, 14:19   #208
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 459
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_shar View Post
Hey

RTI Worked ! Got my PUC certificate today

Was checking my RC status this evening and was ecstatic to see that the " Record found in more than one RTO" error vanished. Only KR Puram RTO was showing as the registered authority. Immediately took my car to nearest PUC kiosk and got the pollution check done.

Ultimate satisfaction. No bribes, No Agents !
Hi I have the same issue with multiple KA RTOs and thus mumbai PUC centers (where I stay now) not allowing the PUC
Can you please guide me in terms how you filed the RTIs?
superutp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:59   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Is there a grace period for new vehicles to get the PUC done? Or should all vehicles irrespective of age on road get the PUC done?
pandey.jai is offline  
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:06   #210
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 53
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Hi
I need to get the PUC done for my SCross and Hexa, both stock versions.
Tried multiple PUC vans and pumps in Bandra / Wadala area, and they all told me that they do not have the machine for diesel.
Any leads on where I could get the PUC done? Happy to travel a bit, if necessary.
Thanks
us.dash
us.dash is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks