Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 21:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon

This whole PUC business, like a lot of other things in this country are a huge scam. It is simply a means to milk and further harass the poor harrowed commuter by the traffic cop and of course to generate income for people who have set up shop with their bogus PUC tests.

Shame on India!
In Delhi/NCR vehicle is a must, as the PUC carries pic of the car with registration plates. One can't avoid not bringing the car.
Old 7th April 2012, 23:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

The worst part is the validity which is only for 3 months. They should atleast increase it to 6 months. What would go wrong in modern cars in such a short span of time. Also the rates have been very conveniently increased from the earlier 40-50 Rs to close to 100 now.
Old 8th April 2012, 01:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The worst part is the validity which is only for 3 months. They should atleast increase it to 6 months. What would go wrong in modern cars in such a short span of time. Also the rates have been very conveniently increased from the earlier 40-50 Rs to close to 100 now.
Its just another big scam, whichever angle you look at it from... and its growing bigger and goes on right under everyone's noses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
In Delhi/NCR vehicle is a must, as the PUC carries pic of the car with registration plates. One can't avoid not bringing the car.
Well, they do have such machines here (in Poona) too. The PUC I did couple years ago has pic with registration plate and the readouts are printed automatically. But such machines form a extremely small percentage of the total. Or is it like all PUC machines are like that in Delhi and NCR?
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 12:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

100% PUC machines in Delhi city/state are like that, NCR region is still on old machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Or is it like all PUC machines are like that in Delhi and NCR?
Old 8th April 2012, 17:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
100% PUC machines in Delhi city/state are like that, NCR region is still on old machines.
Yup, It's mandatory in Delhi PUC certificate to show vehicle registration plates pic. NCR doesn't need that. It costs 45 bucks and is valid for 3 months.
Old 12th June 2012, 16:38   #51
BHPian

Now after Tint Glassess DTP is behind PUC now. I can see big lines at PUC counter which used to be deserted till Sunday. Starting Monday morning and we have big Q at almost every PP in Delhi for PUC. Reason being Rs 1000/- challan.

They haven't given any time to public to get those PUC, but starting Monday 11-June-2012 they started Challans. I remember some time back there was an article in newspaper saying traffice police can't do challan for not having PUC. Not sure, why they are doing this then.
Old 12th June 2012, 20:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

On my recent drive to Bombay, I was stopped at the GJ/MH border and the 'mama' asked for RC+DL+Insurance+PUC. Upon seeing the DL issued PUC with the colour photo of the car c/w number plate his jaw literally hit the floor and he waived me on In comparison the PUC issued in MH is same as the green colored paper that we used to get here ages ago and their PUC is valid for 6 months, costs 60 or 80 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Yup, It's mandatory in Delhi PUC certificate to show vehicle registration plates pic. NCR doesn't need that. It costs 45 bucks and is valid for 3 months.

I think the long queues are reason enough for the crackdown. Nobody wants to comply unless forced to.

I believe the news article you are referring to should be the one which said that one need not carry the requisite vehicle related documents in original and photocopies would do. Also for the first instance of not having a PUC would earn a warning and challan from the second instance.

A word of caution though if planning a highway trip, do carry the originals as the cop on the highway has no inclination of complying with the Hon. SC ruling unless he is forced to, after all he is also a true Bharat mata ka beta just like the rest of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Now after Tint Glassess DTP is behind PUC now. I can see big lines at PUC counter which used to be deserted till Sunday. Starting Monday morning and we have big Q at almost every PP in Delhi for PUC. Reason being Rs 1000/- challan.

They haven't given any time to public to get those PUC, but starting Monday 11-June-2012 they started Challans. I remember some time back there was an article in newspaper saying traffice police can't do challan for not having PUC. Not sure, why they are doing this then.
Old 12th June 2012, 20:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003
They can challan you, some time back Delhi Traffic Police had given ads in papers for the following documents to be carried by person always

1. Original DL
2. Original PUC
3. Copy of RC book
4. Copy of Insurance

I am confused on original vs copy for 1&4.

But I remember it clearly and then got my PUC redone ( had expired for more than 6 months)
Old 12th June 2012, 21:02   #54
BHPian

I just got my PUC done this week.Had got delayed by a month.Completely forgot about it until the cop caught me.Did not fine me but he let me off with a warning.
Got it done immediately after that.Paid 100Rs for it.Readings were suprisingly lesser than the previous readings.Never ever paid much attention to them numbers on the PUC.
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:25   #55
BHPian

Is the PUC of one state valid in another if the car is registered in the 'another' state?

My car is WB registered and am currently in Orissa. I plan for a trip to Kolkata in October and I dont really plan to pay 1500 rupees fine just at the beginning of the pujas for not having a valid PUC(the cops are on the prowl at that time of the year to earn the 'puja bonus')

The west bengal RTO website says the car must have a valid PUC from an authorised centre(obviously an Orissa PUC centre doesnt feature in that list). Then again, the PUC that I have says 'vehicle meets emission standards prescribed by rule 115(2) of Central Motor Vehicle rules,1989....' which I guess is the same throughout India.

So please suggest if am safe(from the fine or the bribe) if I get pulled over by a cop on entering Kolkata armed with my PUC from Bhubaneswar from an Orissa govt. authorised centre (remember the car is registered in West Bengal).

Please advise.
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Why the guess work? AFAIK both Orissa and West Bengal are an integral part of India, so what is valid in one state holds true for the other one too. However, if you do not wish to engage on similar lines with the cops in case you are stopped, then go ahead and spend that 60~80 bucks & be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
The west bengal RTO website says the car must have a valid PUC from an authorised centre(obviously an Orissa PUC centre doesnt feature in that list). Then again, the PUC that I have says 'vehicle meets emission standards prescribed by rule 115(2) of Central Motor Vehicle rules,1989....' which I guess is the same throughout India.

So please suggest if am safe(from the fine or the bribe) if I get pulled over by a cop on entering Kolkata armed with my PUC from Bhubaneswar from an Orissa govt. authorised centre (remember the car is registered in West Bengal).

Please advise.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:01   #57
BHPian

The puc is valid throughout india.there may be variation in validity duration. eg. Puc done in Chandigarh is valid for 6 months whereas the same is valid for 3 months in Delhi.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

A few years back when I migrated from Mumbai to Bangalore I wanted to get my car re-registered in Karnataka by paying the road tax. They insisted on a PUC along with the other regular documents for transfer. When I showed the Mumbai PUC, they insisted on a Karnataka PUC. I did'nt ask questions then, thinking it may be the rule in Karnataka.
AFAIK, PUC certificate in one state should be valid across India. Then why the insistence for a new PUC in the local state, I'm not sure.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:17   #59
BHPian

I seem to have read somewhere that PUC centers should be visually checking if the MIL is on while the engine is running. If so, the PUC check should not be carried out and the vehicle driver told to get that corrected.

I have not see this happen even once in the last few months when I got PUC certificates renewed.

I don't see any good way to enforce this either.
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:52   #60
BHPian

well, i had a lousy time with Hyderabad cops during my recent visit. They caught me seeing the "KA" plate. Asked me to pull out the following,

1) Driving license, i showed them the duplicate, they wanted the original. I showed the original.

2) Car documents. No photo copies accepted.

3) Insurance: I showed the card issued by my insurance company. Not accepted. One constable asked me : Yeh kya ? Card se insurance thodi hota hai !!!! Documents nikal lo !!!

4) PUC: Showed the Karnataka certificate. Wanted the Hyd stuff, i told him , i will not get it done whatsover. I told him i reached Hyd only a day back and leaving the day after. He said that i am lying to him and i am working in a software company in Hyd. I showed him the Toll tickets to prove him and suggested he spoke to my hotel guys to further reconfirm.

After over an hour of hold up, they asked me to pay for the Hyd pollution certificate and i said there is no way that i will do it and finally they let me go. There seems to be some kind of a scam for PUC in Hyd with PUC vehicles parked all over the city.

By the way, why all these atrocities are shown for travellers in different cities, i wonder. If one is not tough, i am sure will be taken for a ride. Crazy it is.

Most Viewed