Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2019, 09:37   #151
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was looking for this point. My Storme is BS-4, the emission certificate states 1 year for BS-4, but the validity dates printed remain as 6 months.
I would suggest you look at the Karnataka RTO PUC website (seems to be down most of the time these days) and search by your vehicle registration number to see what details come up - check if "EMI norms" column mentions BS IV. I'm guessing the testing centre hasn't updated that field correctly so it defaults to 6 months.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2019 at 17:49. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 09:44   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I renewed it in March/April and it's valid for a year again.

I think this guy is taking you for a ride (possibly overriding/editing the expiry date from 1 year down to 6 months).
While I trust the HP COCO bunk, the guy running the emission testing centre isn't trustworthy from my past experience. I have stopped going there for the PUC and instead go to the Indian oil bunk on old Madras road near BDA complex.
Thanks, NPV. I too go to HP COCO bunk (near DRDO township Phase-1) due to the good experiences I've had there for fuel fills.
My Zest(P) will be due for PUC in August (6 months since my February check ). This time I'll try the Indian Oil bunk near BDA complex.
srvm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 12:20   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Today's procedure : Centre will enter your details from RC, will click the number plate pic, will ask for your mobile no., an OTP will be send to that mobile no., entering OTP to system, insert sensor into exhaust, another magnetic sensor to the engine body, a connection to battery's both terminals, Idle RPM check, 2500 RPM Check. If passed, will print and deliver PUC along with a confirmation SMS.
Few more observation here.

I was casually checking my car's detail at https://vahan.nic.in and found that the above mentioned steps at the time of checking PUC is actually linked with central vahan database too.

Here is the screenshot from Vahan website.

PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-vahan.png

Another point to note is that my car had a BS4 sticker on the rear windshield at the time of delivery back in May 2010. But the database states it is BS3. Till March 2013 I was allowed only with 3 months PUC validity. But from then on wards the system at PUC centre was showing my car as BS4 and have been providing 1 year PUC.

So this can be related to the discussion going on at this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4592298 regarding buying BS6 compliant/ready car before April 2020. Central database as well as PUC centre system will only provide certification w.r.t BS4 for the time being and may be for some more time post April 2020 too.

Cheers!

Link to the original post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4560940 (PUC - Pollution Under Control ?)

Last edited by myavu : 29th June 2019 at 12:22.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 16:19   #154
BHPian

In most of the places I have seen, the PUC is issued without any proper testing. I own diesel car, and I always get readings which appear to be 50 times less than the emission limits. Then I realized that for diesel cars the testing is to be carried out at full throttle.
The biggest problem is that the PUC Centres are not audited by anyone. PUC centres are issued permission by the RTO who themselves do not have any equipment to verify the readings shown by the PUC Centres.
Other things that come to my mind are: a) How are vehicles with twin exhaust tested?, b) Do heavy vehicles require PUC Certificates, because I never saw any heavy vehicle being tested nor there is space at most of the PUC Centres to accommodate the bigger vehicles.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 18:43   #155

PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Hello Team,

Subject - PUC renewal in Kolkata for vehicles registered in other states.

I am driving a car in Kolkata which is registered in Karnataka. I have been using the car here since 2017 and have had no issues with any documentation till now. I have avoided the re-registration path due to the notorious hassles and money matters of-course (the car is under finance and loan pending till March 2021) and have been awaiting the 'Unified Vehicle Licence and Registration' process to come into act.

I have been getting the PUC of the car renewed without any questions asked for the last 2 years without any issues., but I am apprehensive about the next PUC renewal (due on 01-Sep-2019) after a recent information I got while visiting a pump for re-fuelling (on the day of writing this post - 10-Aug-2019).

As per a new directive from the West Bengal Motor Vehicles department the PUC testing personnel are looking up for the vehicle information in a website to find the emission details.

They are not able to proceed with the tests, if the vehicle details are not found in the site, and are giving print out of the message "Please contact RTO to update Fuel norms" (please see image), and have asked vehicle owners to contact respective RTO office for further actions.

This is a cause of concern for me, because what about those vehicles which are not registered in West Bengal, as no RTO will have the vehicle details?

I believe there are many others sharing the same plight, or have had the same issue while PUC renewal.

I will visit an RTO office myself to get more information on the process, which I will share subsequently for the benefit of others in the same predicament as mine.

In the meanwhile I will be very grateful to receive any information or solution the issue experienced by others.

Many thanks and best regards.
Attached Thumbnails
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-img_20190810_182338.jpg  

VirginWheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 16:24   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Thanks, NPV. I too go to HP COCO bunk (near DRDO township Phase-1) due to the good experiences I've had there for fuel fills.
My Zest(P) will be due for PUC in August (6 months since my February check ). This time I'll try the Indian Oil bunk near BDA complex.
Went today for PUC test of my BS-4 Zest(Petrol) at Indian Oil bunk near BDA Complex, Indiranagar.
Certificate is valid for 1 year. Cost: Rs.90 for Petrol car.

Special thanks to BHPian NPV for pointing me to this center/bunk.
Old 5th September 2019, 15:27   #157
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I went to get my Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate renewed at IOC Fuel Station in Jeevan Bima Nagar, Bengaluru. Even after claiming that my vehicle is BS-IV (Mahindra TUV300) the guy was initially not willing to set the car emission norms to BS-IV. I had to do little argument and in the meantime there was a queue built up and he realized that other people might also become aware, so told me to lower my voice and silently set the emission norms to BS-IV, which gave me one year validity. Apparently many PUC centres are just taking advantage of ignorance of the vehicle owners.
Attached Thumbnails
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-img_20190905_113819.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 5th September 2019 at 15:30.
airbus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 22:40   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginWheels View Post
Hello Team,

Subject - PUC renewal in Kolkata for vehicles registered in other states.

I am driving a car in Kolkata which is registered in Karnataka.

I have been getting the PUC of the car renewed without any questions asked for the last 2 years without any issues., but I am apprehensive about the next PUC renewal (due on 01-Sep-2019) after a recent information I got while visiting a pump for re-fuelling (on the day of writing this post - 10-Aug-2019).

As per a new directive from the West Bengal Motor Vehicles department the PUC testing personnel are looking up for the vehicle information in a website to find the emission details.

They are not able to proceed with the tests, if the vehicle details are not found in the site, and are giving print out of the message "Please contact RTO to update Fuel norms" (please see image), and have asked vehicle owners to contact respective RTO office for further acti

Many thanks and best regards.
My vehicles is also registered in KA and I faced the same issue recently. I managed to get the puc done from a testing centre near jadavpur 8b bus stand. They could only issue me a certificate valid for 6 months though.

Have you unearthed any more information on this? I suspect if you reveal to the rto that your car has been on Calcutta roads for more than a year they will ask you to re register locally and pay road tax.
Old 6th September 2019, 17:48   #159
BHPian

The last PUC I got done for my Tiago (2017) on July 01 only shows a validity till September 30, i.e., for a quarter. Now the vehicle certainly is BS IV compliant and I've come to know through this thread that BS IV compliant vehicles only need a fresh PUC once in an year, which means I've been duped by the mobile PUC (near the now defunct Sector 51 HP COCO Bunk in Noida).

My question is, can I use the issued PUC Certificate beyond September and try to reason with cops about this as and when needed, or do I go for a fresh certificate and ensure I get a proper 1 year validity this time?

Also, any pointers for a trusted (?) PUC center in Noida are welcome.
Old 7th September 2019, 17:40   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post
The last PUC I got done for my Tiago (2017) on July 01 only shows a validity till September 30, i.e., for a quarter. Now the vehicle certainly is BS IV compliant and I've come to know through this thread that BS IV compliant vehicles only need a fresh PUC once in an year, which means I've been duped by the mobile PUC (near the now defunct Sector 51 HP COCO Bunk in Noida).

My question is, can I use the issued PUC Certificate beyond September and try to reason with cops about this as and when needed, or do I go for a fresh certificate and ensure I get a proper 1 year validity this time?

You should get a fresh certificate issued, perhaps from an authorized station at Delhi.

I would not take chances with an expired certificate in a crooked place like noida
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 18:44   #161
BHPian

This might be a noob-ish question from my side, but how do people with modified vehicles get PUC certification? Surely, even something like a tune could possible send emissions out of the acceptable range? Do people have to undo all the power modification (to stock) for the test and add everything back after certification?
Old 10th September 2019, 09:37   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
This might be a noob-ish question from my side, but how do people with modified vehicles get PUC certification? Surely, even something like a tune could possible send emissions out of the acceptable range? Do people have to undo all the power modification (to stock) for the test and add everything back after certification?
Your question assumes that the guys doing the PUC check are doing their job properly which in most cases is not the case .

When I went to get my PUC done this time, it was the first time that the guy even checked the emission across all RPM ranges. Otherwise the usual tactic is to just put in the machine in the exhaust, make up some readings and be done with it.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:47   #163
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post

Change the PUC centre.
I also faced a similar issue. The PUC person issued me a 3 months certificate saying the vehicle didn't qualify for 1 year (This was brand new < 6 months old BS4 car). I asked my service advisor and he said to change the petrol pump.
Next time I went to another PUC centre. There all the tests passed and I was issued a 1 year certificate. I think either the equipment is faulty or they want people to visit them frequently.
Old 10th September 2019, 14:57   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
My vehicles is also registered in KA and I faced the same issue recently. I managed to get the puc done from a testing centre near jadavpur 8b bus stand. They could only issue me a certificate valid for 6 months though.

Have you unearthed any more information on this? I suspect if you reveal to the rto that your car has been on Calcutta roads for more than a year they will ask you to re register locally and pay road tax.
Hello hothatchaway,

I have got the PUC for my car renewed at bunk on Basanti Highway. And so have a few colleagues of mine who are having vehicles registered in other states.

The PUC certificate is valid for six months. But that is the standard period for PUC renewal at all testing centers in Kolkata. (Unless challenged, as has been done in Bangalore and some other cities.)

Please note that this 'emission norms' checking issue is applicable to all vehicles, irrespective of their state of origin. I have had the same issue with my Motorcycle which is WB registered.

The entire drama is a new mandate from the state transport dept I believe, but as long as we have helpful guys at testing centers, willing to act autonomously, subsequent renewals should not be an issue, since all testing centers are not following the directive.

There are some bunks in city who take themselves as if they are the RTO.
Once, I was even questioned about the authenticity of my car's registration plates, since they are not the HSRP types.

Happy Driving.
Regards
VirginWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 15:25   #165
BHPian

With the new Motor Vehicle Act coming into force, the PUC testing centers have been loaded like never before. I counted 46 two wheelers when I visited for refueling in Noida today. And more than 15 cars queued up. It does seem like PUC check and re-issue was the last thing on the mind of most owners, but not any longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks