Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 17:03   #1

Confusing road sign and traffic signal

The other day, I was nearing lakshmi mill junction at Avinashi Road, Coimbatore through Pankaja Mill Road. As I approached the junction, I saw a 'NO FREE LEFT' sign on the road, and the traffic signal light that shows an arrow to the left was blinking green. Anyone has any idea what that means?
Old 24th November 2009, 18:13   #2
BHPian

Not sure if I have understood you right. Did you want to say that because it was blinking and green, it would stay green all the time and not change to red, (contradicting the "No free left" sign)?

Have seen a few left turn green signals that blink but change to red as well. This is probably one of those.
Old 24th November 2009, 18:20   #3
BHPian

The blinking green probably means - proceed with caution.
had it been blinking yellow - then would have meant - stop and then proceed.
Old 24th November 2009, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

It means that you can proceed when the light is Green. The board makes no sense or is either a deterrent who motorists who casually take the left along with ongoing traffic from the free signal.

By the way these are favorite traffic cop haunting spots.
Old 24th November 2009, 21:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Most of the new signals have a blinking green for left in case the straight is still on red.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
It means that you can proceed when the light is Green. The board makes no sense or is either a deterrent who motorists who casually take the left along with ongoing traffic from the free signal.

By the way these are favorite traffic cop haunting spots.
I think what you say is correct. This was what I felt too. To the bestof my knowledge, a blinking green light means proceed with caution. It was the board on the left hand side of the road that confused me. Thank you.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newinthomas73 View Post
I think what you say is correct. This was what I felt too. To the bestof my knowledge, a blinking green light means proceed with caution. It was the board on the left hand side of the road that confused me. Thank you.
I will may be put it better. The signal as you say is "No Free Left" which means the left turn could be possibly allowed when the traffic moves from the side you want turn along with a full green for your side when you could go straight or right in addition to taking a left. When the signal is still red and traffic is allowed from the left, the left turn is allowed for you which is indicated by the blinking left. Next time you can check the signal if my hypothesis is right.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newinthomas73 View Post
The other day, I was nearing lakshmi mill junction at Avinashi Road, Coimbatore through Pankaja Mill Road. As I approached the junction, I saw a 'NO FREE LEFT' sign on the road, and the traffic signal light that shows an arrow to the left was blinking green. Anyone has any idea what that means?
A Ridiculous sign. You can take a picture and post that in funny posts.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

The "No free left" means that one has to wait on red. The blinking green means one can move after ensuring that there is no traffic flowing onto that road from other directions. One may presume that people coming 'straight' or turning right onto the road you want to take will get a steady green, they will have right of way and people turning left will yield to them. There is no contradiction between the sign and the lights.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks