Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 18:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Emotionally gratifying but very dangerous!
I know but this tool is like a "Brahmastra" for me used only when the traffic is moving slow and I have enough time to take preventive measures in case the moron does not realise despite all efforts what an indisciplined driver he is. Also please note that this is done only on roads which I know like the back of my hand and I don't have a nasty shock in the form of a huge pothole or so.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:11   #17
BHPian

- Flash your light twice. This should work with most cases, if no response, then

- Totally switch off your headlight for a second and switch it on again. This should make any moron switch to low beam, if still no response, then

No use doing anything, just prayer.

OT. But Aye!!! my 150th post.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

If nothing works, learn the local lingo and share a few words with him when he passes.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Sometimes, when I find a vehicle coming opposite very slow in high beam in a single lane road, even I stopped in the middle of the road till they dim though its not a safe practice!!
My thoughts exactly. It's an impulse reaction to stop/slow down the car when you get blinded by the oncoming light. Imagine your horror when you stop your car to let the oncoming car with high beam pass you, only to realize that a speeding car had hit you from behind.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

What do i do when everything fails(giving dipper more frequently,switching off light fully,..),I take out my right hand out of my window and show him a sign of blinking by hands and it works for me 90% of the time.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:47   #21
BHPian

Racingmachine, flashing your lights won't work mostly and here's why: it doesn't take a 3 year course to understand that high beam blinds the oncoming driver for a few seconds. They themselves experience that. But they still drive that way because they don't care and the authorities don't care to enforce either. Only a few do it inadvertently and most of them will switch to low beam as soon as you signal them. The medicine is: have highly powerful lights (within the legal limits) in your vehicle too. Don't use them unless and until you absolutely have to - 1) to give these morons a taste of their own medicine or 2) when you're driving in pitch-dark stretches with no traffic around.
My medicine had almost 90% time worked even with the mighty trucks on highways much less said of the cabbies in the town / city.
Bitter but true - my experience taught me that in Indian roads such retaliation works far better than politeness. Drive safe!
Old 27th November 2009, 21:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Is this for real?

People will be people and there is no real way of showing people that they are bothering you other then the eet pathar thing. Get a gazillion powerful lightforce lights to light up his day.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:18   #23
BHPian

Mercidised - when you switch your lights off completely, you're at risk both from the oncoming and from-the-behind traffic. You never know, someone may overtake the vehicle who made you switch it off completely. The rest is you-know-what!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
... other then the eet pathar thing.
What does that thing mean?

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th November 2009 at 21:50.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I do use my car's High beam to warn the oncoming driver to dip his/her beam, or else my spot lights go on! Then it is their side to dip/duck/diminish!

With all due respects to the owners, I usually find the Indica & Santro cars have a bad hit when driven in high beam to the oncoming traffic. Indicas as we all know are driven by drivers who anyway do not understand the 'dip' language.
It is not only the four wheelers who drive with their vehicle headlights in high beam, I have obsereved (and obviously got irritated) a few two wheeler drivers driving in high beam.
You are absolutely right @getsurya. The santro lights are really irritating when in high beam!!
Request all to please drive in low beam at least in the city limits.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

in the city im on low beam 90% of the time unless its pitch dark with no street lights etc
or it might be raining . But on the Highway im 70% on high beam but always make it a point to dip for oncoming vehicles let it be a lorry or an auto i show a bit of courtesy.
But i do admit that i some times need a remainder from the opposite side regarding dipping of the lights.
Old 27th November 2009, 22:51   #26
BHPian

Flash your lights! once...twice...and if you do not get the desired response, switch to high beam - this works 80% of times.
the other thing to do is to educate when you can - usage of cabs has gone up dramatically and all of us use them at some point or the other.
Most people I know sit at the back, watch the cabbie drive with high beam and shake their heads. I just tell them upfront and surprisingly they listen and are willing to listen to logic. It's quite funny actually, a few of them have actually told me that they migrated from xyz village and a fellow native who was already a cabbie taught him how to drive and as a part of the golden wisdom was told "over 60 kmph - high beam" or "highway" = high beam or "after 10 pm" = high beam!! These are actual responses from Meru and Easy cab drivers over my many conversations with them in the last 1 1/2 years enroute to the airport/back home
Old 27th November 2009, 23:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Racingmachine, flashing your lights won't work mostly and here's why: it doesn't take a 3 year course to understand that high beam blinds the oncoming driver for a few seconds. They themselves experience that. But they still drive that way because they don't care and the authorities don't care to enforce either. Only a few do it inadvertently and most of them will switch to low beam as soon as you signal them. The medicine is: have highly powerful lights (within the legal limits) in your vehicle too. Don't use them unless and until you absolutely have to - 1) to give these morons a taste of their own medicine or 2) when you're driving in pitch-dark stretches with no traffic around.
My medicine had almost 90% time worked even with the mighty trucks on highways much less said of the cabbies in the town / city.
Bitter but true - my experience taught me that in Indian roads such retaliation works far better than politeness. Drive safe!
+1. Bitter truth! I sometimes have to use the full force - Low + High Beams + Fog Lamps. It works or even if it doesn't work atleast am happy to have irritated that person.
Old 27th November 2009, 23:51   #28
BHPian

Has anyone tried anti-glare(polaroid) sunglasses? I was thinking of getting a pair for night driving as I too can't stand these hi-beam loving ignorant drivers.

In my opinion, cops don't care about these things. Why, here in Bangalore, bikes coming on to the footpath is ignored by cops. Don't think they really care about headlights. They're too busy playing with their speed guns at relatively open roads.
Old 28th November 2009, 07:32   #29
BHPian

@sydras - there will be a drive against all of the common traffic offenses such as driving on high beam, using shrill horns and what not. But once the dust settles all such drives will be shelved. Does any one remember a zero tolerance zone in a small stretch on MG road some 4 or 5 years ago? Whatever happened to that? So don't expect the police to act on. I too have heard of anti-glare glasses but honestly don't know even if one exists. If one does, then what would those who wear correction glasses do? Does anyone know?
Old 28th November 2009, 13:02   #30
BHPian

On Highways, the main culprits are the truck drives. Since they have the height advantage, they have good visibility even if a car is on high beam. And so they do not care if the car driver get blinded. I have especially noticed the trucks dimming for other trucks and busses but not for cars.
The simplest solution is to install Hella lights pointed directly to the eyes of truck drivers. That should teach them some manners and they will dim the lights for sure (at least in your case) .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks