Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 14:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Yes, It is a good experience for you and good lesson for us. I always handover the mobile to my front seat passenger.If I remember I did pay Rs.1056 fine for using mobile phone as well as it seems to be same offense for violation of signal. It was mentioned in the receipt. Any how I paid on spot. Idid not have this much hassels.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Yes, It is a good experience for you and good lesson for us. I always handover the mobile to my front seat passenger.If I remember I did pay Rs.1056 fine for using mobile phone as well as it seems to be same offense for violation of signal. It was mentioned in the receipt. Any how I paid on spot. Idid not have this much hassels.
2 Days back Kerala government has announced that the License of any one caught using mobile phone while driving, will be suspended or taken away. How far its going to be effective, we will have to wait and see.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Handsfree is much more safer
But even hands free is not allowed legally.
How 'bout the car speaker phones...The only downside I see is that you are on speaker and everyone in the car hears you. But still seem much more convenient. However, are they legal? And secondly someone using them could you please suggest if they are helpful?
Old 8th January 2010, 23:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

By car speaker phone you mean a handsfree set right?. That's the one which connects to car speakers. I guess that's illegal too.
Old 9th January 2010, 13:36   #50
BHPian

The law in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

This is what I got :

1. Using a mobile while driving is illegal
2. Handsfree is illegal ( wired)
3. Using a mobile in a stationary car, on the side of the road is illegal
4. He wasn't sure about steering wheel phone controls

Finally he spelt out the law :
Use of the mobile phone by the person at the wheel is illegal under all circumstances

Now that I have had this experience, I will do the following :

A. When alone in the car, keep the mobile in silent mode ( switched off is best but I might miss some important calls that way).
B. When alone in the car, keep the mobile in the glove box.
C. Give the mobile phone to a passenger, if not alone.

Regards
>>> As I understand it no use of mobile phone by the driver at all
Period.

I will post my experience at the RTO in a separate post- will tell you just this that I have not got my DL!
Old 9th January 2010, 14:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

2 days back, I was talking to a known cop about this mobile talking and over speed.

His reaction was,

Cops can catch you:

-Even if the person sitting on the driving seat have a switched-on mobile in his pocket.
-Even if the mobile phone is kept away from you, but the handfree kit is kept on
your pocket or in the ears (they are not concerned whether you talking or not)

if you are not accepting, then you have to challenge this in the court.

Re overspeed:

-When you drive over and above 80kmph, it is punishable(am talking about kerala highways).

God save us that the Speedgun working fine, otherwise even if we drive at 70kmph and the speedgun show as 80 or more then we had it. more than the fine amount, the harrassment from them may be too bad?
Old 9th January 2010, 16:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
-Even if the person sitting on the driving seat have a switched-on mobile in his pocket.
-Even if the mobile phone is kept away from you, but the handfree kit is kept
That is correct. It is clearly mentioned on Bombay Police website.

As per law, if driver is alone in the car, mobile phone MUST BE switched off .
Old 9th January 2010, 16:41   #53
BHPian

in fact smoking cigarette while driving is also a offence.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:49   #54
BHPian

Using of mobiles when driving needs to be curtailed. FIAT Punto & Tata Manza have a wonderful blue tooth system. I used the Punto one & reccomend this to all. The Blaupunkt Hamburg after market system is as good !
Old 9th January 2010, 20:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
FIAT Punto & Tata Manza have a wonderful blue tooth system. I used the Punto one & reccomend this to all.

Even that is illegal if driver is alone in vehicle.
Old 11th January 2010, 00:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

So all the millions that car companies invest in blue technology is down the drain ( At least in India ).
What about PNDs? Are they illegal too?? Are we supposed to use GPS only while walking?
Anyway, what's the rationale of singling out mobile phones? I agree that a lot of things that can be distracting to the driver are dangerous.
But i'll be darned if you tell me that a mobile phone is more dangerous than say a nagging wife, or a cranky kid, Will these be banned too? It sounds like paranoia rather than safety regulation. Seat belts on main roads is sensible, switching off mobile sounds stupid.
As a doctor, I need to be available on the phone all the time, even when I'm driving. And think about businessmen, they need to be on the move all the time and need to be on the grid all the time too.
Now just because of the legislation, do I have to take one of my ward boys with me when ever I drive?

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 11th January 2010 at 00:18. Reason: Spelling correction and to add a line.
Old 11th January 2010, 01:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

I'm just curious. while I understand the rationale behind making using a mobile while driving illegal, What exactly is the problem with using a mobile phone in a parked car (especially if the engine is off, and the handbrake is on)?

Or did our legislators get carried away in yet another power trip?

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th January 2010 at 01:06.
Old 11th January 2010, 08:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

If engine is switched off, mobile can be used.

Mumbai traffic police's website has a decent FAQ page related to Mobile/Helmet and other common issues.

Mumbai Traffic Police

FAQ on mobile:

Using a mobile while driving - booked - what's going to happen?-mobile_use_in_car.jpg
Old 11th January 2010, 23:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Funny scene: you're parked under a tree on a hot summer day with the A/C running and police mama is catching you for talking on your mobile phone with your engine running while his vehicle is stolen by a thief.
It happens only in India.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 11th January 2010 at 23:36. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
So all the millions that car companies invest in blue technology is down the drain ( At least in India ).
What about PNDs? Are they illegal too?? Are we supposed to use GPS only while walking?
Anyway, what's the rationale of singling out mobile phones? I agree that a lot of things that can be distracting to the driver are dangerous.
But i'll be darned if you tell me that a mobile phone is more dangerous than say a nagging wife, or a cranky kid, Will these be banned too? It sounds like paranoia rather than safety regulation. Seat belts on main roads is sensible, switching off mobile sounds stupid.
As a doctor, I need to be available on the phone all the time, even when I'm driving. And think about businessmen, they need to be on the move all the time and need to be on the grid all the time too.
Now just because of the legislation, do I have to take one of my ward boys with me when ever I drive?
>>> A driver using a mobile phone is supposed to be a greater danger than passengers talking in the car or music played in the car by the Government Of India, as represented by its Department of Road Transport. Period. That is the law.

As to whether it is stupid or not, is a matter of opinion.

After being booked, and with a suspended licence for two months from the date of booking, I have learnt an important lesson, to reiterate :

1. Switch off the mobile phone when (driving) alone in the car.
2. If you are driving and have passengers, hand over the mobile to them
3. Do not handle the mobile if you are driving

The law is the same for doctors and businessmen as it is for lesser mortals like us. And that is as it should be.

The other option is also simple - behave like a 'normal' Indian and bribe the traffic policeman. After all, some businessmen (and I dare say) some doctors too are 'normal' Indians.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks