Team-BHP - Fender Bender
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Fender Bender (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/71234-fender-bender.html)

I have observed countless cars on the road with their fenders bent and/or badly bruised due to low speed accidents. :Frustrati

I recently got my card fixed recently for the same problem.

Basically one night I came from a premium restaurant in Chandigarh to find that the car's RHS fender had been totally bent. The impact must be high since the metal was totally bent, mudguard shot off and internal plastic cladding also broken in two. Thankfully my indicator was intact and working. This happended in the parking when I was not around the car.

I am very careful about parking the car, but as a habit I always parked nose-out. Since the incident I always park with the rear end facing the road.

How to get it fixed:

Authorised Dealer. The dealer I approached had only solution - "pura nikal ke naya lagana padega". After using insurance I still would have had to pay bare minimum Rs 500/- + xyz misc costs for metal and plastic (I was advised 1200/- as the cost). On top i would loose my no claim bonus. Plus leave the car for at least 1-2 days. Rejected.

Local mistri. I was awerse to the idea initially but decided to go for it since I was in the local automobile market. The guy basically HAMMERED it out by placing a stone inside the fender and hammer in other hand. I was aghast! Total time 1-1.5 hour

Obviously the fit and finish is not factory/workshop standard. I love my car and hate to see it with the leftover marks! But for the price and convinience I am satisfied with what I got.

Price = Rs 300 (for the hammering) + 50 (jugaadu touch-up) + 100 (new plastic fender) = Rs 450/-

Photos attached for your judgement.

i did same for my ohc when its fender got bent when one of the tyre went into roadside drain.the total cost was rs100 as it was just a dent .

I would get a new fender and claim insurance rather than going for this kind of dry denting. I have tried this kind of denting on my Indica years ago, results cannot be as good as a repaint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya101 (Post 1625198)

How to get it fixed:

Authorised Dealer. The dealer I approached had only solution - "pura nikal ke naya lagana padega". After using insurance I still would have had to pay bare minimum Rs 500/- + xyz misc costs for metal and plastic (I was advised 1200/- as the cost). On top i would loose my no claim bonus. Plus leave the car for at least 1-2 days. Rejected.

I think you could repair denting and whole paint job for 1500 in local market. If you feel you need painting, you can always do it in local shop.

Sad to hear that some one damaged your parked car. IMO, you can leave the Fender as it is now and think of getting a new one if there is any further damage.

To me, it appears to be a decent job done for the price paid. More importantly, the factory paint/finish is retained. I am not sure if the same paint finish can be provided by the local shops.

Looks pretty decent for a hammer & stone job. Only thing to worry about is the quality of the paint used which will show in a couple of months.

Had you posted the second pic first, my reaction would have been "Hey! where did it get dented?".
So it's actually a pretty neat job, at least it appears to be like that, in the pics.

Well thats decent job done. Not visible from this angle.

How was the paint touchup done ?

As some members said, to go for ASC for this, I guess, one can get these jobs done when required and ASC can be visited for repair of all of them once in a year or two years, for all over denting and repainting.

Yep, the job is pretty neat for a hammer job. After the rectification the only prominent mark is the place where the paint was wiped out. The "artist" applied some cherry paint with small paint brush. Frankly even for me the bent is a memory now!

From the 1st pic its evident that the paint has peeled off. So how sure are we here that the remaining paint wont crack further or peel off ?

If I were in your shoes would have simply gone to the dealership and gotten a professional job done. No harm in spending a few extra hundreds when you love your car to death.

Hit it till it works, works fine in some cases, but I would never want to try this approach with my car.

I'm awaiting for a similar work to be carried out in my car & not sure where to go. Two years back when a lorry hit my rear side of the car & caused a super visible mark of the lorry, I couldn't help much other than taking the car to A.S.S (one of the leading A.S.S in Chennai). However, now I see a spot where the paint is peeling off only on the place where the work is carried out. Not sure if the peeling will have a cancer effect on my car. So I've little apprehension to give it to A.S.S & also to give it to local garage. I'm planning to learn how this work needs to be carried out & then personally supervise the work that is carried out. Can someone provide your suggestion/opinions on how to go about this?

PS - I wish to thank the countless jay bikers riders & a Tata Ace for their immense contribution.