Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 11:18   #1
BHPian

A spoilt day

It all happend today morning on my way to office inside our campus. The road inside the campus at a particular stretch has hardly space for two cars and is in an incline. There are two speedbreakers and couple of twists in this stretch .I was following a queue where there was 2-3 cars infront of me and they all slowed down when they approached speed breaker at a sharp turn.There was a guy in bike on my left trying to overtake and suddenly a guy in indica came from back and without any hint ovetook me .There was hardly any space between his car and mine i had to turn to left and nearly avoided hitting the bike guy and i breaked.I was furious what would have happened if had hit the bike just because of somebody's insane stupidity,I followed this car guy and scolded him and drove to my office.
He was with family and looked furious. Later i thought it was needless .I could not understand why even these educated people could not show some road manners.
These type of reckless drivers i see everyday outside our office campus.
This incident spolied my mood .
Old 11th December 2009, 11:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

@bullboy: Sorry to note that this incident put you off. But if you analyse, in reality on any given day, such drivers are dime a dozen on our Indian roads. The best thing is to be wary of such people and let them not ruin your peace of mind. And mind you, education has nothing to do with good road manners.

Chill and enjoy your day. Aren't you getting ready for the weekend, by the way?
Old 16th December 2009, 14:22   #3
BHPian

Hi,

I had my part of a spoiled day, on monday evening, on may way from Medavakkam to velachery, the road do not have any divider, i was just driving along the traffic and we had to stop at a place, when suddenly a biker overtakes me and falls near the front wheel. Just as i am to get out of the car to check whether he is ok, he gets up, fires the bike and runs away, then the passers by told me that theres a dent, i thought of chasing him, then i felt that it would be a foolish thing to do, as there was lot of traffic, it was arnd 8:30pm. he was driving a red color passion, was not able to note the numbers . anyway it has left a dent above my right front wheel :(
Old 16th December 2009, 17:58   #4

I think you are talking about the stretch in front of the TCS building? Its a habit of the bikers in the campus to overtake from the left side. If the educated lot behave like this, I think we need to mend our ways before blaming the autowallahs for their actions. :(
Old 16th December 2009, 23:13   #5
BHPian

Hey Bullboy!! Consider yourself lucky! The other day in Hyd'bad, at around 2300hrs, while returning from dinner, I was driving on the center lane. As a car was overtaking me from the left, as is the norm in Hyd , I started veering to the right, after checking that the lane is clear. So now I am moving towards the right lane when a maniac in an Accent comes in at high speed, no horn or dipper mind you, moves into the right lane, and literally pushes me off to the center lane brushing my front fender in the process . Condolences to you anyway!!
Old 17th December 2009, 01:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Given the traffic conditions in India, everyday has got to be a spoilt one.You'd probably have one odd day where nothing happens. As long no physical injury happens to you or your loved ones,there's nothing else to do but close your eyes and pray that whatever happens to your car/bike ought to be minimal.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Hey Bullboy!! Consider yourself lucky! The other day in Hyd'bad, at around 2300hrs, while returning from dinner, I was driving on the center lane. As a car was overtaking me from the left, as is the norm in Hyd , I started veering to the right, after checking that the lane is clear. So now I am moving towards the right lane when a maniac in an Accent comes in at high speed, no horn or dipper mind you, moves into the right lane, and literally pushes me off to the center lane brushing my front fender in the process . Condolences to you anyway!!
Shouldn't you have been in the left most lane if you were driving slowly? Driving slowly - even if you are obeying the speed limit - in the central lane is dangerous. By slowly I only mean slower than the other vehicles around you. I don't let anybody overtake me from left. If I spot somebody trying it, I just indicate left and change the lanes. Most of the people get the idea and overtake properly from my right - even the Bikers.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

ORVM bent forward

On the issue of minor dents and scraches. I had these two incidents in the space of few days.
driving to Madikeri from Bangy. at mysore ring road i overshot the right turn and then realised my mistake, found no one coming from opposite direction, so I turned right aiming to take a U turn and a motorcyclist hit my ORVM folding it forward. totally my fault for not looking back before turning. however thanks to Maruti ingenuity pulled back the ORVM and all was fine.
Next in a traffic jam on OMR. a motorcyclist hits my ORVM while im stationary. again the mirror folds forward, my windows are up. The guy on the bike makes an apologetic gesture and sweetly flips the mirror back and gives me a big smile. made my day.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:54   #9
BHPian

I overtake from left if the (overly educated) person in front gives me a pass from left side, and they are mostly bikers who wave their left hand giving pass.
If they wave their left hand then it will take another birth for me to overtake from right, so its better to respect his signal and take whatever he has to give.

I think they have improper balance of their bike and thats why they want to stay near to the divider LOL!..
Old 28th December 2009, 16:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
It all happend today morning on my way to office inside our campus. ...
Is it inside TVM's famous IT Park???
Old 28th December 2009, 16:04   #11
BHPian

@bullboy - appreciate your quick response in the situation.
people like that are everywhere. everyone wants to cross and why bother other is the attitude of the day.

lately instead of worrying who is going to hit me, my senses are turning towards who is going to hit who crossing me... i hope i am clear.
Old 28th December 2009, 16:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thank god it wasnt me! Sometimes those who rigorously follow the speed limit on that curve exhaust my patience. But I do give warning before I overtake, and usually do so only if there is lots of space in front and to the side.
Of course, I do have my bad days
Old 28th December 2009, 16:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Beware the white horned greenhorn, for his TATA steel gives no quarter and expects none in return. Those of ye who commute to Technopark better watch out when you turn!
Old 28th December 2009, 16:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Is it inside TVM's famous IT Park???
I suspect it is, There is no point arguing with these guys. I will narrate my incedance. I was at the main gate of technopark, there is usually a traffic jam at the main gate at 8:30 in the morning, my car was standing. I hear a mild thud, Its a bike, i chose to ignore it and then, this guy negotiates his way to the front of my car and shows me a hand as if its my fault. It left me in a bad mood for sometime, but he surly must have thought attack as the best mode of defence.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 28th December 2009 at 16:28.
Old 28th December 2009, 21:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Shouldn't you have been in the left most lane if you were driving slowly? Driving slowly - even if you are obeying the speed limit - in the central lane is dangerous. By slowly I only mean slower than the other vehicles around you.
Till the time the incident happened, there was no other vehicle on the left so I guess I was not wrong there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I don't let anybody overtake me from left. If I spot somebody trying it, I just indicate left and change the lanes. Most of the people get the idea and overtake properly from my right - even the Bikers.
Good idea..will try and use it! Efficacy in H'bad is doubtful though!!

Most Viewed