Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 12:08   #31
BHPian

One more thing to mention about this notorious stretch is the gensets located in the middle dividers that are refueled every now and then by tankers which, naturally, park in the topmost lane to do the needful. This has proved fatal for many who did not foresee a stationary vehicle in the middle of the road, or could not take appropriate evasive action in time. A story was published in local papers about this menace recently but nothing has transpired.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to hear another incident but this is a common sight for people plying everyday. NH8 does not command respect as it used to earlier. It was a dream run initially. Even the truckers had high regards for safety. Every since Gurgaon has expanded uncontrollably there is sea of vehicles using NH8, its no more than a busy street now. Only on Sundays you get respite. Else the average speed has come down drastically.

FOB are now being constructed and only 2 are operational as of now. You can even see bikes using the same.

NH8 is nightmare in the morning and evening time when the crowd from Udyog Vihar/Mahipalpur/Airport road try to cross. I have seen minimum 10 accidents. Also everyday there is a tussle between cars at toll-plaza. [Silly people at toll plaza now want you to pay cash rather use tags - they changed the policy of not carrying forward the balance - leading to ugly encounters and jams].

Also the first thing that Anant said, the car was changing lanes. Yes that is bound to happen, we Indians and specially Delhites and Gurgaonwalas are not accustomed to driving in lanes and maintain discipline. We know that our car can go a bit faster and thus everyone is on the right lane. Also while making an exit people form double and triple lanes while pushing the slow moving traffic to the right. Try Ambience, Iffco and Signature tower in the evening, its nothing short of nighmare.

The trucks have no where to go. There are trucks and there are truckers in cars. People refuse to leave right lane and so the fast moving cars try to over take others from left. The slow moving cars are pushed to the left most lane and due to the bridges the average speeds drops so low that even trucks that have to maintain some speed to crawl up the bridges increase speed and come to middle earth everyone is racing everyone. Then there are good Samaritans being pushed around from one lane to another just because some moron on the right most side thinks his is the fastest car.

I myself ply 80km a day and the stretch on the highway is absurd. I always think I do not want to speed but its not safe in middle earth and left station (too much chaos). I always try to go slow but end up pushed around while I make way for every darn car. And its mid-boggling calculations while in middle. You can never know what gonna come in front or which way the oncoming traffic will swerve. The only safe place is right most and then I end up speeding more than 100 to avoid, dudes on their fast cars.

Please I beg of people commuting on the right lane. Please follow rules. If someone honks and gives you a dipper, kindly plan a move, do not do it abruptly but a smooth indication action followed by a smooth movement is enough for the other person to take it easy and wait for your way out. Most of the time I see people start indicating right and do not leave the territory. This irritates the drivers and they drive more rash.

40¦60¦80¦ overtaking lane should ideally be followed.

In EU all the exits are marked for 50 and 40 depending the country. People exiting the autobahns too follow the rule to slow down, but on NH8 everyone wants to drift and be the first. Only to go back home and see the soaps ;D

Drive safe.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:26   #33
BHPian

Really sorry to hear about the poor fellow, but then as everyone said its a common sight at the NH-8.

I have been travelling on this route for more than 3 and half years and I have seen a lot of accidents. And in almost all the cases it was a case of rash driving. About 3 years ago when I used to move around on a Pulsar a Honda City came from nowhere and hit me and ran away. Fortunately I wasn't hurt very badly as I was driving at around 20-30 KMPH. But the Honda driver didn't bother to stop and ran away. Thankfully he wasn't able to get too far and I caught up with him at the next intersection.

I wasn't in a mood for getting involved in a verbal dual as I was half covered in mud and dust. I just picked up a piece of brick lying by the side of the street and slammed it into the Honda' headlamps. The guy inside the car was so stunned that he didn't even bother to get out of the car and sped away as soon as the traffic opened up.

Ever since I started moving around in a car I have noticed that its the Cab drivers (Qualis, Innova, Tavera, Sumo) which create the maximum nuisence on this strech of the road.

Maybe if the companies for which these Cabs operate could paste their logo and a contact number for reporting rash driving, it would help ease up the situation. I say this coz I have seen this work.

On a recent trip through Rajasthan, I was driving on the same NH-8 while coming from Jaipur. I saw a white Accent with a Blue light (it was a Govt of Rajasthan vehicle) driving really dangerously. Needless to say the NH-8 being one the better highways allows you to drive at high speeds, but you shouldn't do that by putting everyone else' life at risk. There was a contact number pasted on the rear wind screen of the car for reporting rash driving, so I chased that guy (who was driving at about 120-130) came close enough to be able to read the number and asked my wife to call the number pasted on the windscreen. Before she could make the call very surprisingly, the Accent slowed down to about 90 and started driving sensibly. I guess he saw us taking down his number and slowed down to avoid getting reported.

Lets hope the Govt or the companies which hire these cabs becomes sensible sooner than later.
Old 24th December 2009, 17:11   #34
BHPian

Hi Devil on wheels (my imagination is running amok to imagine a person with a name like that :-)). I think you are right about the cab drivers being most notorious.

Recently, a brand new Innova taxi tried to pass me dangerously in the morning wee hours when I was on my way to office. Then I noticed his company number written at the rear windshield and when we stopped at a signal, I made a call to the mobile number mentioned. Sure enough, it was picked up by a polite man whom I gave a full description of his new car and the place where his driver was driving rashly. He was profusely thankful and before he finished the sentence, the driver, noticing that I was on my mobile, came to me and begged not to inform his boss. But I told him to talk to him directly and start looking for a new job. I am sure that was a good chastising lesson for the errant driver--especially since it required no ugly scene.

I think if we all BHPians form this policy of never driving rashly and trying to help in maintaining order and punishing the offenders it will be a worthwhile contribution.
Old 29th December 2009, 09:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^Not always, that calls are picked up by polite people. Not always action is taken. Mostly, these calls are picked to sooth/relax/passify/vent out anger of the irate caller. If some action is taken on the above driver, it'll be good for mankind, if not, I'll not be suprised.
But, kudos to all organisations who take the report rash driving seriously and take sufficient action.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:37   #36
BHPian

[quote=prince_pervez;1655097But, kudos to all organisations who take the report rash driving seriously and take sufficient action.[/quote]

Just a thought passing by.

If my assumption is correct most of us, the Bhpians, are working for such corporates which hire cabs on a bulk basis. Very few among us would be self employed businessmen or professionals.

Why can't we start this initiative at our respective organisations. And most importantly the organisations would also benefit from this. They would be able to provide better and safer transport to their employees.

My two cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks