Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 19:29   #1
BHPian

Carriers of terror

Below is a shot I took of a goods carrier which I felt is really carrier of outrageous and ignorant on-road attitude. The oxygen cylinders were simply piled up 'above' the limited hieght of the pick up whcih is purely inviting trouble. The driver was also rash in his driving which is only adding insult to injury. An unanticipated break could simply bring down the house of cards on the following vehicle (in this case, mine) and cause a really nasty incident. The cylinders could even trigger a fire in the worst case. I saw that even the traffic police were ignorant to such a mayhey. I wonder when would we have more drivers with a brain that has the ability to think.
Attached Thumbnails
Carriers of terror-201220091394.jpg  

Old 21st December 2009, 19:36   #2
BHPian

Just as dangerous are the trucks that carry construction iron rods sticking out from the back. They use a red cloth sometimes as a hazard warning - most of the time the cloth is so dirty it's more black than red.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:34   #3
BHPian

The cylinders do not have the mandatory safety ring over the nozzle. If a cylinder falls and the nozzle which is the weakest section breaks, it will take off like a rocket demolishing everything in its path.

Absolute disregard to safety and many of the drivers / policemen can't even understand the hazards posed by such vehicles. Unfortunately we learn only after a disasters
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:37   #4
BHPian

I am not nitpicking but we car enthusiasts should learn to spell the car parts correctly. Many a times "brake" is spelled as "break". We owe it our passion to spell these parts correctly.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
The cylinders do not have the mandatory safety ring over the nozzle. If a cylinder falls and the nozzle which is the weakest section breaks, it will take off like a rocket demolishing everything in its path.

Absolute disregard to safety and many of the drivers / policemen can't even understand the hazards posed by such vehicles. Unfortunately we learn only after a disasters
+1. Even with the safety cap on cylinders need to be secured tightly.

OT: A lot of things we might think are common sense or something to that effect are non-existent in the way of life we have in India. Safety is something a lot of people do not even think of when doing even the most trivial things in life. Just look at that way we drive in India, does it look like safety is even thought of before getting behind the wheel?
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

If these are oxygen cylinders, it cannot 'cause' a fire as oxygen is not inflammable. It can only assist something to burn, just like air outside. So the oxygen in the cylinders is as good as air outside when it comes to fire hazard.

The way they are loosely stacked in that truck is dangerous. Someone should really educate these guys.

What you can easily do is to tell the driver that one cylinder is about to fall down..

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd December 2009 at 12:23.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:51   #7
BHPian

Thats so very dangerous. forget the fire, even it falls on a car or a two wheeler, it will be a mess.

+1 Clever max : Tell the driver. one is about to fall
Old 31st January 2010, 15:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
+1. Even with the safety cap on cylinders need to be secured tightly.

OT: A lot of things we might think are common sense or something to that effect are non-existent in the way of life we have in India. Safety is something a lot of people do not even think of when doing even the most trivial things in life. Just look at that way we drive in India, does it look like safety is even thought of before getting behind the wheel?
+1 to that. It is not only what we see as a hazard but also what can happened. To relate an incident that explains my point. This is a true story.

The person is in the business of selling and servicing air conditioners. At one place, he had to park his omni to attend to a customer. He was carrying a cylinder containing the refrigerant gas inside the omni. No issues there as it was quite safe but when it became unsafe was that he had parked the omni in a crowded place at noon under the sun. (Not his fault though, that was the only place he got).

Due to the heat inside the car under the sun, the cylinder exploded and crashed through the side window out on to the road. Fortunately, no one was injured. How do you tell someone such obvious things?
Old 31st January 2010, 22:16   #9
BHPian

"If these are oxygen cylinders, it cannot 'cause' a fire as oxygen is not inflammable. It can only assist something to burn, just like air outside. So the oxygen in the cylinders is as good as air outside when it comes to fire hazard"

Oxygen in the Atmosphere is 21 % , which you are quoting as Air outside,
but inside the cylinder there is 100 % pure oxygen and which is definitely
a Fire Hazard.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Have seen it all across India. These things are just a disaster waiting to happen !!
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
. An unanticipated break could simply bring down the house of cards on the following vehicle (in this case, mine) and cause a really nasty incident. The cylinders could even trigger a fire in the worst case. I saw that even the traffic police were ignorant to such a mayhey. I wonder when would we have more drivers with a brain that has the ability to think.
We all know how callous these drivers are. Chances are that the supplier must be in a hurry, and chose to overlook the safety aspect while stacking these.
How many times we see iron rods dangerously protruding out of the trucks!

Sudden braking may not send these cylinders down, but sudden acceleration definitely will (a bit of physics here!)
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:27   #12
BANNED

The issue in these circumstances is that these are hazards which are not apparent to an average Indian. I being educated and sensible can see that the cylinders are not to be transported that way and have to be kept longitudinally aligning with the truck length but how will this be aware to a policeman or transporter or contractor who is not well versed in these standards?
Same case with other examples too, their analogy is if it can move bricks it can as well move anything

Our laws and enforcement always have a lot of catching up to do because we get technology quicker than the sense of how to use it.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:54   #13
BHPian

This matter really needs concern. Overloading is a such a big threat to each and every person on the road.

Good that the Govt has started some sort of "Stop Overloading" campaigns (TV Ad). Don't know how far it will go though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks