Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Wondered if this is happening in INDIA

I should first salute the attitude which i witnessed yesterday. i could not believe my senses that it was happening here in India right in front of my eyes.

We all are accustomed of Dumper truck driver driving rash & negligently & how many time we have seen dumper truck being involved in road accidents (in the Accident pics thread) , especially in Gurgaon( Haryana) where construction is on roll.
We all are also accustomed to demeaning & insulting ways of traffic police no matter which state it is & how they try to covert every situation to their benefit (bribe)
However this incident made me rethink :
I was driving back from work & was standing on a red light on a T point, this was a police man operated manual T point signal. Traffic was coming & then police men raised his arm to stop the traffic of one side. However one dumper which was half on the zebra line (normally would have sped away as we know them), applied brakes & came to a halt. Good job done truck driver follow traffic rules but this is not the story.
The police man opened the other side walked up to him & suggested (as i was passing by & over heard) " Dost haath ka matlab ek dum rukna nahi hota hain, peeche bhi gadian ho sakti thi agar aadhe nikal aaye they to nikal jaate" ( In English" Friend, a hand by police does not mean emergency stoppage if you were half ahead you should have crossed").

I was like , speechless... still dont have words to praise both....
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maybe both were family friends hence were giving utmost respect to each other.

But on a serious note, maybe things are really changing!!!!
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit confused here !

It just seems to be another day at traffic signals. The cop was right - cars from behind could actually crash in the rear.

Cannot make out why you named the thread so ?
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Maybe because the Traffic cop was speaking sense ?
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:18   #5
BHPian

cop must be the new recruit to the force... .period.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I am a bit confused here !

It just seems to be another day at traffic signals. The cop was right - cars from behind could actually crash in the rear.

I understand your confusion, may be i am not that good in bringing the situation out but the obeying of trafffic rules by a dumper truck driver & the tone & attitude by which cop explained to him was something a which I saw for first time.

You belong to Agra? So do i!!!
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:27   #7
BHPian

the only possible explanation that comes to my mind is that the dumper driver must have been challaned somewhere for jumping the red light and hence was fearful.

however if he was really abiding by the rules, it calls for three cheers to him for doing something most educated people in our cities ignore outright.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Guys it is quite common to see rational and good people on roads otherwise how do you think we are alive. Had the things been so bad every journey would be the last journey. So dont be pessimistic, good COPS and good DRIVERS are still not extinct though maybe on the endangered list for sure.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Maybe because the Traffic cop was speaking sense ?
Yeah, BUT you see this is a traffic cop. Traffic cops are totally different from our regular cops !

Anyways, it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
You belong to Agra? So do i!!!
Which part / school / college etc etc. Send me a PM.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

imo., sudden braking in a traffic signal (or manual signal) is not good as very possibility that vehicle behind can always hit you. This happened in many places
in many occassions.?
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:42   #11
BHPian

With out referring to the narrated case, just to highlight that the signal is supposed to go first from green to amber and then Red. Sudden braking is involved since most drivers ignore amber. Going by the narrated episode it appears that the Cop expected the dumper driver to speed off and hence all the sermon. Anyways its rare to see polite conversations on the road so its indeed laudable.

On another note such rare instances do happen, and we can conclude that things are changing only when such instances increase

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks