Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2006, 13:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
what does color gonna do with this any ways it was white....
White Viva...that fast...wow. I thought its only the red ones!
Old 10th August 2006, 14:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Once upon a time, me and a friend of mine who has a Viva Petrol were on the Durgapur Expressway. There is a stretch that is flat and very long with ultra-wide and Far visibility. It was early morning, almost dawn. And there were no traffic for the last 30 kms we had driven. So, we decided to pull to the side and then do a drag, the start wont be side-by-side but front to back (as an expressway does not allow side-by side starts). It was decided beforehand that this will go till the next 5 kms or before (if there was any hint of traffic or anyone wishes out). I won the toss and My car was ahead. The drag was flagged by mobiles and my friend made the call to start (as he lost the toss and was behind).

I built up a gap till about 150 after which the Ikon was accelerating slow, beyond 160 I could sense in the RVM that the Viva was not falling back anymore. Kept her floored till it reached 175 on the speedo (note I have 2.2% higher rolling dia) The Viva was closing but still about 5 car lengths behind.It was slowly inching while my Speedo was climbing very very slowly. It took a long while for the Viva to catch up, even when it did she was only just a bit faster (not running away, as a 25kmph difference would appear, maximum it was 10). I let him pass me as I had more or less maxed out a bit above 175 on the speedo, Then I decided to slow down. We had traversed only 3.5-4 kms. But I decided it wasn't being safe (even if we set up 5km limit). Viva atleast has ABS which mine does not. So we settled into the 120kmph procession.

We stopped soon and was discussing. He admitted having a bit of a jump start. His start was clean too. He redlined in every gear. So the Viva lost out to my car till about 165 from when she was slowly doing the catching up. But the gap was quite big. He won on the account of higher top speed. But we both admitted that it was being very unsafe after 160 given the fact that we travelled 3-4 kms at that speed on those cars (offcourse on unpredictable Indian Roads, even if that was an expressway)!

Last edited by 1100D : 10th August 2006 at 14:26.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:30   #63
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I don't know much about Accent Viva -- you probably have to check with owners regarding their experience. As far as my Santro is concerned, I have flogged it to full speed (mostly in 5th gear) continuously for 50 minutes on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and don't ever recollect the temperature indication even reaching the half-way mark. My top speed was something like 150-160 kmph and avg. speed for the 94 km Expressway was about 113 kmph. But then again my Santro's 1-lit engine produces top speed in 5th gear at a relatively low rpm (maybe 2800?). Maybe the Xing engine will tend to heat up a little more. It depends on the car, cooling system design, etc.
Here is a rough calculation of my true avg. speed along the straight sections of the Expressway.

Total time taken for 94 kms = 50 min
Minus 2 mins for two toll gates --> total time = 48 mins
Lonawala ghat section --> Assume 14 kms at avg. of 70 kmph --> 12 mins
Distance travelled on level road in 5th gear = 94 -14 = 80 kms
Time taken on level road = 48 -12 = 36 mins
True avg. speed on level road in 5th gear = (80 X 60)/36 = 133.33 kmph

I think I can safely assume that my true average speed on the level sections of the Expressway was in excess of 130 kmph. Quite amazing for ZipDrive Santro.

This tallies with a true top speed of something like 145-150 kmph, since there are many (slightly upward sloping, or curving) sections of the Expressway in which my Santro slows down to 120 kmph.

By the way, I do need a little luck with the toll gates and ghat sections in order to make the distance in 50 mins. If I get blocked by heavy vehicles on all lanes in the ghats or face a long queue in the toll gates, the total time needed will increase.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once upon a time, me and a friend of mine who has a Viva Petrol were on the Durgapur Expressway. There is a stretch that is flat and very long with ultra-wide and Far visibility. It was early morning, almost dawn. And there were no traffic for the last 30 kms we had driven. So, we decided to pull to the side and then do a drag, the..........
So, whats your point?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 10th August 2006 at 15:38.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
So, whats your point?

Shan2nu
So you want me to sum the whole thing in one sentence.

The Viva cannot do 200.

But I did not mean to be so direct, which could hurt. I only have said that the Ikon almost toped just above 175 (on its speedo and bigger rolling dia tyres) and the Viva was faster only by a bit, and not running away, indicating about 5-10 kmph speed difference at the max.

Last edited by 1100D : 10th August 2006 at 15:48.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Here is a rough calculation of my true avg. speed along the straight sections of the Expressway.

Total time taken for 94 kms = 50 min
Minus 2 mins for two toll gates --> total time = 48 mins
Lonawala ghat section --> Assume 14 kms at avg. of 70 kmph --> 12 mins
Distance travelled on level road in 5th gear = 94 -14 = 80 kms
Time taken on level road = 48 -12 = 36 mins
True avg. speed on level road in 5th gear = (80 X 60)/36 = 133.33 kmph

I think I can safely assume that my true average speed on the level sections of the Expressway was in excess of 130 kmph. Quite amazing for ZipDrive Santro.

This tallies with a true top speed of something like 145-150 kmph, since there are many (slightly upward sloping, or curving) sections of the Expressway in which my Santro slows down to 120 kmph.

By the way, I do need a little luck with the toll gates and ghat sections in order to make the distance in 50 mins. If I get blocked by heavy vehicles on all lanes in the ghats or face a long queue in the toll gates, the total time needed will increase.
RKS, pardon me for being a little slow on the uptake but what has all this got to do with the photo that sparked off the accent top speed debate? I don't think there was any issue about your Santro top speed or time taken to navigate the expressway. Sorry if I'm missing the point
Old 10th August 2006, 15:57   #67
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
RKS, pardon me for being a little slow on the uptake but what has all this got to do with the photo that sparked off the accent top speed debate? I don't think there was any issue about your Santro top speed or time taken to navigate the expressway. Sorry if I'm missing the point
Just to point out the consistency in my observed speedo readings. Not that you raised any such issue. It is always good to keep true avg. speed in mind when claiming top speeds, that is all.
Old 10th August 2006, 16:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I did not mean to be so direct, which could hurt. I only have said that the Ikon almost toped just above 175 (on its speedo and bigger rolling dia tyres) and the Viva was faster only by a bit, and not running away, indicating about 5-10 kmph speed difference at the max.
Nobody said the car did 200. It's just the speedo indicating 200. It's true speed would have surely been lower. So, i don't see what the arguement is all about.

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2006, 16:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is always good to keep true avg. speed in mind when claiming top speeds, that is all.
Didn't get that. What has "average speed over a distance" got to do with top speed?

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2006, 16:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nobody said the car did 200. It's just the speedo indicating 200. It's true speed would have surely been lower. So, i don't see what the arguement is all about.

Shan2nu
My friends car when it was just inching past my body panels was indicating between 185 and 190 . According to him it wasn't going any further.

Note: On that morning there was no breeze, the road was flat, the car had clocked around 20000 kms till that date (meaning it wasn't worn out)

So under normal circumstances the Speedo would have showed a max of 185-190 kmph (200 is far-fetched on a stock Viva petrol)

Last edited by 1100D : 10th August 2006 at 16:14.
Old 10th August 2006, 16:18   #71
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Didn't get that. What has "average speed over a distance" got to do with top speed?
The true avg. speed will give you one more data point, that's all. It will not conclusively establish that the claimed top speed is correct -- this can only be done with radar guns or GPS or whatever. But you can have a rough idea on a given terrain for a given driving style. On the Expressway, if you are pretty much at full speed on the level sections, the top speed will probably exceed the avg. speed by 10-15 kmph -- so this will give you a *rough* idea of your top speed. Nothing conclusive, of course. On the other hand if you claim that you were at full speed throughout the level sections on the Expressway and claimed speedo readings of 160-180 kmph, but the true avg. speed turned out to be 100 kmph for these sections, then we know that there is a huge inconsistency in the claim -- maybe due to speedo error.

Last edited by rks : 10th August 2006 at 16:21.
Old 10th August 2006, 16:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note: On that morning there was no breeze, the road was flat, the car had clocked around 20000 kms till that date (meaning it wasn't worn out)
Yes, but the Viva that did 200 didn't have the exact same conditions. What if there was a slight slope, or if there was more back wind helping the car that day?

And not all speedos read alike. I've seen Vtecs that show higher speeds at a given rpm when compared to my car. So, his car might show 200 when he's doing 190, where as mine will still be lower (inspite of my car achieving the same true speed).

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2006, 16:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The true avg. speed will give you one more data point, that's all.
This works only if you time the distance once you've achieved top speed.

Take a 1km straight, empty stretch. Start in such a way that you're already doing top whack when you cross the start line (will have to start acc atleast 3-4 kms before) and keep it at that speed, till you cover that 1 km.

Then calculate the time taken to cover 1km at the indicated top speed. If the vehicle speed has been constant throughout the 1km stretch, then your average speed will be equal to your true top speed.

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2006, 16:39   #74
rks
BANNED

Quote:
This works only if you time the distance once you've achieved top speed.

Take a 1km straight, empty stretch. Start in such a way that you're already doing top whack when you cross the start line (will have to start acc atleast 3-4 kms before) and keep it at that speed, till you cover that 1 km.

Then calculate the time taken to cover 1km at the indicated top speed. If the vehicle speed has been constant throughout the 1km stretch, then your average speed will be equal to your true top speed.
That is true, of course. I only hinted at a rough estimate that would add to the credibility of the claim. I.e., I am saying that if the observed speedo readings varied from, say, 120-150 kmph on the level sections of the Expressway and if there isn't too much error in the speedo readings, your avg. should fall somewhere in between. Of course if there is a huge variation in the speed range, say, from 30 kmph to 170 kmph, then the avg. speed will not give you much of an idea of your top speed.

Last edited by rks : 10th August 2006 at 16:45.
Old 10th August 2006, 16:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but the Viva that did 200 didn't have the exact same conditions. What if there was a slight slope, or if there was more back wind helping the car that day?
This could be an endless one - what if there was a cross wind (which I have felt on occasion on the GN E'way)?

By the way Shuvc, did your friend's Viva also exhibit the characteristic of all warning lights coming ablaze when he crossed 160?

Most Viewed