Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 14:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Sometimes to make sense of the obvious is a huge task.
Lol, so true. Just shows that common sense is infact not so common.

I've never noticed this type of signalling before though. I thought it's quite obvious that if a car wants to go straight then all turn indicators should be off and it seems to be quite the opposite.

On the topic of hazard lights, i've seen it under varied usage
- To indicate that a vehicle is merely stopped by the side of the road - no hazard, but still lights are on
- During heavy rains, cars driving recklessly or extra cautiously, both types have Hazard lights on
- Hazard lights are switched on in tunnels (seen on Mumbai-Pune Expressway often)

Last edited by gomzi : 8th January 2010 at 14:18.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hazard Warning Lights are meant to be denote just that an Hazard. If you have stopped on a busy road due to mechanical failure then we use Hazard Lights. It is meant to show that your vehicle can be an hazard to others using the road.

What next loud speakers on the roof for the driver to yell out to the rest of the road users what he intends to do next?

I think this practise has come about by our basic disregard for rules.
Spot on and same is what I meant.

Of course and obvious is the fact known to most of us what hazard indicators actually are meant for, but these dubious practices by senseless road-users have made it impossible sometimes to judge their intentions. Also, I have mentioned situations where I have come across people using them.

We have seen many instances where a left Indicator is turned on to inform the driver behind to overtake from left - Of course, this is utter disregard to the rule but how many can be educated? My relative from Gujarat sitting with me said "Wait, he is changing his lane to the left so that you can overtake" and we waited for over 2 kilometers only to realise what he meant -??

We have also seen geniuses clamping the Warning Traingle just atop of their cars when we all know where and how far it needs to be placed.

I have witnessed cases where there is serial collision while one brakes harder seeing a moron ahead suddenly braking to take a right.

So, in the event when common sense is seldom applied on our roads, these new tricks at times have always helped, though not entirely!!

All said and done, for the road conditions that prevail across different sections of our country, rules are hardly followed and often misused.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this umpteen number of times at traffic signals(where the signal itself is not functioning) and at roundabouts. I don't know if this is illegal or not but it is outright dangerous. My sincere advice to all bhpians and everyone else reading this is that this pratice is not only wrong but downright dangerous. Let me explain.
Suppose you approach a four way junction and you switch on the hazard light to indicate that you want to go straight(ie northerly direction). If a vehicle is approaching you from your right (coming from your east) he can see only the right indicators of your vehicle blinking and he might understand that you are attempting a right turn. Similarly if a vehicle is approaching from your left (coming from your west) he can see only the left indicators of your vehicle blinking and might assume that you want to take a left turn. This could lead to a shunt.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:43   #19
BHPian

I have seen this unusual pracitice of using Hazard lights for going straight in a round about or traffic light in the State of Orissa as well.

This is prevalent since a long time and its almost the norm there.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:49   #20
BHPian

I have seen this practice of using Hazard Lights to go straight in lots of southern parts of TamilNadu also.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:53   #21
BHPian

Yes, even in hyd during night at the signal point [yellow light blinking], one will put hazard lights to go straight.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what do the ones who turn at a T Junction do? LOL.

Its a no brainer actually, if you are turning switch on the right/left indicator. If not drive straight and dont bother about indicating that you are going straight LOL.
Nope, it's a good idea to use Hazard Lights while driving straight in Junctions.
For Turinng Left or Right use the respective Indicators.
For straight Use Hazard Light to indicate people behind us.
Moreover it's very common discipline in TamilNadu

Just curios,Is there any rules to use Indicators in India ?

Last edited by aks_karthik : 8th January 2010 at 15:32.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:32   #23
BHPian

Yeah they had developed a new unwritten rule. In Orissa it's common, all cabbie use Hazard to indicate they go straight. Initially i was in same dilemma as you.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:37   #24
BHPian

Context has priority to legality

Im also doing this

But two words of caution.

1. I use these to indicate my direction to vehicles coming from REAR.
2. As i reach junction i turn off indicators, to avoid any guess for vehicle coming from either right or left.

Before proclaiming whats right and wrong, i think its pretty important to understand the context in which its used.

These signals are tend to be used on roads which are not wide enough to accommodate 2 cars, going in same direction at the junction. Assuming 2 are going in different directions.
Another instance, are the junctions where we dont have traffic lights, BUT traffic police is there, giving directions. When i use these lights, its become more clear for him to regulate traffic. (Again think road as narrow).

I dont use these signals, with roads wide enough and traffic lights are in working condition.
anoopap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 15:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I ask him: Why are you guys switching on the Hazard light?

He: Its to indicate that we are going down the straight road after the roundabout.

He: Yes, its the way to indicate that.

so its a regional thing then.
Its the same here and its used in fog too,
they(usually cabbies and prof drivers) put the lamps in high beam mode(instead of low, where reflection will be low)and go on blinking all the four driving me mad,
and on another note i believe that in trucks there should be another indicate option which the truckie can flash when he nods for an overtake and should be different from regular indicator

hazard lamps- they should be used to indicate only if the vehicle is stationery and not moving, should never be used for any other purpose

Last edited by Sheel : 8th January 2010 at 16:05.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:48   #26
MCR
BHPian

I also use the hazard lights as a warning in the following conditions:

1. Slowing down for a speed beaker on the highway. Most of the morons drive very fast while tailing the car in the front. I have found out, this is the best way to indicate you are going to brake for the humps.
2. While encountering a speed trap on the highway. To indicate that overtaking from left can be dangerous.

I can say it works pretty well.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post

Before proclaiming whats right and wrong, i think its pretty important to understand the context in which its used.
I don't agree.

The thing is if published traffic rules are not followed, everyone can do whatever signalling he likes and say that it was proper in the context.

Point being that such contextual signalling cannot be reliably interpreted by all road users. Traffic Rules and signalling on roads have been made for a purpose, please follow them.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:52   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Nope, it's a good idea to use Hazard Lights while driving straight in Junctions.

Just curios,Is there any rules to use Indicators in India ?
Sorry but I dont understand. Correct me if I am worng.

I guess you are being sarcastic or you dont have a license yet or you are below 18 years of age.

If you do have a license, i think you have understood the traffic rules and know them well. That is if you went the legal way. If you have got your license by bribe or anything else then probably you are unaware that using Hazard Lights the way you think right is unscientific, ridiculous and downright dangerous. Hope you correct your way of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
Im also doing this
It is wrong period. No indicators "MEANS" I am going straight. How difficult is it to fathom that. Small road, big road, massive road does not matter.

Look at some of the replies I am thinking we are not far when we see arguments happening due to a guy "indicating" going staright and one who knows the rules.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but I dont understand. Correct me if I am worng.

I guess you are being sarcastic or you dont have a license yet or you are below 18 years of age.

If you do have a license, i think you have understood the traffic rules and know them well. That is if you went the legal way. If you have got your license by bribe or anything else then probably you are unaware that using Hazard Lights the way you think right is unscientific, ridiculous and downright dangerous. Hope you correct your way of driving.
Good going cool
Thanx for your advice.
if possible,Go to RTO office and ask the Licensing Authority,how to indicate to go straight in a Junction and let us educate.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Look at some of the replies I am thinking we are not far when we see arguments happening due to a guy "indicating" going staright and one who knows the rules.
Too true. I'm actually completely flabbergasted that there are forum members who claim that such signalling is Ok.

Please read up on the traffic rules. I think the entire Motor Vehicles act is up on t-bhp somewhere.

Most Viewed