Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 16:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

@spitfire, AFAIK, (In Trivandrum at least) when you appear for a license test you are supposed to show the signals with your hand ("handsignals") and not by indicators. May be this is what AKS had in his mind.

IMO, you 2 guys (with a collective sum of 3,000+ posts) need not quarrel over a pair of indicators...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 8th January 2010 at 16:13.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Please people! they are called HAZARD lights and i dont think going straight at a junction is such a big hazard that they need to be switched on! Notice the red triangle on the button for switching on these blinkers? Thats an international symbol for hazard.
Many cars now come with a big version of this sign that you are supposed to place by the roadside in case your car is stranded.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

I do this too. It serves its purpose, and quite well too, i might add. Driving purists might be offended, but hey, it works.

Who knows, this might become an accepted rule some day too.

To those who say this practice is not right, i understand that this is not strictly by the book, but driving rules are not set in stone. The rules are merely the a set of accepted driving conventions made into law. And the rules were made to facilitate driving.

I have a feeling that this practice will eventually become legitimate, just like lane change signals
Old 8th January 2010, 16:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Just curios,Is there any rules to use Indicators in India ?
Hi Pals.

I posted this statement in a Hilarious way.I missed the smiley ha.
Please don't misinterpret.

Moreover,I am little edcuated and know somewhat about Traffic Rules& Regulations

Last edited by aks_karthik : 8th January 2010 at 16:35.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:41   #35
BANNED

Quote:
if possible,Go to RTO office and ask the Licensing Authority,how to indicate to go straight in a Junction and let us educate.
Look at this link:

Transport Department

Go under Road Safety

This is what is there:

Quote:
Rules Of The Roads Regulations, 1989

The Rules Of The Road Regulations,1989 was brought into effect from July 1, 1989. It serves as a basic guide for the driver showcasing the rules which he has to follow while on the roads. It deals with basic facts such as overtaking, traffic signals, towing, speed limits, the necessary documents to be carried while driving and such other neglected but imperative points nonetheless.

Keep Left:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall drive the vehicle as close to the left side of the road as may be expedient and shall allow all traffic which is proceeding in the opposite direction to pass on his left hand side.

Turning to the Left and Right:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall:

1. When turning to the left, drive as close as maybe to theleft hand side of the road from which he is making the turn and of the road which he is entering.
When turning to the right draw as near as near as may be to the centre of the road which the driver is entering.

Passing to the Right:
Except as provided in regulation 5, the driver of a motor vehicle shall pass to the right of all traffic proceeding in the same direction as himself.

Passing to the Left:
The driver of a motor vehicle may pass to the left of a vehicle, the driver of which having indicated an intention to turn to the right has drawn to the centre of the road and may pass on either side, a tram car or other vehicle running on fixed rails whether travelling in the same direction as himself or otherwise provided that in no case shall he pass a tram car at a time or in a manner likely to cause danger or inconvenience to other users of the road including persons leaving or about to enter tram cars.
Overtaking prohibited in certain cases: The driver of a motor vehicle shall not pass a vehicle travelling in the same direction as himself:

If his passing is likely to pass inconvenience or danger to other traffic proceding in any direction
If he is near a point, a bend or corner or a hill or other obstructionof any kind that renders the road ahead not clearly visible
If he knows that the driver who is following him has not signalled that he may be overtaken.

Overtaking not to be obstructed:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall not, when being overtaken or being passed by another vehicle, increse speed or do anything in any way to prevent the other vehicle from passing him.
Caution at road junction:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall slow down when approaching a road intersection, a road junction, pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter any such intersection, junction or crossing until he has become aware that he may do so without endangering the safety of persons thereon.
Giving way to traffic at road junction:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall, on entering a road interjection at which traffic is not being regulated, if the road entered is a main road designated as such, give way to the vehicles proceeding along the road, and in any other case give way to all traffic approaching to the intersection on his right hand.
Free Passage to Fire Service Vehicles And Ambulances:
Each driver shall on the approach of a fire service vehicle or an ambulance allow it free passage by drawing it to the side of the road.

Right of way:
Pedestrians have the right of way at uncontrolled pedestrian crossings. When any road is provided with a footpath or cycletrack especially for other traffic, except with permission of a police officer in uniform, a driver shall not drive on such footpath or track.
While on the roads, every one sharing the roads should respect each others presence and their right of advancement on roads. The section below points out some basic tips in order to make driving a smooth experience.

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th January 2010 at 16:43.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hey Spitfire Thanx for the Info.
But we are talking about usage of Indicators in Vehicles.
I am also looking for the same.if you find it ,Post the URLs.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:53   #37
BHPian

We need some more indicators

I think that our cars should be equipped with some more (and possibly colourful) indicators to communicate the following messages.

- I want to go straight
- There is some problem ahead (say a dog, a kid, a jaywalker or a pothole), so I am slowing down
- I am in a hurry, please give way
- I am a local dada / politician / have superiority complex, so (obviously) give way
- I am angry today, don't mess with me.
- I am talking on the phone, so car may get out of control
- I am drunk
- I am an underage kid with or without licence, so I may drive rash. Please bear with me
- Overtake me from the left
- Overtake me from the right
- I will not let you overtake, do whatever you can.

Any more
aroop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 16:59   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Spitfire Thanx for the Info.
But we are talking about usage of Indicators in Vehicles.
I am also looking for the same.if you find it ,Post the URLs.
Which topic is that again? Indicators? Look at the topic again. We meant Hazard Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Any more
Now you have done it, guess who will be driving a christmas tree soon. LOL. PS: aks_karthik i didnt mean you. HONEST.

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th January 2010 at 17:02.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

While on the subject, another common mistake i have come across is WRT the right of way on a roundabout. Contrary to popular belief, the vehicle IN the roundabout has priority over a vehicle that is about to enter it. A vehicle that is about to enter a roundabout must give way to traffic coming from his right. Once in, you have priority over traffic on your left that is approaching the roundabout.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Which topic is that again? Indicators? Look at the topic again. We meant Hazard Lights.

Now you have done it, guess who will be driving a christmas tree soon. LOL. PS: aks_karthik i didnt mean you. HONEST.
you are in a Good Mood Spitfire.
Hazard Lights are nothing but indicators right

Last edited by aks_karthik : 8th January 2010 at 17:10.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
I think that our cars should be equipped with some more (and possibly colourful) indicators to communicate the following messages.
I want to go straight - Go ahead who's stopping you, just keep your hands off that hazard light switch please!
There is some problem ahead (say a dog, a kid, a jaywalker or a pothole), so I am slowing down - i thought that's what brake lights are for !
I am in a hurry, please give way - flash your beams to request overtake

Enjoy mates!
Old 8th January 2010, 17:11   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Individually yes, Together no
Old 8th January 2010, 17:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well technically speaking No. Turn indicators are used to indicate the direction you wish to turn to right/left. Indicators blink only on one side at a time (right or left) while the hazard light blinks on both sides at a time(right and left). If you were asking whether the combination of the left and right indicators together double up as the hazard light, the answer is Yes.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Individually yes, Together no
well i try to build in another way.
Here we are debating about the usage of Hazard Lights as Indicator for going straight.
What i need to know is,when and how to use indicators in Vehicles including Hazard lights.Is there any specific recommendation by the Government or Traffic bodies in India.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well the way it is meant to be is that the Hazard light is meant to indicate a Hazard and for nothing else. Suppose you got a flat tyre or the car is stranded for some reason, then you use the hazard light to indicate vehicles approaching you to proceed with caution.

Most Viewed