Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 17:42   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Please people! they are called HAZARD lights and i dont think going straight at a junction is such a big hazard that they need to be switched on! Notice the red triangle on the button for switching on these blinkers? Thats an international symbol for hazard.
Many cars now come with a big version of this sign that you are supposed to place by the roadside in case your car is stranded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Well the way it is meant to be is that the Hazard light is meant to indicate a Hazard and for nothing else. Suppose you got a flat tyre or the car is stranded for some reason, then you use the hazard light to indicate vehicles approaching you to proceed with caution.

Well put. Hazard lights are to indicate that your car might be hazard to other motorists due to a breakdown or other problem.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:01   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
What i need to know is,when and how to use indicators in Vehicles including Hazard lights.Is there any specific recommendation by the Government or Traffic bodies in India.
Yes my friend you should ask and we will deliver. Hopefully now you will follow the rules and not use the Hazard lights at your own whim and fancy. And that you will renew your license by going through the legal way.

The below is from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, India.

Link-> http://morth.nic.in/
Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Incorrect New Use for Hazard Lights-tb.jpg  

Yet Another Incorrect New Use for Hazard Lights-tb1.jpg  

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th January 2010 at 18:04.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Internationally Mercs and Beemers even during the late eighties and early nineties used to come with an exclamation sign within a red triangle (symbol for hazard internationally) fixed inside the boot in such a way that when the boot is open the sign can be prominently seen. I believe it could be removed and fixed as and when required.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Still it won't fulfil my questions.though it's good.
I am little bit uncertainty in your License(way of getting it too) as you are speaking about legal License for more than 3-4 times.
I am having a Legalized License got it from TamilNadu Govt. by passing the Driving tests.
Are you clear now?
Enjoy and Drive safe
Old 8th January 2010, 18:29   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Still it won't fulfil my questions.though it's good.
Duh?? Oh ok?? I thought you said government approved stuff. So I got it?

Pardon me but can you elaborate as to what you are seeking? I am here to help you out.

I really want to help people understand rules and regulations of our country.

I take this as an oppurtunity to enlighten the less knowledgeable about the right way of driving in India, even though they have a license.

It will be my pleasure to help you from breaking the rules of using Hazard Warning light while crossing an intersection.

Please I look upto this as my duty as a law abiding citizen of my country.

It pains me to see a fellow Senoir bhpian at that totally clueless about using indicators and hazard lights as required.

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th January 2010 at 18:31.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am little bit uncertainty in your License(way of getting it too) as you are speaking about legal License for more than 3-4 times.
I believe if you have a badge, you need to renew your license every year.

My only intention here is to get people to know what is right and what is wrong about things I am very certain about. I am not posting to criticize or hurt anyone. It's just that I want as many people to do it the right way as possible. Those who are willing to rectify their mistakes are most welcome to follow. I know what kind of training we get in driving rules from driving insructors here in India. The less said the better. That is why we require these sorts of enlightment here. You try this hazard light gimmick abroad and you fail your test with a big F.

Last edited by longhorn : 8th January 2010 at 18:39.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Oh, talking about strange signals on highways, I often encounter morons, who blink their right indicator to signal that I should overtake. I often get confused and slow down, thinking that he wants to turn to right. It's so hard to understand if he wants me to overtake or wants to turn right.

If he *has* to use an indicator, at least use left one. That's much safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
There is some problem ahead (say a dog, a kid, a jaywalker or a pothole), so I am slowing down - i thought that's what brake lights are for !
I don't think using Hazard light in exceptional case is totally wrong, especially if the moron behind you is almost sticking his nose up your car's bum. I often very lightly press brake pedal just to flash the brake light and indicate the guy behind to back off, but sometimes, people just don't get it. In such case, flashing hazard light may not be a bad idea. IMHO breaking traffic convention here is better than breaking butt of your car

I personally use it in case of heavy rains and poor visibility.

Last edited by RX135 : 8th January 2010 at 18:59.
Old 8th January 2010, 20:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
IMHO breaking traffic convention here is better than breaking butt of your car
Exactly that's what I said in my first post. Well said RX135.

There's a rule asking train passengers not to use toilets when the train is stopped in a station. It is printed inside most compartments.

What would you do when you want to pee and the train is halted?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 8th January 2010 at 20:03.
Old 8th January 2010, 21:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Duh?? Oh ok?? I thought you said government approved stuff. So I got it?

Pardon me but can you elaborate as to what you are seeking? I am here to help you out.

I really want to help people understand rules and regulations of our country.

I take this as an oppurtunity to enlighten the less knowledgeable about the right way of driving in India, even though they have a license.

It will be my pleasure to help you from breaking the rules of using Hazard Warning light while crossing an intersection.

Please I look upto this as my duty as a law abiding citizen of my country.

It pains me to see a fellow Senoir bhpian at that totally clueless about using indicators and hazard lights as required.
I don't know why you were reacting extremely.
Please be calm and take some rest.
Don't reply as I am here to explain and educate people who doesn't know to rules and regulations of India.
Just create a Poll about Hazard light.you will know how many T-Bhp members are using hazard lights.
I am very well comfortable using this in Chennai and people here know the indication.
I am not ready to debate with you and waste my time.
Don't hurt/tense yourself on seeing people like me(People totally clueless about using indicators and hazard lights as required)
Keep your good work on educating india.
Thanx for helping me to know the difference between Indicators and Hazard Lights.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 8th January 2010, 22:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Its better to stop discussing more on Hazard lights and continue with some prospective debates.
Many thanks to you and longhorn and will imply your suggestions in my next driving.
Bye
Old 11th January 2010, 12:22   #56
BHPian

Hey Guys

We seem to be having some interesting discussion here. Many of us seem to promote that hazard lights should be used for going straight. I somehow could not digest that coz it somehow tells me that it is exactly opposite to the actual usage of the hazard lights. Are they not supposed to be used when you have a problem and are stationary and indicate the danger to other vehicles? Then you use them what do we understand???

That you are either stationary or are moving straight? I'm sorry to say but that makes little sense, as those are precisely the only two possibilities out of which I want to know which.

Also for those of us who have not yet come across such an incident, I have seen many cabs (usually the call center ones) using the hazard lamps to indicate that they have the right of way and we better be aware they would turn this way or that!!! And they do exactly that moving in every possible direction. BTW I always wondered why the car's owners manual had this small things as to the usage of turn indicators etc. What was the value add when we all learn to drive before we lay our hands on the car...but now I probably know why.

However, the next time I see someone flashing all the ambers, I would guess:
1. He probably has a problem and is gonna stop in the middle of the road; or
2. He is going straight; or
3. He might turn anywhere he wishes in the next split second...

My reaction:
1. Confused
2. Probably pull over, wait till the car is out of sight, and move on as if I saw nothing...
Old 11th January 2010, 12:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
...those are precisely the only two possibilities out of which I want to know which.
If you read post 47 by Spitfire your doubt should have been cleared.

Quote:
"...when the vehicle is in an immobilized condition all the direction indicators flash together giving hazard warning to other road users"

Last edited by longhorn : 11th January 2010 at 12:35.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

I saw a BMTC bus today, flashing its hazard lights, changing lanes left right and center, causing danger to others on the road. I guess even a BMTC bus driver is aware of the proper use of hazard lights, in a very twisted manner.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:13   #59
BANNED

Saw a car decked up with so and so marrying so and so - with hazard lights on driving towards a wedding hall. I am sure it was the bridegroom, the best use of hazard lights yet

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th January 2010 at 11:14.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

This thread and a couple of others on similar lines prompted me to start a new thread to enlighten folks on the basics. Most of it is just plain common sense which seems to be uncommon nowadays.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...kes-avoid.html

Last edited by longhorn : 12th January 2010 at 11:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks