Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:29   #91
BHPian

About 10 am today, on a straight stretch of road with moderate traffic, I saw a new Scorpio with hazard lights on.

Thought he may have put them on by mistake and as I passed him I tried signalling to him that his hazard lights were on. He nodded to indicate that he knew that, pointed at himself and said something that sounded like "Learner" or "Learning". His idea of an L-board, I suppose.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
About 10 am today, on a straight stretch of road with moderate traffic, I saw a new Scorpio with hazard lights on.

Thought he may have put them on by mistake and as I passed him I tried signalling to him that his hazard lights were on. He nodded to indicate that he knew that, pointed at himself and said something that sounded like "Learner" or "Learning". His idea of an L-board, I suppose.
. You should have told him to go through team-bhp!
Old 4th February 2010, 10:02   #93
BHPian

Not at all a good idea. What if you are driving at 80+ and suddenly use the Hazard lights? Chances are that the person behind you might panic and screech his brakes. What happens next can be guessed by anyone
Old 5th February 2010, 02:16   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post

Was it an AP 31 vehicle? If so, I am not surprised.

I've lived in Vizag for donkey's years and this peculiar practice of putting on the hazard lights for going straight at junctions is widely-prevalent there. I've mentioned this long back in another thread with a similar context.
Old 5th February 2010, 13:20   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Was it an AP 31 vehicle? If so, I am not surprised. I've lived in Vizag for donkey's years and this peculiar practice of putting on the hazard lights for going straight at junctions is widely-prevalent there.......
No, it had a temporary registration sticker. Didn't look more than a few days on the road, so likely to have been bought in Hyderabad.

Not even at a junction - this was on Road No.2 going towards Checkpost, just opposite the TDP office. He had just turned right from the LV Prasad side.
Old 5th February 2010, 15:49   #96
BHPian

Cabbies should have their hazard light on always, they *are* a hazard to everyone on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Brilliant! they wont turn the indicator on when making a turn but will turn both ON when going straight!!
hehehhe..... I love cabbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hazard Warning Lights are meant to be denote just that an Hazard.
Exactly my point on why cabbies need em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And IMHO, this is better than turning right / left without any signal at all. At least, you know that he is going straight.
Oh and when someone really has a break down and switches on his hazard light, then I think I should most probably take his lane and end up tailgating him since he is, urm, going to go straight?, whereas the others didn't indicate that they were going straight, so I won't take the risk of taking their lane.

Lights should be used the way it is meant to be used. If one comes up with ingenious idea, then talk to car manufacturers and create new lights.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:20   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Not at all a good idea. What if you are driving at 80+ and suddenly use the Hazard lights? Chances are that the person behind you might panic and screech his brakes. What happens next can be guessed by anyone
Well it can help in certain situations, you know.

Once I was having a friendly drag with a accent chap, it was around 3-4pm overcast sky and very less traffic. We were just going at a respectable pace (around 100-110) as luck would have it one nutcase changed lane without signaling cutting off the accent guy. I was coming from behind pretty fast.
Accent man had to brake hard, as he did that he had the presence of mind to flick the hazards on. If it wasn't for that I've have had a pretty hard time braking "on time".

I understand you point, however it does help sometimes.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:48   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Accent man had to brake hard, as he did that he had the presence of mind to flick the hazards on. If it wasn't for that I've have had a pretty hard time braking "on time".
Seriouly man??

You brake hard only when the hazards come on but not when the brake lights come on?

And braking behind another vehicle is not only dependent on whether his brake light comes on or not. You as a driver need to be aware of the surrounding too.

One free advise: Dont drive behind trucks on highways their brake lights never work and horror of horrors for you they never use hazard lights to indicate they are braking. You might rear end them waiting for their hazard lights to come on.
Edit:
PS: Friendly drag on public roads?? Oh ok sorry avoid the above advice. Fundamentals of safe driving are at a zero level here. Indicator use and hazard warning lighs are at a higher level of safety aids.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:43   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Seriouly man??

You brake hard only when the hazards come on but not when the brake lights come on?

And braking behind another vehicle is not only dependent on whether his brake light comes on or not. You as a driver need to be aware of the surrounding too.
He he, I brake very early and very gently.
I rarely "stomp" on the pedal.

Yeah sir, I know brake lights means I have to brake.
I guess he flashed the hazards just to give me the "heads up".
Even if he had't I've have managed to brake, however the "hint" helped.
If you have ever driven/ridden in a group you'll know what I'm taking about.

Quote:
One free advise: Dont drive behind trucks on highways their brake lights never work and horror of horrors for you they never use hazard lights to indicate they are braking. You might rear end them waiting for their hazard lights to come on.
Thanks. I fail to understand the "joke", if there is one.

Quote:
Edit:
PS: Friendly drag on public roads?? Oh ok sorry avoid the above advice. Fundamentals of safe driving are at a zero level here. Indicator use and hazard warning lighs are at a higher level of safety aids.
I'm not saying "you" should do it or anyone else for that matter.
I'd rather you or anyone else did't.
Its just an experience I had, that's all.

Ever heard of learn from your/orthers mistakes ?
So I had mine and I'm sharing it. If you can't take it please don't.
You can learn on your own.

To sum it up I ain't no saint. If you think you are one, think again.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:08   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have ever driven/ridden in a group you'll know what I'm taking about.
Are you implying that hazard lights (and other indicators) can be used in inappropriate situations while traveling in a group? What about others on the road who are not in the group? What message do they get?

Traveling in a group or not, it is better that everyone knows and abides by the traffic rules.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:34   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Are you implying that hazard lights (and other indicators) can be used in inappropriate situations while traveling in a group? What about others on the road who are not in the group? What message do they get?

Traveling in a group or not, it is better that everyone knows and abides by the traffic rules.
Sir, I'm not "implying" anything.
As I said, there are something that cannot be told/said/written you just have to know. If you have ever ridden in a group maybe just maybe you'll know.

And if you have ever seen a band of teen kids on Rx's you'll probably know what I'm talking about and most of the time that is a perfect example of what "NOT" to do.

I cannot and will not even try to write it in here as its will be just like opening a can of worms.

I never said anything about "NOT" abiding to the law.
If you wish to "imply" any meaning to the words I've noted down, I guess you probably can. I'd really suggest you to please read the whole thing again till you get the "right" message.

EDIT :

Quote:
can be used in inappropriate situations
I certainly hope the situation is "appropriate" as the case maybe.

Last edited by yzfrj : 5th February 2010 at 18:37.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I certainly hope the situation is "appropriate" as the case maybe.
As the case maybe? Beg to differ. Please read the rules.

Quote:
... when the vehicle is in an immobilized condition all the direction indicators flash together giving hazard warning to other road users.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1672621

Your friendly drag driver using hazard warning while breaking is a clear violation of this rule, as his car is not in immobilized condition. Hazard lights should only be used while the vehicle is immobilized.
Old 6th February 2010, 12:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
.......Accent man had to brake hard, as he did that he had the presence of mind to flick the hazards on. If it wasn't for that I've have had a pretty hard time braking "on time".....
Quote:
......I guess he flashed the hazards just to give me the "heads up". Even if he had't I've have managed to brake, however the "hint" helped. If you have ever driven/ridden in a group you'll know what I'm taking about......
Not sure how the hazard lights gave you a heads-up or hint here, though you may have the impression they did. If the Accent guy had to brake hard, would he have taken the time to first put on the hazards and then stepped on the brake?

It's more likely to have been the other way round, in which case the brake lights would have flashed first and the hazards would have been unnecessary.
Old 6th February 2010, 13:10   #104
BHPian

The last few posts got me thinking of a couple of situations. One on a highway, was being tailgated by a Sumo and I saw a herd of goats up ahead taking up most of the road and wasn't sure if the Sumo guy had seen them - most tailgaters look just at the car in front.

On the PVNR flyover here, was approaching a point where the flyover narrows from two lanes to one lane with a speedbreaker just before that point and I had someone tailgating me. Again not sure if he knew what was coming up.

At those times, the need to brake gently is greater than usual. I flashed my brake lights to warn the guy behind that I was going to brake and was hoping he realised it was a warning and wasn't thinking I just happened to touch the brake pedal.

In such a situation, was wondering if flashing the hazards briefly, to warn the tailgater that you are going to brake and slow down significantly, would work? Not talking of whether it is correct or not - it isn't - but whether it could help avoid gettiing hit. A better alternative may be to stick your hand out upwards but that again takes time if your window is rolled up.

Last edited by straightdrive : 6th February 2010 at 13:11.
Old 6th February 2010, 13:28   #105
BHPian

Follow only the Standard

As the saying goes, 'you cannot take the law into your own hands', you cannot make your own driving rules. I think the standards say that hazard-lights are to be used only in emergency stops. My opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks