Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 23:36   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
even though the detector was hooting away after every individual went through it.
The best stress test for any metal detector is in India, considering the amount of gold jewellery most indian ladies wear
Old 16th January 2010, 00:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
How I wish I could have done that.I would go and park my vehicle in the skoda head office in india and save lots of my brothers and sisters of the future troubles.

Oi, how did Skoda get into this - did not know that they have a hand in making Safaris. Or, on the other hand, Skoda Corporate knew you were a closet Skoda hater and all those security guys were her stooges, or perhaps Skoda Corporate placed the explosives in a determined bid to rid the world of their enemies!

BTW Skoda make some great cars that are oodles of fun, some of the dealers though could do with a little vapourising. I love my Skoda and now I am convinced that she loves me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

3) This detector could be searching for traces of a certain component found in RDX. This component could also be used in other products - which your car might have come in contact with. (kinda like v12 mentioned - and ashwinsid's examples of fireworks is a good one too)

R
That is the most probable cause - similar signature vapours from another product. I wonder - did you decide to give the Safari some TLC on the holiday and use any cleaning and/or polishing products? Traces left by many solvents might be similar to traces of explosives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
The best stress test for any metal detector is in India, considering the amount of gold jewellery most indian ladies wear
Methinks the security guys manning those metal detectors should be trained to react if someone walks thorugh and the alarm does not go off!

@ Alter Ego, I kinda know what it feels like. The particular model of laptop that I use was identified as a possible weapon and was on the hot-list of several security agencies. When travelling, it (and I) were always singled out for 'special attention' at airports. The special attn. normally consisted of a guy/woman in protective gear lightly running a swab over it and then putting it in some analyser (I think it was a spectrometer). At some airports - the laptops were required to be switched on but, never mine - I was always asked to stand clear in a very no-nonsense tone. Once the check was over they would always hand over my lappie with a smile and an apology for the inconvenience.

Did you receive any update on why the detectors went off.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 16th January 2010 at 00:12.
Old 16th January 2010, 06:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
oh cmon, do we need a reason to blame tata's A.S.S?!!! they are responsible for each & everything happening with the safari.

anyways, on a serious note, where was the 100kgs hidden, you smart chap?!!
The readings could not have been 100Kgs. More likely to be 100 % of the explosive range. Could have been detecting some component of the exhaust gases such as SO2 or H2S ( Diesel Engine) Was the Accent also diesel?
All points to a faulty detector. They should have used another Instrument to compare the results.

WRT to Door Frame Metal Detectors.

Recently I was traveling from Bangalore to Chennai. Bangalore cantonment Station have DFMD installed at the entrances to the platforms. At one entrance the detector is inactive, no guards, and some people walking through and others walking outside the detector. At another entrance, the detector is discarded to the side and inactive ( Damaged) and no guard either.
When I landed at Channai, all the detectors at the entrances were fully functional and guards manning them and guiding passengers through them. This is all when the country is under terrorist attack alert.

Last edited by sudharma : 16th January 2010 at 06:29. Reason: More info.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:06   #49
BHPian

English translation please

Quoted in part

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I asked him "Kaisa dikhta hai BOMB?" and He says "Sir, dekhne mein gol hota hai, kala hota hai aur usme ek wire laga hota hai".
Could you please translate this to English? I do not understand the language (?Hindi). Thanks.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
The security guards are just picked up from the road and asked to put on a uniform. The other day on my visit to a mall I was quite amused to see the guard asking every one to go through a DFMD (Door Frame Metal detector) and then not checking any one, even though the detector was hooting away after every individual went through it.
Must be Sigma mall. I went there twice and the guard never once bothered to check.
Old 16th January 2010, 09:25   #51
BHPian

I recollect that a couple of months back, a few J&K cricketeers were detained at Bangalore for a similar incident. Subsequently, they were released after no further confirmation was found. The incident had generated quite a bit of row from the J&K Govt.

I only hope that the equipment error is such that it sometimes gives warnings when there is no threat, rather than giving no warning when there is an actual threat.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!!!

100 would have blown the entire campus...
Probably the analyser failed!!

But what a harrowing experience.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:38   #53
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Not just your office, take one look at the so called metal detectors installed every where, does the guard even know what they are doing or are supposed to do? In fact, I drove up to the Leela last week and when the guard checked Hariya with a mirror, I asked him, "What are you looking for?" He says, "Sir, BOMB".
I asked him "Kaisa dikhta hai BOMB?" and He says "Sir, dekhne mein gol hota hai, kala hota hai aur usme ek wire laga hota hai".
Funny this one. And the guy may not even know what to do if he actually spots one, assuming he can spot a bomb that doesn't fit his definition of gol, kala with a wire

Another version that's doing the rounds is that the securities actually are tyring to find the gender of the vehicle through that mirror
Old 16th January 2010, 10:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Apart from finding RDX Ak47 / 56 / 74 are prohibited assault rifles which can fire up to 20 bullets per second.How come your office security got hold of them ?
They must have been the CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) personnel.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:53   #55
BHPian

Was it a RDX Drill to demonstrate how to tackle the situation

You can approach SONY TV with a story line for CID

ACP says - "Abhijit pata lagao RDX kidhar se aya"
Old 16th January 2010, 13:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
security guy:Sir one of the employee's 4-wheeler has been detected with RDX traces.Sir kya karna hai ab?

Security Incharge from the other end: Oh.Whats the trace count like 1 or 2 or 5 or 10?

Security guy:Sir the instrument is showing 100 and he starts panicing more.I am just wishing that the unit of 100 is not in Kgs

Security incharge:kya bol raha hai.tujhe pata hai 100 to poori company uda dega.phir se check kar.

Security guard: Sir 3 bar intrument reset kar ke check kiya.Reading is constant for this car.Baaki sab ki car pe koi reading nahin dikha raha.Only on this vehicle sir.
Hi Alter,

Explosive Vapour Detector has detected 100 Microns of RDX in your car. That means 1/10th of a gram.

RDX is measured in Microns not in grams and 1000 microns make one gram of RDX and even a tiny object cannot be exploded with the RDX detected in your car.

I am sure the guards do not have any knowledge how to handle these devices at your office premises.I am posting the picture of a explosive vapour detector commonly used in India, is this the same which is used at your office.
Attached Thumbnails
RDX falsely detected in my Safari by office security-sabre4000_1.jpg  

Old 16th January 2010, 14:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Are there any more diesel cars in the office [does this happen when they are checked, I mean have you heard of any other incidence].
Do you use any different polish or something was the car washed with diesel any time earlier?
This thing should not happen [unless the sensor is acting up]. This is bad, your an employee of the company, they know you so it would be handled differently. Some one new would have been in trouble.
I wash,wax and polish my safari on all alternate weekends with turtle wax but the alarm never went off before.And the funny thing is the last weekend I was too lazy to wash or polish it.And boom the detection device went crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ Alter Ego, I kinda know what it feels like. The particular model of laptop that I use was identified as a possible weapon and was on the hot-list of several security agencies. When travelling, it (and I) were always singled out for 'special attention' at airports. The special attn. normally consisted of a guy/woman in protective gear lightly running a swab over it and then putting it in some analyser (I think it was a spectrometer). At some airports - the laptops were required to be switched on but, never mine - I was always asked to stand clear in a very no-nonsense tone. Once the check was over they would always hand over my lappie with a smile and an apology for the inconvenience.

Did you receive any update on why the detectors went off.

Cheers,
No Ravveedrra.I guess it was a lapse on my part.I should have followed it up.Thats the first thing that I am going to do monday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
The readings could not have been 100Kgs. More likely to be 100 % of the explosive range. Could have been detecting some component of the exhaust gases such as SO2 or H2S ( Diesel Engine) Was the Accent also diesel?
All points to a faulty detector. They should have used another Instrument to compare the results.
I am not sure whether the accent was also diesel,but I hope it was a crdi.
I was actually blank at that moment and did not even think about the diesel vapours coming into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Quoted in part

Could you please translate this to English? I do not understand the language (?Hindi). Thanks.
He asked"Do you know how a bomb looks like"
The security guard replied"its black ,round and a wire attached to it".

Quote:
I recollect that a couple of months back, a few J&K cricketeers were detained at Bangalore for a similar incident. Subsequently, they were released after no further confirmation was found. The incident had generated quite a bit of row from the J&K Govt.

I only hope that the equipment error is such that it sometimes gives warnings when there is no threat, rather than giving no warning when there is an actual threat.
Yeah I too remember that incident of J&K players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Whoa!!!

100 would have blown the entire campus...
Probably the analyser failed!!

But what a harrowing experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
They must have been the CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) personnel.
Bingo! yes I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Was it a RDX Drill to demonstrate how to tackle the situation

You can approach SONY TV with a story line for CID

ACP says - "Abhijit pata lagao RDX kidhar se aya"
Old 16th January 2010, 15:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wash,wax and polish my safari on all alternate weekends with turtle wax but the alarm never went off before.And the funny thing is the last weekend I was too lazy to wash or polish it.And boom the detection device went crazy
Bingo! We have found the root cause of all your troubles.

Your Safari was peeved with you for neglecting her. So she told the Explosive Detector about it. Machines can and, do talk to each other, they just do not like us dumb humans to know about it. Now your Safari and her detector pal decided to teach you a lesson for having neglected your faithful and long suffering Safari over the weekend. As soon as your Safari came in sight of the Detector she winked at the Detector to set things in motion and well, as they say, the rest is history!

Please do not neglect your car on the weekends, it can have very grave consequences (imagine what can happen if your car tells your electric shaver about it), be extra nice to her this weekend, maybe you can buy her a box of chocolates or maybe some flowers to make up for last weekend.

Cheers,
Old 16th January 2010, 16:06   #59
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator Note - Thread title changed to "RDX detected in my Safari by office security?"
Old 16th January 2010, 16:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ahh, remember this very clearly. I was inside the stadium when the match was delayed. Got a call from my uncle and found out the real reason behind the delay. Ever since, mom has banned me from watching any more matches at stadium

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks