Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 09:08   #61
BANNED

Guys,
Cool it down. The OP has stated it was an accident and going by his narration it was an accident caused by them alone not the drizzling, wet roads, curves, blah..blah. So he and everybody knows they were at fault so lets not go overboard here and start flaming him.
He says the witnesses said they spun/rolled 7 times, so don't take the number of spins for a fact, it could have been 2/3/4/.. And it's not always evident from the visible damage what led to it. It might have spun and each time it made contact with the ground it might have done so at the wheel area thus escaping major outer damage.

People who are responsible drivers never get into such a situation in the first place but the unfortunate thing is, the not so responsible divers never learn until it happens to them personally so no amount to saying "drive safe" helps because it just doesn't register in their head.

It is not "safe driving" that we need but responsible driving because everyone thinks he is safe until he is no more safe.

Last edited by zaks : 27th January 2010 at 09:10.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 09:31   #62
BHPian

Man !! What a scary incident. You had lady luck on your side that day I guess or some angel watching over you. Hitting a divider @190 kph is really scary. But the car roof seems to be OK....just the driver side door and the right front wheel seems to be out of place. Anyway all said and done , thank God you guys were relatively unhurt. Speeds on a wet road can be very very very dangerous.
Be careful friend, you learnt it the hard way. This incident has renewed the respect for my car and of course the laws of physics and what they are capable of doing to human if they are violated.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 27th January 2010 at 09:33. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 27th January 2010, 10:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

First, thank god that you both survived. And thank god that no one else was hurt.

Second, it is very nice of you to come out and post this. This should be a lesson for all who read this thread.

The car does not look very much damaged, but Honda as we all know would like to replace each & every part of the car. hence the high cost for repairs. But i cant believe you are not claiming total loss on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
There is a lot of damage. Plus the engine was damaged too.
And after all its a Honda.
i got all the info(regarding the cost) from my friend who is the OWNER of the car.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:56   #64
BHPian

There can be 2 explanations:

1.The pics of the car are taken at the workshop.Hence, it is possible that most of the repair work was completed before the shot.

2. The car didnt sommersault. It spun. Logically, if you hit a sidewall, the metal would cave in and cause the car to spin. The low traction due to the drizzle would have surely aided that.
This would also explain
a) why the airbags didnt deploy (since no impact)
b) only a side impact
c) roof unaffected
d) windows and glass area unaffected.

But, 10lacs repair for a car which spun 7 times after hitting a sidewall seems fishy!
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

a total +1 on all the points

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
There can be 2 explanations:

1.The pics of the car are taken at the workshop.Hence, it is possible that most of the repair work was completed before the shot.

2. The car didnt sommersault. It spun. Logically, if you hit a sidewall, the metal would cave in and cause the car to spin. The low traction due to the drizzle would have surely aided that.
This would also explain
a) why the airbags didnt deploy (since no impact)
b) only a side impact
c) roof unaffected
d) windows and glass area unaffected.

But, 10lacs repair for a car which spun 7 times after hitting a sidewall seems fishy!
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:29   #66
BHPian

@ Pancham ,
Good to know that you and your friend escaped with minor injuries.
Also a very nice writeup. The whole read was like watching some regional action flick.

I appreciate your concern of spreading the message of always wearing seat belts while driving. After reading your writeup I almost believed that this is a true incident until I saw the pictures of the car.

I dont understand why 10Lakhs has been spent on repairing this car. Ex-showroom cost is around 12-13 Lakhs.

I think you just like to be on the fast lane. Ripping the car to its limits, or rather being the car which is being pushed to its limits and enjoying the adrenaline rush (after having a coffee in CCD ) . In this excitement you must have failed to realise how careless your friend is in driving.
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:25   #67
BHPian

You have no right of putting life of other people at risk with this sort of reckless driving. Its too huge a price for others to pay for you to learn a simple lesson.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

This is to all fellow T-BHPians, who seem to have taken "Holier than Thou" approach:

Go and check out logs of numerous T-BHP drives/meeting. Though T-BHP never recommends reckless illegal road racing, you'll see several esteemed T-BHPians claiming to have done more than 180-190 kmph (and more) on public roads. Go to "What's your top speed?" thread and you'll notice huge number of T-BHPians, who have done extreme high speed driving in the past.

The OP clearly understand hazards of high speed driving. He is neither defending what his friend did no encouraging similar stunts. He has also admitted that it was a mistake. I just fail to see any point in going on flaming him again and again.

Please give him a break!
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:19   #69
BHPian

@Pancham : Good to hear that you and nobody else got hurt.

Surprising that I saw a beautiful video shared by someone on FB and shared it and asked my frnds to share it too. The seat belt shows how it doesn't let the soul out of the body.
Moreover it shows how things can turn ugly by a little careless ness.

Here is the link to it , I hope mods won't find it against tbhp rules.

Login | Facebook

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 2nd February 2010 at 18:22.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:39   #70

I think you and your friend are the ones' who need to grow up. Being an adult by age doesn't make anyone a good judge. I don't think it should be acceptable in team-bhp to have people who drive irresponsibly and then boast about their skills. I think AXE was quite right in pointing out about your friends skills. I don't care what you do, but if you are putting others life at risk, which is what your friend are doing when you drive like that on a public road, you deserve to be criticized.

Quote:
Hey AXE!! I guess first I would like to say that I am adult enough to judge if a driver is bad, good or worst even after such a horrific accident.
And to clarify it was not inside the city roads and it was a slight curve. I have also posted before that if our favourite formula 1 drivers can mistakes on roads then what are we in front of them. Yes i know that he made a mistake since it was drizzling and the road was wet but grow up man..we are not here to criticise a driver but share an experience that would atleast make others cautious. I pray that this kind of incident does not occur in any person's life because I know what I went through.

P.S: I never mentioned that my friend thinks he is a great driver or he is very confident about his driving.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
This is to all fellow T-BHPians, who seem to have taken "Holier than Thou" approach:

Go and check out logs of numerous T-BHP drives/meeting. Though T-BHP never recommends reckless illegal road racing, you'll see several esteemed T-BHPians claiming to have done more than 180-190 kmph (and more) on public roads. Go to "What's your top speed?" thread and you'll notice huge number of T-BHPians, who have done extreme high speed driving in the past.

The OP clearly understand hazards of high speed driving. He is neither defending what his friend did no encouraging similar stunts. He has also admitted that it was a mistake. I just fail to see any point in going on flaming him again and again.

Please give him a break!
This is not meant to offend Pancham for what he did. He is brave enough to give a honest insight of what happened. Appreciate him for coming up with this topic. There are lots and lost of guys who claim to have reached 120+ figures on there cars. Atleast few of them would have definitely had an accident. But how many of them have come forward and claimed that its their mistake for doing so.

This has to be taken in the general interest of all T-BHPians. Everyone who goes through this post will understand the ill effects of reckless driving. And also one should realise that if they know their friend is driving carelessly its better to give them a lesson.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:32   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
You have no right of putting life of other people at risk with this sort of reckless driving. Its too huge a price for others to pay for you to learn a simple lesson.
+1 to that. You can play with your life, but you don't have any right to risk others'. When I get an un-necessary adrenalin rush, I listen to my co-driver (read wife) or pull to the side of the road, get out, get some fresh air, relax and drive off.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2010, 18:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
He will never post the pictures , because it never happened in
first place.
Ohhhh..by reading this pancham will do more summersalt than he made earlier.

I think before making thread/post one has to think twice for genuinity of information/real hapennings, otherwise be ready to face bullet like questions..
i will not read this thread any more.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

That was a nasty crash. Im sure you would think twice or more before even doing anything like that again! Drive safe.

Quote:
Ans 1): Yes you are right the air bags did not inflate. We raised the same question in the workshop. They said the car did have any front impact(it was definitely fishy because the front bumper had come off).
WE ASSUME THAT IT HAD A FAULTY AIRBAG SYSTEM
The front airbags work only on frontal impact, and they didn't deploy probably cuz you didn't crash head on into anything. Please correct me if im wrong on this.

Quote:
Another problem raised in the workshop...
the guy in the workshop asked me if the seat belts got locked after the accident(which was supposed to be the case) but i did not remember anything of that sort. As far as I remember I do not think the seat belt had been locked. So there is another faulty.
Im sure they must have locked, otherwise they wouldn't have held you in place when the car was rolling over. You probably wouldn't have noticed it cuz of all that was happening around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Again whats making me think is, how come for such a big accident:
2. Was the ABS not working, how come the car skidded off, thats not how ABS works.
ABS just helps to prevent the wheels from locking up. The stability control is what keeps the car from losing the rear or sliding and so on.. But at those speeds and with so much momentum, there is nothing much any safety feature can do.
Old 1st March 2010, 21:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Its always a risky thing to push your machine to its limits.There are so many variables that come into play, you could have gotten back home without any incident ( or faced the crash first hand, as what happened).

I know that the urge to hit high speeds happens to one and all, its the timing and the situations that determine the result. None-the-less,thank your lucky stars that both of you walked out unhurt.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed