Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 11:23   #1
BHPian

I get booked for stopping on seeing a RED.

Hello BHPians,

This incident happened to me a week ago.
Appologise for the mistakes since this is my first write up
I travel to office everyday by my car.
Route: Adugodi - Koramangala BDA Complex - Koramangala Wipro Junction (KWJ)- continued till Vrindavan Tech Park,Outer Ring Road.

Koramangala BDA Complex - KBC
Koramangala Wipro Junction - KWJ

Near KWJ the road leading from KBC the stop line is about 20 feet from the road or junction since it is a narrow road. As i was about to pass this stop line saw the yellow light and slowed down to stop my car.
Had just crossed the line by a few feet.
In the mean time a dozen cars passed by without regard for the red signal.

The Traffic constable at the signal happily notes down my car number and another vehicle next to me.
I recieve a ticket in a couple of days which says "Stopping under signal lights" .

I do not understand why was I booked for stopping and following traffic rules.
The others who jumped signal their numbers was not noted down at all and let go.
Have no idea what the policeman had on his mind.

-Arun
Old 19th January 2010, 14:27   #2
BHPian

You were probably booked for crossing the marker line on the road near the signal. As you were stationary it was easy pickings for the cops (why make an effort to chase and catch the gross signal violators ). You should have crossed the signal as it was on yellow and as you were already about to cross the line. My take is that if you spot the yellow light well in advance of the stop line, only in that event you should come to a halt (helpful to others if you also raise your arm out of your window to alert others). All these things are instantaneous decisions.
I generally when I drive decide the course of action after watching the signal position for as distant possible so that the speed can be accordingly calibrated.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
As i was about to pass this stop line saw the yellow light and slowed down to stop my car.
Had just crossed the line by a few feet.
In my opinion, you should've gone ahead as I understand that you'd almost hit the stop line & by the time you actually stopped you'd crossed the stop line. Per law, you should not cross the stop line & probably been picked as scape goat that day. The amber light glows to alert you to prepare in stopping & not to actually stop. So if you're somewhere near the stop line, you can still go ahead.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

The ticket says 'stopping under signal lights'', so they mean your car crossed the
marker line and stopped under the signal light?. Those who jumbed signals were escaped, so cops might have thought that you were also tried to jump the signal but stopped on the line so the punishment?
Old 19th January 2010, 14:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
You were probably booked for crossing the marker line on the road near the signal. As you were stationary it was easy pickings for the cops (why make an effort to chase and catch the gross signal violators ).
^True, in my IMO. You are booked as you crossed the stop line.You should have continued and crossed the signal. By stopping beyond the line, as emkay said, you were a easy catch.
I have been challaned way back in 1999-2000 for crossing the line in Bangalore when I was studying there.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:42   #6
BANNED

Very Unfortunate Arun

But Generally when I see the Amber and I have to break hard to stop. I do not stop, (scared of getting Hit as everyone is on a rush to cross the signal). I stop only if the Amber is around 20-30 metres away from where I am.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

At many big junction there are cameras which take a closeup snap of your vehicle and its number and you will get the bill in 2 days.The point has already been mentioned here.It is just that either you clear off or stay behind or else pray for your luck.You were the scape goat that day.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what emkay has said.

You had crossed the line hence you got the ticket.

On seeing Yellow, either you stop (Before the stop line) Else if you cannot stop then cross the signal.

Only exceptions are bumper to bumper traffic where signal changes colors but the traffic is such that you are are stuck at the same point.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:52   #9
BHPian

+1 Shishir,

You need to decide before hand & be on either side,

1 Cross
2. Be behind the line
Old 19th January 2010, 15:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

You were booked, because you were "catch-able". Sitting right there, red-handed, where the cop had to just reach out and pick you.

On a more serious note - it is a tricky situation. You dont want to jump the light, so you - the law abiding driver - stop. But the vehicle will only stop where it can come to a halt - irrespective of the lights & lines. You dont want to jump because the light is then turning green for some one else & you may have some one waiting to rush into your path. And neither do you want to stop early - because you have a green to go, and someone behind you is expecting you to go through.

Tough call.
The one prayer I have as I approach a signal - " God, no ambiguity, please ! ". Aar ya paar.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:27   #11
BHPian

Looks like, when those mamus write something on there notepad, it actually does result in some fines for some people.

I was, until now, under the impression that they are just acting to note down vehicle numbers.

Regards,
Old 19th January 2010, 15:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The one prayer I have as I approach a signal - " God, no ambiguity, please ! ". Aar ya paar.
Same here, I follow lane discipline almost 95% of the time, but people force me to break this especially at traffic signals (balance 5%). You will see people cross your way from left, right, front back.....except from top at traffic signals.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the reply guys,

But the intersection and stop line is about 20 feet from each other, so stopped. Even if i had continued i would have created a jam.
It was bumper to bumper traffic.
I will follow your suggestions next time around .

Fines can be checked or paid online in karnataka.
Visit Welcome to Bangalore One for more info

Arun

Last edited by arunkumars : 20th January 2010 at 09:43.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
I recieve a ticket in a couple of days which says "Stopping under signal lights" .
-Arun
Now you know, Never stop under signal lights. Lol.

Arun, for one thing, do not be indecisive while you are driving. If you see the yellow when you are 20 feet away from the stop line, then you can stop not when you are so close.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Looks like, when those mamus write something on there notepad, it actually does result in some fines for some people.

I was, until now, under the impression that they are just acting to note down vehicle numbers.

Regards,
The mamus are actually too eager to write always, any time and any point of the day. I dislike it when they scribble something on that small pad and I have to pay the fine or bribe the mamu so as to let me go. The mamu more often than not opts for the later.
I don't blame the mamu for this though, its we people who should stop bribing them to get us off the hook.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks